The Myrtle Beach budget director and city staff still are working out the final details of the budget for next fiscal year as they prepare to travel to Pinopolis for their annual retreat.
The council members will receive the budget when they arrive at the retreat Wednesday. Budget director Michael Shelton said there won’t be any surprises in this year’s proposal. It’s not yet known whether the budget will include a property tax increase or jumps in fees.
“It’s probably one of the most ordinary budgets I’ve ever worked on,” Shelton said. “There’s been no growth to speak of on the operations side. So we’re struggling to continue to balance things on the operations side.”
City staff will present and discuss two parts of the recommended budget to the council during three days at the Wampee Conference Center in Pinopolis – the operating budget and the five-year capital improvements plan.
The City Council approved a $152.8 million overall budget last year for fiscal 2012-2013. Shelton said he still is working to determine a total budget amount and will have that figure by Wednesday. The next fiscal year begins July 1.
Shelton said the proposed operating budget will likely stay very close to what was recommended last year. It is possible the capital improvements plan could change depending on what new projects end up being included in the proposal, he said.
“We’ll include an assessment of what projects were considered, what’s being recommended and why,” he said. “We try to get indications from council as things come up and make sure that we keep those things in mind.”
The City Council will meet with staff to begin to iron out the details of the budget in Pinopolis, with discussions beginning Wednesday evening and concluding Friday afternoon.