Police roundup | Loris man charged with illegally burning tires



Man charged with illegally burning tires

A Loris man was charged Sunday after he was repeatedly warned for two days about burning tires on his property, according to authorities.

Terry Eugene Spivey, 55, was charged with four counts of illegally burning waste tires and one count of failing to notify authorities about his outdoor burn, said Scott Hawkins, S.C. Forestry Commission spokesman.

Between Friday and Sunday, Hawkins said members of the Horry County Fire Rescue Department responded to Spivey’s property about an illegal fire. They warned him about illegally burning waste tires and asked him to extinguish the blaze.

On Sunday, a Forestry Commission investigator went to Spivey’s about the illegal burn and arrested him, Hawkins said.

“He had repeated warnings between Friday and Sunday’s arrest,” Hawkins said.

If convicted, Spivey faces a maximum fine of $470 on each count of illegally burning tires and $262.50 on the failure to notify forestry about his outdoor fire, Hawkins said.


Bomb found on front porch of home

Conway police continue to investigate the discovery of a bomb on the front porch of an unoccupied home in the Woodcreek at Conway subdivision.

Officers were called at 7:30 a.m. Friday to the home at 2772 Woodcreek Drive for a suspicious device being found on the front porch of the home, according to the police report released Monday morning.

One of the owners of the home told police he found the device on the front porch when they returned there, according to the report. Police determined someone tried to damage the home by means of a destructive device between 6 p.m. Nov. 21 and 7:30 a.m. Friday.

Officers set up a perimeter around the home for safety and retrieved the device, according to the report.


Myrtle Beach fire under investigation

Myrtle Beach authorities are investigating a fire that destroyed a mobile home early Saturday, according to a police report.

The blaze was reported just before 2 a.m. Saturday at 1227 Pridgen Road and the mobile home was deemed a total loss, according to the report. The home was fully involved with fire when Myrtle Beach firefighters arrived at the scene.

A 25-year-old man, who was inside the home sleeping when the fire began, told police he believed the fire may have been intentionally set, according to the report. The victim was taken to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center for burns on his hand.

A 51-year-old man was the last occupant of the home and was in the process of moving his belongings out of the home, according to the report. That man was not at the scene at the time of the fire, but did lose some belongings.

Fire officials told police the nature of the fire was suspicious because there were several gas cans around the home, according to the report. A fire official did not mention to police if an accelerant was used, but the fire is under investigation.


Phone theft, gun threat report near mall

An 18-year-old man told Myrtle Beach police a man stole his cell phone and then he was threatened with a gun when he jumped on the suspect’s vehicle in the parking lot of Coastal Grand Mall, according to a police report.

The victim told officers that about 5 p.m. Sunday he was at the mall and a man asked to use his cell phone to call a friend to pick him up, police said. The victim said the man spoke to someone on the phone and then asked him to walk outside to the parking lot so the suspect’s friend could see him.

The victim said the suspect got into a white Chevrolet Malibu, which was driven by another man, according to the report. The victim said he jumped on the vehicle when the suspect told the driver to leave the parking lot with the victim’s cell phone.

The victim said the suspect then told the driver to get the pistol to get the victim off the vehicle, according to the report. The victim said he didn’t see a gun, but he got off the vehicle and they drove away. The victim then contacted mall security, who called police. The phone was valued at $300.


Woman guilty on drug charges

A Conway woman pleaded guilty on drug charges Monday, according to the U.S. Attorney’s office.

Julie Hardee Winnell, 37, entered a guilty plea in federal court to conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute controlled substances, said U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles.

Winnell has not been sentenced by a judge, but faces a maximum penalty of a $1 million fine and/or 20 years imprisonment plus a special $100 assessment.

Winnell purchased and sold oxycodone and roxycodone pills between Oct. 2009 and April 2012, Nettles said. She was also involved with forging prescriptions used to obtain the drugs.

Agents with the Drug Enforcement Agency investigated the case.


Man fakes military honors for benefits

A Myrtle Beach man plead guilty in federal court Monday admitting to falsely receiving veteran benefits, said U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles.

David A. Bevilacqua, 65, pleaded guilty to theft of government property. He has not been sentenced, and faces a maximum penalty of a $250,000 fine and/or 10 years imprisonment plus a $100 special assessment.

Bevilacqua applied for medical benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs claiming to be honorably discharged when he’d actually been dishonorably discharged for going absent without leave (AWOL), Nettles said.

He also claimed to have received a Bronze Star, two Purple Hearts a Vietnam Service Medal and a Vietnam Cross of Gallantry. He also said he was in Force Recon and Special Forces which gave him increased benefits.

Bevilacqua received medical treatment from the VA between June 2007 and Oct. 2011 based on the false claims.


Sex offender fails to register

A Loris man who failed to register as a sex offender pleaded guilty in federal court Monday, said U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles.

Larry Devon Greene, 29, was convicted of aggravated statutory rape in Tennessee in Dec. 2010. When he was released from prison in June 2011, he signed a form requiring he register as a sex offender, but failed to notify authorities in Tennessee or register in South Carolina when he moved to Loris in 2011.

Greene has not been sentenced but faces a $250,000.00 fine and/or imprisonment for 10 years, plus a special assessment of $100.

From staff reports