Local

July 2, 2014

Permanent restrooms in downtown Myrtle Beach set to open Wednesday

Doors are expected to open on new permanent restroom facilities in downtown Myrtle Beach on Wednesday.

Doors are expected to open on new permanent restroom facilities in downtown Myrtle Beach on Wednesday.

The Downtown Redevelopment Corp. spent about $230,000 to construct the restrooms in the alley between Ocean Boulevard and Withers Alley in downtown Myrtle Beach, between 10th and 12th avenues North, also known as CanAm Alley.

Construction workers were putting finishing touches on the restrooms Monday afternoon.

“There were already people trying to use them today,” DRC executive director David Sebok said Tuesday.

Construction cost about $18,000 more than originally was budgeted for the project. The solitary bid from Georgetown-based Consensus Construction came in at nearly $350,000, but DRC and city staff negotiated the price down, Sebok said.

Sebok suggested the permanent restrooms during last year’s DRC retreat and worked with the city’s Cultural and Leisure Services to determine the best location that would allow them to replace the restroom trailer at Plyler Park.

DRC chairman Chuck Martino has said the restrooms will benefit both tourists and residents who expect to find public facilities when they visit the downtown area.

The trailer in Plyler Park has three stalls – one for men, one for women and for handicapped use. Once a permanent restroom is in use the trailer in Plyler Park would be refurbished and placed in another downtown location that will be determined later.

Another trailer at Eighth Avenue North and Ocean Boulevard also will be refurbished, but remain where it is, Sebok said.

The trailers have been used for the last four seasons.

Related content

Comments

Videos

Editor's Choice Videos