Salt Games begin
The second annual Native Sons Salt Games, benefiting the Surfrider Foundation Grand Strand Chapter (333-2034, 222-8288 or surfridergrandstrand.org), kick off for two full days through Sunday, include a pro-am surfing tournament and evening concerts both days, and on such activities Saturday as a children’s run for ages 5-12 at 11 a.m., bikini contest 3 p.m., and lifeguard games 6 p.m. Full schedule at www.thesaltgames.com. 448-0585.
Details | Open 8 a.m. on Ocean Boulevard between Eighth and Ninth avenues North in Myrtle Beach. Free to attend. Some contests have registration fees.
Paddlefest benefits home
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sun News
The Third annual “Family Fun Day & Paddlefest,” benefiting Tara Hall Home for Boys of Georgetown County, includes paddle launches at 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for trips lasting 2-3 hours to or from Tara Hall, and for people not paddling, a festival ($10 admission) opens at 10 a.m., including live music by local groups, arts and crafts vendors, games, a children’s barrel race for ages 8-12, kayak race for ages 13-16, a pileau dinner, and door prizes. Details at 546-3000, 546-3666 or www.tarahall.org.
Details | at Mingo Creek, on Van Vlake Street, off S.C. 41/51, between Hemingway and Andrews, in northwest Georgetown County. Fee for paddlers: $30 ages 17 and older, $15 ages 8-16, and free ages 4-7 (with adult on vessel), all including paddle trip and meal; kayak rentals $10.
Some other special events
• EASY ESCAPES: “Armored Cruiser North Carolina (ACR-12) and the Great War” program, showcasing World War I firearms, clothing, and equipment from costumed collectors, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at Battleship North Carolina, open 8 a.m.-8 p.m. at at U.S. Routes 17, 74, 76 and 421 in Wilmington, N.C., Free with admission: $12 ages 12 and older; $10 ages 65 and older, and active duty or retired military with ID; $6 ages 6-11; and free ages 5 and younger.910-251-5797
• Myrtle Beach Car Club cruise-in, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Moe’s Southwest Grill and Rotelli’s Pizza and Pasta, on Graduate Road, off U.S. 501 in Conway. Free. 742-9802.
• Conway Downtown Alive’s “Rivertown Wine-Around” wine tasting, 3-6 p.m. across downtown. $20. 248-6260 or www.conwayalive.com.
• Annual spaghetti dinner, benefiting North Strand Housing Shelter, 4:30-7:30 p.m. at Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church, 1100 Eighth Ave. N., North Myrtle Beach. $8. 504-0032.
• “Wine Tasting from the South – South Africa and South America” benefit for Brookgreen Gardens, 5:30-8 p.m. at gardens, on U.S. 17, between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach. $50 members, otherwise $65. 235-6016 orwww.brookgreen.org
• Father’s Day-themed social dance, by USA Dance Inc. Grand Strand Chapter 6024, 7-10 p.m. at Myrtle Beach Base Recreation Center, 800 Gabreski Lane, near The Market Common, with music provided by Rosalie and Jack Drust. Singles welcome, beverages supplied, and everyone’s asked to bring a snack to share. $7 members, otherwise $9. 808-3397 orwww.usadancegrandstrand.org
• Oceanfront Merchants Association’s Hot Summer Nights” soul concert by Reggie Sullivan Band, 8-11 p.m. in Myrtle Beach’s Plyler Park, at Mr. Joe White Avenue and North Ocean Boulevard. Free.www.myrtlebeachdowntown.com
• “The Fantasticks,” 8 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays and 3 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays through June 29 at Stage Left Theatre Company, 3064 DeVille St., Myrtle Beach, between Nevers and Lewis streets, and next to Coastal Dance Centre. $15. 232-0339 orwww.stagelefttheatremb.com
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeach