Horry County Councilman Paul Price announces he will not seek re-election
02/06/2014 2:48 PM
02/06/2014 11:14 PM
The Horry County councilman who ran on setting term limits just four years ago announced Thursday he will not seek re-election later this year.
Councilman Paul Price, the council’s junior member who serves the southern portion of the Grand Strand, said he would like to spend more time with his grandchildren, which is why he will only serve one term.
“It’s now time for me to spend more time with my family, grandchildren and my wife, and I will not seek another term on County Council,” Price said at a press conference Thursday morning in the South Strand Recreation Center. “I still have a lot of work to do for the residents and I will continue to work hard for them.”
Price is the second councilman to announce he will not seek office again.
Price’s term expires at the end of 2014. Late last year, Price indicated to The Sun News that he would be seeking re-election, but said Thursday “health issues” forced him to change his mind.
“From a political point of view, and this is my view, I do not believe that our forefathers meant for politicians to be permanent, full-time jobs,” Price said. “I think they were meant to be here, serve a term and move on. We need that because we need new eyes to look at things and new ideas and people challenging something that hasn’t already been put in place, whether it’s good or it’s bad.”
As councilman, Price has helped increase parking spaces in the Garden City area and helped obtain directional and assistance signs at beach access areas. Most recently, Price, a retired military veteran and retired South Carolina state trooper, donated $15,000 from his recreation fund to help buy a van for the Grand Strand chapter of the Disabled American Veterans group to transport disabled veterans from the Grand Strand to appointments at the Ralph H. Johnson Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Charleston. Price also donated $5,000 from his recreation fund to a fund for homeless veterans.
The money comes from a recreation fund of tax dollars each councilman has to use at his discretion.
“I hope, if I’m remembered for anything, that it’s honesty, integrity and telling the truth to the people,” Price said. “I feel like the people need to know the truth, and it might not please everyone here, but it needs to be the truth.”
Another councilman, Carl Schwartzkopf, announced earlier this month he would not seek another term.
Councilman Brent Schulz was at Price’s press conference and said the two worked well together.
“Paul has been a great councilman,” Schulz said. “He truly cares about his district and the rest of the people in the county and visitors. He’s done what’s right. I’m real proud of him.”
When Price leaves the council, he looks forward to time he will spend with his three grandchildren.
“I hope the person that fills this seat will continue the effort we have had with beautification at the beaches, continue to make those much nicer for people to come,” he said.
“Because in the end, that’s what draws people.”
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.