Inclement weather on our way this weekend from the forecast for Hurricane Matthew to skirt by South Carolina has prompted many cancellations and postponements.
Don’t fret, though, because many groups already have arranged new dates for events – foodie fests such as the “Lip-Rippin’ Chilympics Chili Cook-Off” benefit in Murrells Inlet, on Oct. 16, and “Festa Italiana,” Nov. 12-13 – and some outings will be out a few days, but with plans to be back in full gear, including the 26th annual Pawleys Island Festival of Music & Art, wrapping up Oct. 13-15, and the annual “Walk to End Alzheimer’s,” 1.5 miles for the Alzheimer’s Association, rescheduled for 2:45 p.m. Nov. 5 in Myrtle Beach’s Grand Park.
In announcing on Tuesday afternoon the rebooking of the charity walk from this Saturday, Taylor Wilson, director of communications and advocacy for the Alzheimer’s Association S.C. Chapter, confirmed a new walk date in less than 24 hours. She also used the timing of the news in a safety-first mode to highlight the organization’s outreach to “provide resources and information ... that can help caregivers navigate” any possible evacuation process. (See alz.org/sc/in_my_community_14428.asp.)
“We want everyone to remain safe,” Wilson said, “but realize the difficulty and confusion an evacuation can cause for those suffering from dementia. ... Our biggest concern is that those folks who are prone to wander will get lost and potentially hurt, so we want to prepare for that, as well as those who are on specific medications for other chronic conditions, because they might not be able to return to their homes quickly – anything we can do to help minimize the stress for our caregivers to think through.”
A crew member at Conway Medical Center also confirmed Wednesday that its “Walk to Remember,” an annual memorial gathering for people missing their babies though pregnancy loss, stillbirth or newborn death, remains ready to step forward at 2 p.m. Sunday at the hospital’s patient services and birthplace entrance, rain or shine, indoors or out.
▪ At The Rice Museum, 633 Front St., Georgetown, “Director’s Circle” weekend: Cancellations for reception for Thursday in Prevost Gallery, art class/lecture and reception with Jonathan Green for Saturday, and “Gospel Brunch” Sunday. However, “Soffrito and Beyond” cooking class, 2 p.m. Monday at Kudzu Bakery, nearby at 210 King St., for $65 ($50 members), and “The Gullah Tour of Georgetown,” 9 a.m.-noon Tuesday (rescheduled from Friday), for $40 ($30 members), are still on. 843-546-7423, www.ricemuseum.org, or email email@example.com.
▪ Rummage sale, rescheduled from for Thursday-Saturday to 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 13-14 and 8:30-11:30 a.m. Oct. 14, at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, 801 11th Ave. N., North Myrtle Beach. 843-249-1169.
▪ Opening of Swamp Fox Players’ “And the Winner Is,” for 8 p.m. Friday-Saturday; delayed until 7:30 p.m. Oct. 13-15 and 21-22, and 2:30 p.m. Oct. 16 and 23, at Strand Theater, 710 Front St., Georgetown. $18. 843-527-2924 or www.swampfoxplayers.com.
▪ “Music on Main” finale, with Jim Quick & Coastline, rescheduled from Thursday to 7-9 p.m. Oct. 13 at North Myrtle Beach’s Horseshoe, at Main Street and Ocean Boulevard. 843-280-5594, ext. 3; or parks.nmb.us.
▪ “Fall Garden Festival,” rescheduled from for Friday-Saturday to 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 14-15, at at Inlet Culinary Garden in Murrells Inlet. 843-357-1194, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ “Cruise to the Coast Antique & Classic Car/Truck Show,” rescheduled from Saturday to 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 15, at Barefoot Landing, in North Myrtle Beach. www.chicoracarclub.com/nmbshow.html and 843-361-3045, 866-805-5642 or www.nmbevents.com.
▪ Men’s Ministry’s fourth annual Bog-Off Competition – benefiting Wildlife Supper Event in March – rescheduled from Saturday to 4-7 p.m. Oct. 15 (register by 2:45 p.m.), at Juniper Bay Baptist Church, 5265 Juniper Bay Road, Conway. Meals $6. 843-397-2787.
▪ “Lip-Rippin’ Chilympics Chili Cook-Off” for Surfrider Foundation Grand Strand Chapter, rescheduled from Sunday to noon Oct. 16 at Hot Fish Club, King Street Grille, and Morse Park Landing, all on U.S. 17 Business, on south end of Murrells Inlet. 843-333-2034 or surfridergrandstrand.org.
▪ Myrtle Beach Corvette Club dinner meeting, rescheduled from Sunday to 5 p.m. Oct. 23 at Barefoot Resort & Golf clubhouse, near Barefoot Landing in North Myrtle Beach. Meal $20. 843-294-0127 or www.myrtlebeachcorvetteclub.com.
▪ “Walk to End Alzheimer’s,” rescheduled from Saturday to 2:45 p.m. Nov. 5 at Myrtle Beach’s Grand Park. 843-614-6608 or alz.org/sc.
▪ Horry County Democratic Party/West Side Democrats’ “Fall Social BBQ, rescheduled for 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Nov. 5 at Copper’s Restaurant, 201 Laurel St, Conway. Email email@example.com.
▪ “Festa Italiana,” rescheduled from Saturday-Sunday to 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Nov. 12 and 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Nov. 13, at Broadway at the Beach, along 29th Avenue North in in Myrtle Beach. 848-333-7059 or or www.sonsofitalymb.com.
▪ At Alabama Theatre in North Myrtle Beach: Loretta Lynn concert postponed from Saturday to Feb. 18. Also, “One the Show” canceled through Saturday. 843-272-1111 or www.alabama-theatre.com.
▪ Pawleys Island Festival of Music & Art: Cancellations for Zuill Bailey on Thursday, The Company Men on Friday, and Barrett Baber on Saturday. Fest resumes, with all events at 7 p.m. at The Reserve Golf Club of Pawleys Island, 18 Reserve Drive, north off Willbrook Drive, west of Litchfield Beach, with Marcus Anderson, Oct. 13, for $25 or $45; John Brown’s Little Big Band, Oct. 14, for $25, $35 or $75; and The Doo Wop Project, Oct. 15, for $30 or $50. 843-626-8911 or pawleysmusic.com.
▪ At Palace Theatre, at Broadway at the Beach, “Hot Jersey Nights” shows for Wednesday-Saturday, and Ron White, for Saturday, canceled. 843-448-0588, 800-905-4228 or www.palacemb.com.
▪ “Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike,” shows through Sunday canceled, resuming Oct. 13-23 at Atlantic Stage, in Myrtle Beach Mall, at U.S. 17 and S.C. 22.877-287-8587 or www.atlanticstage.com.
▪ George Thorogood & the Destroyers concert Friday at House of Blues, in North Myrtle Beach, canceled. 843-272-3000 or www.hob.com/myrtlebeach.
▪ South by Southeast Music Feast with Jonathan Byrd & the Pickup Cowboys, for Saturday, at Myrtle Beach Train Depot, canceled. 843-251-6402 or southbysoutheast.org.
▪ FireHouse and Little Texas, for Saturday at Swamp Fox Entertainment Complex in Marion, canceled. 843-206-0862, or www.swampfoxentertainmentcomplex.com.
▪ Legends in Concert, at Broadway at the Beach: Shows canceled through Saturday, resuming Monday. 843-238-7827 or www.legendsinconcert.com.
▪ Little River Chamber of Commerce’s Little River “ShrimpFest,” for Saturday-Sunday, canceled. 843-249-6604 or littlerivershrimpfest.org.
▪ Blessings of the animals canceled, for Saturday at Good Shepherd Anglican Church in Myrtle Beach, and St. Paul’s Church in Conway.
▪ S.C. Watermedia Society’s 39th annual Juried Exhibition premiere, for Saturday, at Franklin G. Burroughs-Simeon B. Chapin Art Museum in Myrtle Beach, postponed till date to be announced. 843-238-2510 or myrtlebeachartmuseum.org.
▪ Golf outing by St. James/Knights of Columbus for Saturday at Burning Ridge Golf Course, canceled, with rescheduling for November to be announced. 843-365-8617, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Family camping day for Saturday at Solid Rock Baptist Church in Burgess community, canceled. 843-450-0620.
▪ Baby & Children’s Health Fair, for Saturday, outside HealthFinders, in Coastal Grand mall in Myrtle Beach, canceled, with rescheduled date to be announced. 843-839-9933.
▪ Rivertown Bluegrass Society concert, for Saturday at Horry-Georgetown Technical in Conway, canceled. 843-457-2854 or www.rivertownbluegrasssociety.com.
▪ The Legacy Motown Revue concert, for Sunday – and rescheduled from Aug. 31 – in Sunset Beach’s Village Park, canceled. www.sunsetbeachconcerts.com.
▪ “Made in the Shade” concert series finale, “Jazz Under the Oaks,” with Denny Hess Trio and Kevin Jayroe, for Sunday on lawn outside Kaminski House Museum in Georgetown, canceled, with new date to be announced. 843-546-7706 or kaminskimuseum.org.
▪ Brookgreen Gardens, on U.S. 17, between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach, closed through Saturday. 843-235-6000, 800-849-1931 or www.brookgreen.org.
▪ In North Myrtle Beach: J. Bryan Floyd Community Center and North Myrtle Beach Park & Sports Complex, closing at 5 p.m. Thursday-Friday; and Aquatic & Fitness Center, closing 7 p.m. Thursday and 5 p.m. Friday. All will stay closed Saturday. 843-280-5555 or www.nmb.us.
▪ Horry County Recycling Convenience Centers: closing at 2 p.m. Friday, closed Saturday; and tentatively reopening 1 p.m. Sunday. 843-347-1651 or www.solidwasteauthority.org.
▪ Franklin G. Burroughs-Simeon B. Chapin Art Museum in Myrtle Beach, closed Friday-Saturday; but check for Sunday. 843-238-2510 or myrtlebeachartmuseum.org.
▪ Ingram Planetarium, 7625 High Market St., Sunset Beach, N.C. (910-575-0033 or museumplanetarium.org), and Museum of Coastal Carolina, 21 E. Second St., Ocean Isle Beach, N.C. ( 910-579-1016 or www.museumplanetarium.org) – both closed Friday-Saturday. However, “StarWatch: International Observe the Moon Night” rescheduled from for Saturday to 7 p.m. Oct. 15.
▪ “Out of the Darkness” Community Walk, for American Foundation for Suicide Prevention rescheduled from Saturday, to 10 a.m. Oct. 22 at Broadway at the Beach, near Margaritaville, on 29th Avenue North in Myrtle Beach. 336-707-0022 or www.afsp.org/myrtle.
▪ Grand Strand Technology Council activities canceled, and coworking space closed, through Sunday. 843-900-7478 or gstechcouncil.org.
▪ Coastal Grand mall, in Myrtle Beach, closed Thursday-Saturday. 843-839-9100 or www.coastalgrand.com.
▪ Artspace 506, 506 37th Ave. S., North Myrtle Beach, with “Conjure” exhibit by Talbot Easton Selby through Nov. 12, closed for weekend, reopening 11 a.m. Oct. 12. 843-273-0399 or www.artspace506.com.
▪ Various Grand Strand Health practices and facilities, closed through Sunday: Grand Strand Primary Care, Heart & Vascular Care, Surgical Care, Spine & Neuro Care, The Breast Center, and HealthFinders, all in Myrtle Beach; South Strand Medical Center Outpatient Services and Advanced Wound Center; and Waterway Primary Care sites in Little River, Tabor City and Calabash; and Carolina Forest Imaging Center. 843-692-1053.
Contact STEVE PALISIN at 843-444-1764.