The second of two teens charged with making separate bomb threats at Horry County schools last month has pleaded guilty and was sentenced by a Family Court Judge, according to officials.
The 15-year-old student was charged Dec. 19 along with a 16-year-old on separate charges of conveying false information to police regarding the use of a destructive device following the bomb threats made that week, police said.
On Thursday, the 15-year-old pleaded no-contest to the charge and was sentenced as a juvenile to an indeterminate sentence not to exceed his 21st birthday, said Caroline Fox, an assistant solicitor with the 15th Circuit Solicitor’s Office.
The Family Court Judge took into consideration the teen’s previous criminal record and that threats were made at three different schools, she said.
Never miss a local story.
The teen, a Myrtle Beach High School student, made a threat that forced the evacuation of the high school, Myrtle Beach Intermediate School and Myrtle Beach Elementary School, police said.
No explosives were found and no one was hurt during the incidents, but school officials evacuated the schools and classes were disrupted for several hours during each incident, officials said.
The teen will remain in the custody of the S.C. Department of Juvenile Justice in Columbia.
The other boy, a 16-year-old from North Myrtle Beach High School, pleaded guilty Dec. 19 to writing a threat on a bathroom wall at the school on Dec. 17. That teen also was sentenced to an indeterminate sentence not to exceed his 21st birthday, but the sentence was suspended to 14 days at DJJ, with credit for the two days served already, and nine months’ probation, authorities said.
If the teen violates probation and is found guilty, he could serve the rest of his sentence at DJJ.