A mystery gas injured nine people in the pool area at the Sea Crest Resort on South Ocean Boulevard Monday afternoon, sending two children to the hospital.
Lt. Jon Evans of the Myrtle Beach Fire Department said the gas was like a “cloud” that formed in an outdoor pool deck area in the resort at 803 S. Ocean Blvd. and drifted down to the neighboring hotel to the south. The pool area was evacuated and traffic was temporarily rerouted away from the hotel as rescue crews responded.
Evans said their hazmat team was called to the scene at 1:23 p.m. Monday.
At least nine people have complained of “respiratory and skin-related issues due to some kind of cloud that was near the pool area,” he said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sun News
Two children were transported to a local hospital, the others were treated at the scene, he said. The condition of the children was unknown.
The chemical that caused the poisonous cloud was also a mystery Monday afternoon.
“I’m not sure if it was just something to do with the pool, or something else,” Evans said.
“We were monitoring the area to try to figure out where it started, where it happened. At this time, it seems like whatever it was has cleared up,” Evans said, as hazmat technicians packed up to clear the scene less than two hours later. “We’ve not had anything to show up on our monitor to pinpoint exactly where it was.”
The S.C. Department of Health and Environment Control was also on scene Monday investigating the incident.