Latest News

Domestic violence charge involving Myrtle Beach police officer dismissed

Criminal domestic violence charges have been dismissed against a man who worked as a Myrtle Beach police officer at the time of his arrest, according to a prosecutor.

Charges against Adam David Marks, 33, were dismissed earlier this month because of issues with evidence including a witness statement and cooperation, Assistant Solicitor Paul Taylor said.

Marks was arrested July 11 and charged with first-offense criminal domestic violence, according to police reports. He was released later that day on $500 bail.

At the time of his arrest, Myrtle Beach police officials said Marks, who began working with the department in 1999 and was assigned to the patrol division, was suspended from his position until an internal investigation was completed.

On Thursday, Myrtle Beach police Capt. David Knipes said Marks no longer works with the department.

The charge was dismissed because the witness in the case, Marks wife, was not cooperative in the prosecution of the case, Taylor said.

Officers responded at 4:30 a.m. July 11 to Marks' home in Myrtle Beach after a call was made to 911. The telephone line was left open and dispatchers could hear a verbal altercation, according to a police report.

Marks' wife, also 33, told police her husband had assaulted her during an argument.

The woman told police Marks held her arms down, refused to let her call 911 and punched her twice in the face, according to the report. The woman also complained of pain in her right ear and said Marks had hit her several times there.

She told police she scratched Marks in the face to get him off of her and this was the first physical altercation she has had with him, according to the report. The officer, who responded to the incident, wrote in his report that the woman had numerous wounds, but she refused medical treatment.

Marks told the officers that the woman struck herself in the face and he tried not to argue with the woman, according to the report.

The woman told police she did not want Marks to be arrested.

Officers noted Marks and the woman had a strong smell of alcohol and the two told officers they had returned home from a friend's house when the incident occurred, according to the report.

More details will be posted as they become available.