▪ Coming off a bye week, the Coastal Carolina football team returns to action Saturday as it travels to former Big South foe Gardner-Webb’s place for a 1:30 p.m. kickoff.
▪ The Chanticleers’ women’s soccer team will spend a few nights in Alabama as it takes on Troy (7 p.m. Friday) and South Alabama (1 p.m. Sunday) this weekend.
▪ After canceling a trip to Charlotte for the Royals XC Challenge because of inclement weather, the CCU cross country teams will travel to Kernersville, N.C., for the High Point Vert XC Invitational, beginning at 4:30 p.m.
▪ Also on Friday, the Chants’ men’s golf team begins play in the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate hosted by East Tennessee State.
▪ The Coastal men’s soccer team plays its lone match of the week against Georgia Southern at 7 p.m. at CCU Soccer Field.
▪ CCU’s volleyball team plays a home-and-home series against Appalachian State on Friday (on the road, 6 p.m.) and Sunday (at home, 2 p.m.).
▪ The South Carolina football team is on a bye week before hosting Massachusetts Oct. 22 at a time to be determined.
▪ Clemson, meanwhile, hosts N.C. State at noon this Saturday on either ABC or ESPN.
▪ The NASCAR Sprint Cup circuit continues Round of 12 Chase action as it heads to Kansas Speedway for the Hollywood Casino 400.
▪ The NHL season drops the puck Wednesday, with four games on the schedule, including two – St. Louis at Chicago (8 p.m.) and Los Angeles at San Jose (10:30 p.m.) – on NBCSN.
▪ Major League Baseball’s Division Series play continues this week.