Shopping, wine tasting, and food sampling. I think I’m going to enjoy checking out some of the free and cheap events that will take place in Myrtle Beach over the next few weeks. Here’s the list:
• Every Friday during the months of September and October, Travinia Italian Kitchen is hosting a wine tasting event from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in a balcony suite overlooking The Market Common (104 Radcliffe). Admission is $10, which includes wine tastings and appetizer pairings. The entrance to the building is located in between Barnes & Noble and Travinia Italian Kitchen, and signs will direct you to the event. Call for reservations: 233-8500.
Saturday and Sunday
• Lulu’s Café at 1903 N. Ocean Blvd. is holding an open air market from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday. Admission is free. The market will feature handmade arts, crafts and vintage wares. There will also be live music and a kids’ art area.
• On Saturday at 10 a.m., all Lowe’s Home Improvement stores will be holding a free Build and Grow Clinic for kids. The kids will be building a Chuck E. Cheese roller game. Call your preferred location to register your child.
• The Annual Dead Dog Saloon 9/11 Benefit will begin at 10 a.m. and run until closing time. Admission is free. This event includes free food, live music, live auctions, silent auctions, 50/50 drawings and more. Proceeds will benefit local police and fire departments.
• The Market Common is hosting a Great stARTs fundaiser for the Franklin G. Burroughs-Simeon B. Chapin Art Museum from 5 to 7 p.m. Tickets, which you will need to buy in advance at Piggly Wiggly at The Market Common or at the art museum, are $10 each. Your ticket will get you food and drink samples at participating restaurants and stores, including Tommy Bahama, Gordon Biersch, Travinia Italian Kitchen, Devo Olive Oil, Ultimate California Pizza, P.F. Chang’s, Nacho Hippo, Anthropologie and Pottery Barn
• The Horry Georgetown Home Builders Association is holding its annual Home Improvement & Outdoor Living show on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center. Admission is $5; kids under 16 get in free. This event features more than 200 exhibitors who will be showcasing home improvement products and services. The show runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.
• On Sunday at 10:30 a.m., Pottery Barn at The Market Common is hosting a free class on autumnal decorating. All attendees will also get a 10 percent discount on featured products. To register, call 238-0361.