Re: Matt Moore’s July 14 letter: South Carolina GOP: A national model”
It seems that Matt Moore must be sharing the same ivory tower as Gov. Nikki Haley.
1) He boasts that South Carolina is “the envy of the nation.” Which nation?
2) He is also proud of the fact that, since Republicans control so many offices, we are essentially a “de facto single party state” which others also envy. Does one-party rule have a place in a democracy, Mr. Moore?
Far from being the “envy of the nation,” South Carolina ranks at the bottom of the barrel over and over again in so many areas. Are the Republicans proud of these state rankings? (50 = worst):
• 45th - - Health
• 48th -- Children in extreme poverty 17 percent
• 45th -- Per capita income
• 50th -- Women elected to state government: 9 percent (I guess Haley is one of them!)
• 50th -- Highway maintenance/improvement
• Where do we rank No.2? In the number of women killed by men. Almost No.1 in the nation
The single-party system which Mr. Moore brags about is not democratic and not good for South Carolina. (Are we like China, N. Korea, Cuba?) Yes, we have elections; but when the balance of political power prevents the opposition -- namely Democrats -- from winning elections, we get secrecy, corruption, ethics violations -- just like what is occurring in today’s South Carolina under the poor leadership of Gov. Haley and the Republican party.
We, the people of South Carolina, are suffering and it is getting worse every year. Step down from your ivory tower, Mr. Moore, or better yet -- just step down -- period. Lets give the Democrats a chance again. Republican ideas and policies have failed us.