Bricks will start coming down Thursday at the Kaminski House Museum, but only as a step in rebuilding the historic site’s exterior to help preserve its future.
A formal brick removal ceremony at 4 p.m. will mark the first step in a project to repair a damaging moisture problem between the brick facade added in the 1940s over much of the clapboard siding. The home, built in about 1769, was willed to the city of Georgetown by its final resident, Julia Pyatt Kaminski, who died in 1972. After many years of operating a house museum, the city handed management to the Friends of the Kaminski House on July 1, 2013.
The group’s chairwoman, Elaine Waddell, shared the scope of the project, for which heavy homework with consultations and research was invested.
We went to the architectural review board in Georgetown ... so we have their approval and blessing. Money for this project is coming from grants from Santee Cooper, S.C. Department of Archives and History, and the North Eastern Strategic Alliance.
We’re taking the exterior of the house to a time when the Kaminskis bought it, so we’re moving back an era. Mrs. Kaminski was very specific in her will in that the house and contents be kept ... as a museum, as a memory of her husband and her mother-in-law. Nothing in the will states that we can’t make improvements to the house and the lawn. ... This is the beginning of the best way to preserve it.
Also, we encourage people to go see Brookgreen Gardens and other museums in the Georgetown area. We also have a new Gullah museum in Georgetown. We want people to come to Georgetown ... and enjoy it and see all that there is to offer.