2-year-old boy dies on Christmas from self-inflicted gunshot wound, Conway man charged
12/26/2012 12:48 PM
12/27/2012 2:56 PM
Horry County Police charged a Conway man after a 2-year-old boy died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound on Christmas evening, police said.
Horry County Coroner Robert Edge said Sincere Smith, 2, died while en route to a hospital in Charleston. He would have turned 3 in March.
His father, Rondell Javon Smith, 30, is charged with involuntary manslaughter. He was still in custody at J. Reuben Long Detention Center as of Wednesday afternoon and no bail had been set.
According to police spokesman Sgt. Robert Kegler, Sincere grabbed a gun that was on the table and shot himself at about 6 p.m. Tuesday on Daisy Lane in Conway. The gun belongs to Smith.
Sincere first was taken to Conway Medical Center and then to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. He was on his way to the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston when he died from his injuries in the ambulance, Edge said.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.