If you’re looking to scare up a good time in honor of Halloween that goes beyond the kiddie-centric trick or treating, then never fear, the Grand Strand area is oozing with hauntingly ghoulish festivals, costume contests, and parties for the big kids this weekend.
• Dr. Scream’s Haunted House and Interactive Ambulance Ride
Get ready to scream and be terrified as you take the tour of this popular haunted house attraction that also features an interactive ambulance ride.
Where: 5033 Dick Pond Road, Myrtle Beach
When: 7 tonight, Friday and Saturday
Cost: $15 per person
For more information, call 748-0855, or visit www.drscreams.com.
• Fright Nights on the Boardwalk
At dusk, roam the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk with zombies, a beer garden and live music and enjoy discounts at participating area shops, restaurants, and attractions.
Where: Myrtle Beach Boardwalk and Ocean Boulevard, 14th Ave. N. to 2nd Ave N., Myrtle Beach
When: Begins at dusk, Friday and Saturday
Cost: Free to roam with the zombies, select businesses in the area offering discounted pricing.
For more info, visit www.myrtlebeachdowntown.com.
• Terror Under the Bridge
In its ninth year, this haunted house offers interactive thrills and evoke screams from its attendees as they take an eerie tour.
Where: X Gym Sports Mall, 568 George Bishop Parkway, Myrtle Beach
When: 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. through Saturday (Nov. 1).
Cost: $10 per person
For more information, call 446-2822, or visit www.terrorunderthebridge.com.
Whose Haunting is it Anyway?
Prepare to laugh with the Carolina Improv Company as the cast takes audience suggestions to create a Halloween-themed comedy show.
Where: Uptown Theatre, inside Myrtle Beach Mall, 10177 North Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach
When: 7:30 tonight and Friday (which is an ages 18-and-older only show)
Cost: $11 per person
For more information, call 272-4242, or visit www.carolinaimprov.com.
• Halloween Costume Contest at Malibu's Surf Bar
Dress up in your scariest costume and participate in this popular dance club’s costume contest to win more than $1,500 in cash and prizes.
Where: Malibu's Surf Bar, 1320 Celebrity Circle, CS-6, Myrtle Beach
When: 8 tonight
Cost: Free admission with costume
For more information, or to sign up in advance, call 444-3500, or visit www.celebrationsnitelife.com.
• Halloween Party at Castano’s Italian Steakhouse
Stop in for spooky cocktails and appetizer specials, live music, and prizes for best costume.
Where: Castano’s Italian Steakhouse, 4926 US 17, Myrtle Beach
When: 4 p.m. Friday
Cost: Free admission
For more information, call 361-2000, or visit www.castanosrestaurant.com.
• Halloween on the Marshwalk Adult Costume Contest
The Marshwalk in Murrells Inlet will hold its annual costume for adults (there’s a kids’ costume contest, too, but Surge isn’t a kiddie magazine). The adult costume contest begins at 7 p.m., with cash and gift card prizes available for each category.
Where: Marshwalk, 4123 US 17 Business, Murrells Inlet
When: 7 p.m. Friday
Cost: FreeFor more information, call 497-3450, or visit marshwalk.com/special-events/.
Wet Willie's Halloween Bash
Come dressed to scare and participate in this daiquiri shop’s costume contest to win first place ($250 cash), while second place will receive a $50 gift card and third a $25 gift card. Sip on drink special thoughout the evening include $2 Bloody Finger shots.
Where: Wet Willie’s at Broadway at the Beach, 1306 Celebrity Circle, #106, Myrtle Beach
When: 10 p.m. Friday
Cost: No cover
For more information, call 448-5653, or visit www.wetwillies.com/Locations/Myrtle_Beach.html.
• Dancing in the Dark Halloween Costume Party
This electronic dance music costume contest and party will feature national touring DJ, The White Panda, as well as local spinmeisters DJ Cariello and DJ Tellis, prizes, confetti canyons, and more. Must be 18 to enter, 21 to drink.
Where: House of Blues, 4640 US 17, North Myrtle Beach
When: 9 p.m. Friday
Cost: $39 per person
For info or to buy tickets, call 272-3000, or www.houseofblues.com/myrtlebeach.
And more screams
• Clarion 101 West Restaurant & Lounge, 101 Fantasy Harbour Blvd., Myrtle Beach, Halloween Celebration, 7 p.m. Friday. 236-1000.
• Klocker’s Tavern, 4807 U.S. 17 Bypass S., Myrtle Beach, Halloween Party
• Pine Lakes Tavern,5201 N. Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach, Halloween Party at 10 p.m. Friday with Velvet Underground tribute Loaded, Cat Puncher and The Mayor. No cover. 449-4758.
• The Salt Water Grille, 7036 S.C. 90 S., Longs, Halloween Party on Friday night with DJ Rocky, 390-1001.
• Windjammer Pub, 2300 Highway 179, Little River, Halloween Party with Rocky’s Night Life at 7 p.m. Friday; No cover. 281-0750.
• Suck Bang Blow Original, 3393 U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet, Halloween II Music Festival starting at 3 p.m. Saturday, featuring costume contest with $200 first place prize and 15 bands headlined by local metal act Prowler. 651-7960.