Recreation calendar, July 9
07/09/2014 5:45 PM
07/09/2014 5:46 PM
BASKETBALL• July 7 to July 11 | The Advantage Basketball Camps will be holding ball handling and shooting camps at Crabtree Memorial Recreation Center Gym from July 7 to Jul 11 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. The cost is $145 to $265. For more information visit www.advantagebasketball.com or call 425-670-8877 or 404-425-0890 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
BOWLING• June 27-July 20 (Fri. Sat. Sun. only) | Ladies East Coast Handicap Tournament at Waccamaw and Surfside. Entries close May 16.
• July 13 | Senior Scratch Tournament at Little River.
GOLF• July 19 | The Heroes for Children organization is hosting the 3rd annual “Hitting It For Heroes” golf tournament at the TPC of Myrtle Beach. All proceeds benefit the Horry County Guardian ad Litum program. Registration begins at 7:30 with a 9:00 four-person captains choice shotgun start. The cost is $65 per player and includes a continental breakfast and a BBQ lunch following play. There are four divisions for play (men, women, mixed and seniors) with team scoring for prizes. Join us as an individual or set up your own foursome. Contact Tom Powell at email@example.com an entry form. Any questions can be answered by contacting Dan Bruscella at 843-421-1467.
• July 19 | The Shallotte Lions Club will hol the Harrison/Rourk Memorial Golf Tournament – in memory of Jack Harrison and Dr. M. Henderson Rourk – at Rees Jones Course at Sea Trail Plantation in Sunset Beach, N.C. The tournament will be an 8:30 a.m. shotgun start. The cost to enter will be $70, and the game will be Captain’s Choice (four-person teams). Competitors have the choice of making their own teams or being assigned to one, with the field broken into two flights. Prizes per flight are $400 for first place, $200 for second and $100 for third. Entries must be made by July 15, and can be mailed to tournament chairman Marvin Peters at 592 Coach Trail in Sunset Beach, N.C., 28468. Peters is also available by phone if more information is sought (910-579-1059).
• July 30 | The First Tee of The Grand Strand Future Generations Tournament, Caledonia Golf & Fish Club, 8:30 a.m. registration, 10 a.m. shotgun start. Four-person team captain’s choice format. Entry fee of $2,000 per team includes prizes, gifts, food and beverages. Golf Channel personalities Charlie Rymer and Kelly Tilghman are taking part. This year’s event honors the late Todd Welden, former Caledonia head pro. Revels Turf & Tractor is the title sponsor. Contact Joe White at 919-414-4215 or Danny Hardy at 910-880-4212.
• Aug. 2 | Grand Strand Lodge 392 AFM will be holding a Pro-Am Golf Tournament at the Barefoot Resort and Golf Fazio Course on August 2, 2014, 8:30 AM registration - 9:30 AM shotgun start. All proceeds to benefit local homeless shelters, orphanages and other local charities. Continental breakfast and lunch will be served at the Dye Course Clubhouse after the round. There will be prizes for the amateurs; professionals will be playing for a purse. One professional will play with 4 amateurs as a team. $125.00 donation per amateur or $500.00 per team; $100.00 hole sponsor donation. For information and sign-up please call Alan Simeon (843-390-2444) or Rex Thompson (910) 443-1531.
• Aug. 9 | The Beachcomber Shrine Unit will host their 4th annual Beachcomber Shootout golf tournament on Aug. 9 at River Oaks Golf Plantation. Registration starts at 7 a.m. and play begins with a “shotgun start” at 9 a.m. The format is captain’s choice - four man teams. Cost is $50 per player or $200 per team and includes cart, greens fees, additional “free” round of golf, refreshments and food. Prizes for winning teams, longest drive, closest to pin be awarded as well as other prize drawings. For more information, contact Greg Bullock (843-446-5811), Rusty Watson (843-685-5540) or Cameron Batton (843-465-1130).
• Aug. 16 | The 11th annual “Adopt A Tree Highway” golf tournament to benefit the continued beautification of Hwy 17 Bypass. Captain's Choice format, registration at 6:30 a.m., 8 a.m. shotgun start, Wachesaw Plantation East. Entry fee of $60 per player includes continental breakfast with coffee and juice, lunch of steak and chicken from Outback Steakhouse and post-round party with beer and soda provided. Five team prizes each for overall, ladies, seniors and super seniors. Sink a putt for $2,500 or hole in one for a $10,000 golf trip to Pebble Beach. Other prizes and auctions. Tournament is co-sponsored by Legends in Concert. Call Lou at 215-3753 or LouK1065@gmail.com.
• Aug. 23 | 30th annual Mark Sloan Cancer Memorial Tournament, River Oaks Golf Club, 8 a.m. shotgun start, four-person captain’s choice scramble format. The entry fee of $85 per person or $300 per foursome includes breakfast, lunch, prizes, giveaways, post-tournament party and on-course beverages, and the winning team receives an engraved crystal decanter set. The event raises money for cancer research and RAFT – the Realtors Assistance Fund Trust for realtors and member affiliates who may need financial assistance due to medical hardship. The event has donated more than $500,000 to cancer research. Contact Christi Farmer at 839-8071 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Aug. 30 | The Little River Elks Lodge 2840 is holding its10th annual fund raising charity golf tournament at Eagle Nest on Aug. 30. Registration starts at 7 a.m. and play begins with "shotgun start" at 8 a.m. The format is captain’s choice and cost is $65 per player or $260 per team and includes cart and green fees. Dinner provided following tournament at the Elks Lodge on Hwy. 57 in Little River. Prizes for ladies, men and mixed foursomes for the tournament will be presented at the Elks Lodge. For more information contact Bernie Costello at (201) 694-1201 or Nick Samela at (843) 399-8369
• Mondays | The Grand Strand Seniors Men’s Golf Association plays a tournament every Monday at a different golf course on the Grand Strand. Any amateur male golfer over 50 is eligible. Snowbirds welcomed! Visit www.gssmga.org.
• Monthly | The Myrtle Beach Chapter of the American Singles Golf Association (ASGA) regularly meets the second Thursday each month for nine holes of golf at River Oaks Golf Club followed by a social hour and dinner starting at 6 p.m. at the Clarion Hotel in Fantasy Harbor. A general monthly meeting starts at 7 p.m. The cost for dinner is $12, which includes tax, tip and soft drink. If interested, call the ASGA at 1-888-465-3628, visit www.singlesgolf.com or email Myrtle Beach Chapter membership chairman Kim Johnson at email@example.com.
TO SUBMIT SCORES• Please send your weekly scores and/or notes to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submissions is 3 p.m. Monday. Late submissions will be published the following week. Results appear in The Sun News each Thursday.
• Results may be submitted via email, to be included on our scoreboard. No phone calls or faxes.
• Holes-in-one, eagles and shooting your age must be submitted by a representative from the course.
Join the Discussion
Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.