Honor Flight Grand Strand/Myrtle Beach
Where | Round trip from Myrtle Beach to the war memorials in Washington, D.C.
What and when | Seventh and final daylong journey, this Wednesday
Information | 957-8212, www.honorflightmyrtlebeach.com or email@example.com
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sun News
By the numbers
517 – Collective number of World War II-era veterans who have taken one of these six day trips: 86 on Nov. 10, 2010; 90 on May 25, 2011; 85 on Oct. 26, 2011; 90 on May 23, 2012; 88 on Oct. 24, 2012; and 78 on Aug. 28, 2013
77 – Veterans scheduled to go this Wednesday – 47 from World War II era, 30 from Korean War – a first time with these veterans aboard
500th – veteran to fly, Claudius Huggins of Myrtle Beach, in 2013
10 – Female veterans who took Honor Flight – 8 in previous six treks, and two this week
By the timetable
Agenda for this Wednesday – all times approximate:
8 a.m. – Depart Myrtle Beach International Airport
9:29 – Arrive at Reagan National Airport in Washington, D.C.
10:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m. – Tour National World War II Memorial, on the National Mall
12:15-12:45 p.m. – Bus tour of Washington, with lunch aboard bus
12:45-1:15 – Tour Navy Memorial
1:30-2:15 – Time to tour any or all of the memorials for Korean War veterans, Vietnam veterans, and Abraham Lincoln
2:30-3 – U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial – also known as the Iwo Jima Memorial
3:15 – Arrive at Women in Military Service For America Memorial
4 – See “Changing of the Guard” ritual at Arlington National Cemetery
4:45 – Depart Arlington National Cemetery
5:15 – Arrive at Reagan National Airport, and depart on return flight at 6
7:30 – Land in Myrtle Beach
Other regional Honor Flight Network trips continuing
• Honor Flight Upstate, based in Simpsonville, from Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport in Greer, April 22 – 864-869-8387 (VETS), 864-963-5774 or www.honorflightupstatesc.com.
• Honor Flight South Carolina, from Columbia Metropolitan Airport, May 7 – 803-582-8826 or honorflightsc.com.
• Honor Flight Lowcountry, from Charleston International Airport, planning next trip for Sept. 6 – 843-906-0399 or honorflightlowcountry.com.
• Honor Flight Savannah, chartered bus trips from Pooler, Ga., May 16-18 and Sept. 5-7 – 912-367-9020 or www.honorflightsavannah.org.
More details | www.honorflight.org
Other ways to honor heroes
WORLD WAR II REGISTRY
SIXTH ANNUAL ‘MILITARY APPRECIATION DAYS’
By | City of Myrtle Beach and PGBA Inc.
When | All of May
Special events include |
• Traveling Vietnam Wall – “The Wall That Heals “ – open 24 hours daily, May 14-18, near Myrtle Beach’s Crabtree Memorial Gymnasium, accessed from Farrow Parkway, by The Market Common.
• 5K Run, 7:30 a.m. May 24, on Ocean Boulevard from Plyler Park Mr. Joe White Avenue and including the boardwalk – free for military (active duty, reserves and veterans), otherwise $20.
• Memorial Day weekend parade, with Montel Williams, Navy veteran and former talk show host, as grand marshal, 10:30 a.m. May 24 on Myrtle Beach’s Ocean Boulevard, from 27th Avenue North southward to Ninth Avenue North.
• Family Picnic, noon-2 p.m. May 24, on Ocean Boulevard, with military exhibits, children’s activities, concert by Andrew Thielen Big Band, and meet-and-greet with Montel Williams. Free meals from Omar Shriners chefs for all military personnel and veterans, and their families
• Veterans Beard & ’Stache Beach Bash, on May 24, for veterans, with such categories as Full Beard, Corporate Beard, Partial Beard (Chops, Goatees, Chin Straps),’Stache, Long Beard, Long ‘Stache, Epic Beard, and for all women – even those who are not veterans – Ladies’ Faux. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up, and register formally 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m. that day at “Beard Table,” then judging starts at 12:30 p.m.
• Memorial Day Ceremony, with Grand Strand Patriotic Alliance, 11 a.m. May 26 at Myrtle Beach Convention Center Plaza, on Oak Street at 21st Avenue North.
Information | 918-1014 or www.militaryappreciationdays.com
By | Myrtle Beach Pelicans, the Advanced-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, and Embrace Hospice
To | Salute veterans at 11 baseball games this year
Where | TicketReturn.com Field at Pelicans Ballpark, 1251 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach, at Grissom Parkway
When | all 7:05 p.m.:
• Saturdays – April 19; May 3, 17 and 31; June 7, and 21; July 12 and 19; and Aug. 2 and 30.
• “Military Appreciation Night,” June 6 – on 70th anniversary of Allied’s D-Day invasion of Normandy, France, in World War II – including distribution of baseball card sets of late and living local veterans from all U.S. conflicts.
Also | Video tributes, produced by the Coastal Carolina University Center for Military and Veterans Studies, at each game, honoring living, local World War II veterans – to nominate an honoree, also for the card set, email an application (found at www.milb.com/documents/2/8/2/68349282/2014_Embrace_Veterans_Application_5254a3g8.pdf) to Katelyn Guild, Pelicans corporate sales manager, at KGuild@MyrtleBeachPelicans.com or pick one up at, and drop off or mail to, the Pelicans front office, 1251 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577, open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays.
Game tickets | Advance prices (and add $1 on game day):
• April-May –$8 left-field bleachers, $9 upper deck reserved and $11 field box
• June-September – $8/$11/$13, respectively
• All-You-Can-Eat Seats, $25, with buffet overlooking Pelicans’ bullpen, in right field
Information | 918-6000, 877-918-8499 or www.myrtlebeachpelicans.com
SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALL SUPPER BENEFIT
Also | Public welcome
When | 4:30-6 p.m. April 23
Where/Benefiting | Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10420, 3459 U.S. 17 Bypass, Murrells Inlet
How much | All you can eat for $7
Information/reservations | 651-6900
Also | This VFW post continues sales of 473 memorial bricks for $50 each to honor anyone – even someone who’s not a veteran or VFW member – for its Fallen Warriors Memorial, the granite on which salutes 109 service personnel from South Carolina who have died in Iraq or Afghanistan in the war on terror. Plans progress with hopes for completion of all brick sales and installation before the post’s “re-dedication” services on Memorial Day. (Its initial dedication was on Veterans Day 2013.) Details at 222-2791.
JAZZ CONCERT BENEFIT
By | Stephanie Trick-Alderighi, pianist – and wife of Paolo Alderighi, another jazz pianist
Benefiting | Help A Veteran, a nonprofit organization assisting veterans with special needs
When | 1-4 p.m. May 31
Where | Grand Strand Senior Center, 1268 21st Avenue N., Myrtle Beach
How much | $15 individual, or two for $25
Information | 222-0718 or email@example.com
HALL OF HEROES
When | Open 9 a.m. daily
Where | Sands Ocean Dunes Resort, 201 75th. Ave. N., Myrtle Beach
How much | Free
Includes | Scaled replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall, with all 58,253 names; information about each U.S. war/conflict; displays on flags and the Korean War; Gold Dog Tag display honoring those that died in hostile action since the Vietnam War; and names and location of the 2,984 Americans who perished on Sept. 11, 2001.
Information | 692-5265, 692-5100 or www.sandsresorts.com/hall-of-heroes
‘MINI MILITARY MUSEUM’
Where | Veterans Cafe & Grille, 3544 Northgate Blvd., Myrtle Beach, in Northgate Plaza, off S.C. 707 at southwest corner at U.S. Bypass, near Dollar General
When | 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays
Also | Meetings on third Friday monthly for veterans of the Merchant Marines and all services, by John. T. Schmidt Chapter/Palmetto Mariners, with lunch and fellowship at noon, meeting at 1 p.m. Guest speakers on April 18: Carroll and Lynn Prosser, from DAV Grand Strand Chapter 30. Details at 651-8046 or www.usmmsc.com.
Information | 232-8387