A Myrtle Beach City Council candidate told police that more than 100 disappeared overnight Friday.
According to a Myrtle Beach police incident report, Keith VanWinkle told police Saturday that about 130 of his campaign signs had been stolen from various locations throughout the city.
He told police that he and his campaign team check his signs every morning and noticed that sometime between 10 p.m. Friday and 4 a.m. Saturday about 65 percent of his signs were missing. He said the signs of other candidates were still in place.
VanWinkle told police that the majority of the signs were taken from U.S. Highway 17 bypass, Kings Highway, Grissom Parkway and Dunbar Street, with some of the signs being in the county.
Never miss a local story.
But Myrtle Beach police Capt. David Knipes said Monday morning that officers investigated the incidents and learned the signs were removed by the property owner, Burroughs and Chapin.
"A great majority of the signs" were on B&C property, Knipes said.
Candidates should check with property owners for permission before they place any political signs, Knipes said.
VanWinkle is running for City Council along with incumbents Wayne Gray, Mike Lowder and Randal Wallace, as well as challenger Jackie Vereen.
The election will be held from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday.