Friday’s area sports briefs: Columbia’s Allwood takes South Carolina Open title
07/25/2014 9:00 PM
07/25/2014 9:00 PM
Rohan Allwood of The Woodlands Golf & Country Club in Columbia won the 63rd South Carolina Open at Florence Country Club by three strokes with a 3-under-par 67 in Friday’s final-round for an 8-under 202 total. He birdied holes 14 and 16 in the final round to secure his first Carolinas PGA Section major title.
Cody Clepper of Sumter and Davis Womble of High Point, N.C., tied for second at 205 and were the low amateurs of the tournament. Rick Morton of Rock Creek Golf & Country Club in Jacksonville, N.C., finished fourth at 206 and was the low senior age 50 and older.
Dale Ketola of Myrtle Beach and the Potential Golf school at Farmstead Golf Links and amateurs Johnson Holliday of Galivants Ferry and Tee Opperman of Pawleys Island tied for 32nd at 4-over 214. Chuck Johns of Longs and the Hackler Course at Coastal Carolina tied for 41st at 216.
Father & Son Team Classic
Day 2 of the Father & Son Team Classic was played at several Grand Strand courses, with three Myrtle Beach groups in the top three of their respective flights.
Roger Wells, of Pacolet, and Travis Wells, of Myrtle Beach shot a 141 to lead the Quiros Flight, which played at the Barefoot Landing Love Course. Rick and Matt Taylor of Myrtle Beach shot a 145 to leave them in third place by four shots.
Richard Beck of Myrtle Beach and Bryan Beck of Easton, Pa., shot a 144 to put them seven shots back of the lead in third place of the Scott Flight, which played at Long Bay Resort.
Mike Bohardt, of Bradenton, Fla and Doug Bohardt, of Myrtle Beach, shot a 147 to leave them two shots back of the leader in the Mickelson Flight, which played at River’s Edge.
Blanks Flight• 133 - Phillip & Josh Radcliff, Coppell TX
• 133 - Brett & Sean Williams, Alexandria, VA
• 134 - Bryan & Bryce Kendrick, Powell, TN
• 134 – Mickey & Michael Ray, Somerset, KY
Nicklaus Flight• 134 - Mike & Brock Zeeb, Sturgis, MI
• 137 - Carl & Cameron Beaman, Kinston, NC
• 139 – Gary & Gary Carpenter, Crofton, MD
• 139 - Ron & Eric Hinson, Concord, NC
Rose Flight• 137 - Fred Comings, Odenton, MD & Steve Comings, Laurel, MD
• 140 - Craig Pannett, Farmington, MO & Jordan Pannett, Kirkwood MO
• 143 – John Hohmeier, Sr., Ontario, Canada & John Hohmeier, Jr., New Baltimore, MI
Scott Flight• 137 – Michael & Matt Clawson, Alvin, TX
• 143 - Doug & Ken Fankcke, Louisville, KY
• 144 – Richard Beck, Myrtle Beach, SC & Bryan Beck, Easton, PA
• 141 - Roger Wells, Pacolet, SC & Travis Wells, Myrtle Beach, SC• 144 – James Niemi, North Venice, FL & Colin Niemi, Charleston, SC
• 145 - Rick & Matt Taylor , Myrtle Beach, SC
McDowell Flight• 142 - Will & Brad Ausdemore, Tarpon Springs, FL
• 146 – Bryan Jacobs, Orange Park, FL & Jeff Jacobs, Fleming Is., FL
• 147 – Ron & Eric Hensley, Elizabethton, TN
Mickelson Flight• 145 - Peter & Clayton Hummel, Tampa, FL
• 147 - Mike Bohardt, Bradenton, FL & Doug Bohardt, Myrtle Beach SC• 152 – Tommy High, Wilson, NC & Thomas High, Raleigh, NC
Couples Flight• 150 - Jim & Cory Durall, Rome, GA
• 150 – John & Andrew Nickerson, Brentwood, TN
• 151 – Al & Jason Bodford, Gastonia, NC
• 151 - Larry Chandler, North Palm Beach, FL & Daniel Chandler, Marietta, GA
Furyk Flight• 154 - Michael Feliton, Philadelphia, PA & Michael Feliton, Branchburg, NJ
• 157 - Bob Johnson, Mount Dora, FL & Jimmy Johnson, Royal Palm Beach, FL
• 159 - Charles & Brad Gunn, Greensboro, NC
Els Flight• 155 - Broderick Arnold, Fayetteville, GA & Bryan Arnold, Woodstock, GA
• 157 - Jerry & Jason Alcock, Bluffton, SC
• 157 - Mark & Dylan Hinson, Candler, NC
Mahan Flight• 156 - David & Weston Tate, Kingston, GA
• 156 - John & Matt Hausser, Plainfield, IL, Pinehurst NC
• 160 – Wayne Lewis, Calabash, NC & Eric Lewis, New York, NY
• 160 – Laurence McKeen, & Steven McKeen, Sewell, NJ
• 160 - Franklin Roberts, Wildwood, MO & Mark Roberts, John's Creek, GA
Watson Flight• 158 – Tony Liberoni, Monroeville, PA & Matt Benzanis, Medford, NJ
• 159 – Steve Whipple, Lincolnshire, IL & Boomer Whipple, Hawthorn Woods, IL
• 162 – Gary & Kevin Gibbs, Elyria, OH
Langer Flight• 161 - Richard Browning, Fairdale, WV & Rob Browning, Cornelius, NC
• 162 – Fred McGuire, Ninety Six, SC & Tony Troiano, Simpsonville, SC
• 165 – Mike McClurg, Culpeper, VA & Matthew McClurg, Reva, VA
McIlroy Flight• 162 - David & Noah Butler, Raleigh NC
• 162 - Sidney Thomas Sr., Columbia, SC & Sidney Thomas Jr., Orangeburg, SC
• 164 - John & Johnnie Nemecek, Friendswood, TX
Kucher Flight• 162 - John Smith, White Plains, NY & Bryan Smith, Hartsdale, NY
• 165 - Edward & EJ Saridaki, Scotch Plains, NJ
• 166 – Ken Halaby, Trumbull, CT & Kenny Halaby, Williamstown, NJ
Stricker Flight• 164 - Ray Cooper & Scott Eriks, Crown Point, IN
• 171 – Eric Milford, Orange Park, FL & Chris Milford, Middleburg, FL
• 175 – Richard Roediger, Painesvillle, OH & Blake Roediger, Euclid, OH
• 175 – Bob Fitzgerald, Atlanta, GA & Robert Fitzgerald, Jenkintown, PA
Join the Discussion
Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.