Witnesses: Football fan punched victim several times through truck window outside USC stadium

01/30/2013 7:03 PM

01/30/2013 7:04 PM

A large man advanced on the pickup truck Allen Martin Gasque was riding in after a USC football game and punched him quickly several times, causing Gasque to fall out of the truck, which then ran him over and killed him, two witnesses testified Wednesday in court.

That large man who punched Gasque was Curtis Simms, the witnesses testified during the second day of a criminal trial in Richland County General Sessions Court.

Simms, 27, originally from Alabama but now a Columbia resident, is being tried for involuntary manslaughter and breach of the peace in Gasque's death. Gasque, 20, died in highly congested traffic outside Williams- Brice stadium while leaving a 2010 University of South Carolina football game.

“He (Simms) punched right through an open window,” testified Guy Eckenroth of Camden, who told jurors that Simms had advanced on the vehicle in which Gasque was riding and punched Gasque not just once, but several more times as Gasque was trying to open the pickup's door and get out.

When Gasque, who had been sitting in the right passenger seat of the pickup, fell out of the vehicle onto Shop Road, he rolled over on his back so his body was lined up with the truck's oversized right rear tire, Eckenroth testified.

“I knew he was knocked out. I've been in athletics long enough that I know when someone is knocked out,” testified Eckenroth, a longtime football coach at Camden High and science department chairman at Thomas Sumter Academy.

Seconds later, the large truck started forward and slowly ran over Gasque, Eckenroth testified.

“His legs were between the tire when he rolled over. The thing that sticks in my mind — I see it time and time again — is the tire ran over his abdomen and over his head.”

Simms then ran to Eckenroth's car and pounded on the window screaming, “Call 911! Call 911!,” before running off down Shop Road, Eckenroth testified.

At the time, Eckenroth was driving the car directly behind Gasque. Both his and Gasque's vehicles were in bumper-to-bumper traffic Oct. 9, 2010, just after the USC-Alabama football game.

Simms had come from a large vehicle that was trying to go from a parking area into the flow of traffic in front of Gasque's pickup, Eckenroth testified.

A second prosecution witness, James Adams, who observed the incident from the front side of Gasque's pickup truck, told the jury basically the same story about the confrontation and how Gasque died.

On cross-examination, defense lawyers Johnny Gasser and Greg Harris got both Adams and Eckenroth to admit to the jury they were wrong on various details they gave in testimony, such as the amount of light they had to see by and the time of the incident. But both witnesses insisted they were certain they saw Simms punch Gasque several times and that Gasque did not throw a punch.

If convicted, Simms faces up to five years in prison.

Adam Paxton, the driver of the pickup truck Gasque was riding in, has yet to testify.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service