In 1928, the Daughters of the American Revolution began work on a building as a memorial to the Constitution. John Russell Pope, architect of the Jefferson Memorial, was commissioned to design the performing arts center, known as Constitution Hall. Constitution Hall is the only structure erected in tribute to the Constitution of the United States of America.
In 1955 the Daughters petitioned Congress to set aside Sept. 17-23 annually for the observance of Constitution Week. The resolution was adopted by the U.S. Congress and signed into Public Law #915 on Aug. 2, 1956, by President Eisenhower. Any schools that receive federal money are mandated to teach about the Constitution.
DAR is known as the largest women's patriotic organization in the world and has over 170,000 members with chapters in all 50 states and 11 foreign countries. The patriotic organization has long promoted patriotism, education and historical preservation through commemorative celebrations, veterans support, memorials, American heritage, scholarships, constitutional workshops and support of Children of the American Revolution. The Daughters of the American Revolution encourage all citizens to celebrate this great document of freedom. At 4 p.m. Sept. 17, churches proclaim liberty by the ringing of their bells and all pause to remember our legacy of freedom.
The writer is regent of the Theodosia Burr Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.