The TLC production “Welcome to Myrtle Manor” sure is controversial. Some folks are disgusted.
Allow me to add a flip side:
“Welcome to Myrtle Manor” is what it is: A reality show -- a perspective of Myrtle Beach. What of the criticism that “Myrtle Manor” is giving the Strand a bad reputation? Here are topics from our local media published or reported over the last year.
1. We rank tops in spousal abuse.
2. We rank third from the bottom in educational standards (Mississippi and Alabama were on the bottom). Our SAT scores? Oh well.
3. Violent crime including assaults are on the rise.
4. We have designated sections of our community for strip clubs, body piercing, tattooing.
5. The Strand thrives on more than 2 million visitors a year. Our service workers live on the poverty line and below.
6. We abandoned pursuing common sense helmet laws in favor of profit from rallies. We promote the subliminal image that the Strand is a wide-open town.
7. College week is “free fall” and not just from hotel balconies.
With all the negative publicity, “Welcome to Myrtle Manor” may go viral, not that it matters.
I retired on the Strand for beach music, beautiful beaches and a wonderful variety of people. We have diversity few other communities offer. Enjoy “Welcome To Myrtle Manor.” So far it's fun.