A 34-year-old Florida man was found guilty of high and aggravated assault that resulted in the death of a 25-year-old Loris man at a now-closed Broadway at the Beach restaurant in 2015, officials said.
A jury found Philip Guderyon, of Wellington, Florida, guilty of high and aggravated assault on Thursday afternoon following a trial this week, according to 15th Circuit Solicitor Jimmy Richardson.
Guderyon was sentenced to 10 years in prison by Circuit Court Judge Benjamin Culbertson, Richardson said.
Never miss a local story.
The aggravated assault charge stems from an incident reported on Oct. 17, 2015 at the now-shuttered Carlos’ n’ Charlie’s restaurant at the Broadway at the Beach entertainment complex, authorities said.
At about 12:30 a.m. on Oct. 17, Myrtle Beach police were called to 1202 Celebrity Circle to assist with a medical call, according to police. Justin Hodges was taken to the hospital from the scene and died on Oct. 25, 2015 as a result of the head injury police say he suffered in the assault.
Authorities allege Guderyon struck Hodges in an “unprovoked” attack at the restaurant. Richardson said Guderyon’s friend had been involved in a brief verbal argument with Hodges before the assault.
Testimony showed that Hodges and Guderyon hadn’t argued before the attack, a release from Richardson’s office stated.