Five hospitalized following chlorine leak at Murrells Inlet pool
04/24/2014 6:19 PM
04/24/2014 6:21 PM
Firefighters with Murrells Inlet-Garden City Fire Rescue responded to a HAZMAT situation about 5 p.m. Thursday that sent five people to the hospital, said assistant chief J.R. Haney.
He said it appears the machine that pumps chlorine into the pool on Riverwood Road malfunctioned. The pool is in the Wachesaw Plantation East subdivision.
When firefighters responded, he said the pool had been evacuated and about 20 people were outside.
Five were sent to the hospital, Haney said. He did not have information on the severity of the injuries, but said the complaints were respiratory issues and irritated skin.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.