Motorists should be prepared the choose their routes carefully Saturday morning as runners will be participating in this year’s MyrtleBeach.Com Myrtle Beach Marathon which starts at 6:30 a.m.
As of Thursday’s runner’s expo approximately 7,500 entrants were registered for the marathon, half-marathon and relay.
City spokesman Mark Kruea said traffic likely will be congested between 4 a.m. and 2 p.m. due to the race, which runs as far south as The Market Common and north to 82nd Avenue North.
Motorists should expect delays on Kings Highway, Ocean Boulevard, Farrow Parkway, Robert Grissom Parkway and various cross streets. U.S. 17 Bypass will not be affected by the marathon, but could see more motorists as it serves as the primary north-south route.
Never miss a local story.
Myrtle Beach Police Capt. David Knipes said traffic congestion will peak between 9 a.m. and noon and said drivers should be patient and prepared to share the road with runners and spectators.
Access to Broadway at the Beach will be limited to U.S. 17 Bypass and 29th Avenue North between 4 a.m. and 2 p.m.
All local residents will be permitted access to business and residences, but delays can be expected, Knipes said.
Kings Highway, Ocean Boulevard and Robert Grissom Parkway will see the most closures throughout the day. The following is a complete list of road closures:
• 21st Avenue North, east and west of the intersection with Grissom Parkway
• Grissom Parkway from 21st Avenue North to Mr. Joe White Avenue
• One westbound lane of Mr. Joe White Avenue from Grissom Parkway to Kings Highway
• Southbound Kings Highway from Mr. Joe White Avenue to Farrow Parkway
• Farrow Parkway from Kings Highway to Johnson Street
• Pampas Drive from Mallard Lake Drive to Farrow Parkway
• Johnson Street from Farrow Parkway to Nevers Street
• Hackler Street from Johnson Street to Farrow Parkway
• Nevers Street from DeVille Street to Farrow Parkway
• Howard Street from Farrow Parkway to Reed Avenue
• Emmens Avenue from Gabreski Lane to Farrow Parkway
• Farrow Parkway across Kings Highway to South Ocean Boulevard
• Northbound Ocean Boulevard to 82nd Parkway
• Westbound lanes of 82nd Parkway from North Ocean Boulevard to Grand Dunes Boulevard
• Eastbound lanes of Grand Dunes Boulevard to Kings Highway
• Southbound Kings Highway from Grand Dunes Boulevard to 65th Avenue North
• Westbound lanes of 65th Avenue North to Frontage Road and East Coast Greenway
• Frontage Road-East Coast Greenway from 65th Avenue North to Granddaddy Boulevard
• Granddaddy Boulevard
• Southbound Grissom Parkway from Granddaddy Boulevard to 21st Avenue North
• 48th Avenue North from Grissom Parkway to Oleander Street
• Southbound Oleander Street from 48th Avenue North to 44th Avenue North
• 44th Avenue North from Oleander Street to Mayfair Street
• Mayfair Street from 44th Avenue North to London Street
• London Street from Mayfair Street to Grissom Parkway
• Grissom Parkway from London Street to finish at TicketReturn.Com Field
From staff reports