NORTH MYRTLE BEACH
Police search for bank fraud suspect
An Horry County man is wanted by North Myrtle Beach police on bank fraud charges in connection with fake checks being cashed for $4,500 late last year, according to authorities.
Never miss a local story.
Carl Preston Johnson Jr., 30, of Loris is wanted for bank fraud and an arrest warrant was issued Nov. 26, said Pat Dowling, North Myrtle Beach spokesman.
The charge stemmed from Nov. 8 when police were called to Anderson Brothers Bank at 1799 U.S. 17 North in North Myrtle Beach for fraudulent checks being cashed there, according to a police report. Officers learned that Johnson cashed two checks that belonged to someone else, and received $4,500 from the bank that day.
Bank officials contacted Johnson to repay the money given to him but he didn’t, according to the report.
Burglar startles Myrtle Beach couple
A 49-year-old woman was startled by a man who tried to pry open a bedroom window in her Myrtle Beach home before a 60-year-old man confronted the burglar, according to a police report.
The victim told officers she heard a scraping noise at the window at 12:40 a.m. Wednesday and when she turned on a light and walked to the window she saw a man’s hands pushing the window up, according to the report. The victim yelled for the 60-year-old man, who was inside the home, and he grabbed a BB gun and went outside and confronted the burglar at the rear of the home in the 600 block of Third Avenue South.
The victims reported the burglar did not say anything during the incident before he ran out of the yard, according to the report.
Man sentenced to seven years for attack
A Myrtle Beach man entered a guilty plea moments before jury selection was scheduled to start Tuesday.
Eric Franklin, 35, plead guilty to criminal domestic violence of a high and aggravated nature and first degree assault and battery, said Joshua Holford, assistant solicitor with the 15th Judicial Circuit.
Franklin was sentenced to seven years imprisonment for each charge, by Judge Larry B. Hyman. The sentences will run concurrently.
The charges stem from Aug. 7, 2012 when Franklin beat his girlfriend and her son with a wooden barstool, Holford said. Both were hit multiple times in the head, arms and legs until the barstool broke. The beating continued with the legs of the broken barstool. The son was able to escape and call police, Holford said, but Franklin pushed his girlfriend in the bathtub breaking off the water spout.
Holford said the victim’s willingness to testify likely led to Franklin’s guilty plea.
Dogs chase chickens, owner ticketed
A dog owner was ticketed Wednesday when police found his three dogs attacking chickens on Todd Street in Myrtle Beach, according to an incident report.
Juan Antonio Alamazan-Gomez, 40, of Myrtle Beach was cited for nuisance animals.
Police arrived about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and saw four Huskies, two adults and two puppies, run from a wooded area behind the house. The adults chased a chicken through the front yard, catching it and attacking it, the report said.
Police chased the dogs away and the chicken seemed fine, though another dead chicken was found on the sidewalk, police said.
Police returned the dogs to the owner.
Man charged with attempted murder
Horry County police arrested a Myrtle Beach man following an early morning shooting that injured one man, said Sgt. Robert Kegler.
David Daniel Cordova, 19, is charged with attempted murder, resisting arrest and breach of peace. He is being held at J. Reuben Long Detention Center
Police were called about 1:30 a.m. to Old Bryan Drive where Cordova is accused of shooting a man in the abdomen area following a verbal altercation, Kegler said.
Cordova was still on scene and was arrested after a short struggle.
The man victim was transported to a local hospital to be treated for non-life threatening injuries. His condition is not known.
15-year-old in custody after bomb threat
Myrtle Beach police arrested a 15-year-old student Wednesday after a reported bomb threat at Myrtle Beach High School, said Capt. David Knipes.
The threat was found on a bathroom wall about 1:30 p.m. saying a bomb would go off. Students were evacuated and the school was searched with negative results.
Classes resumed about 2:30 p.m.
Knipes said the 15-year-old was in custody at the Myrtle Beach jail and charged with conveying false information regarding the attempted use of a destructive device.
Stabbing under investigation
Police are investigating a stabbing incident on the 400 block of 5th Avenue that occurred Wednesday evening about 6:30 p.m., according to the Myrtle Beach police department.
It was not immediately clear what prompted the stabbing. One man was taken to a local hospital, but his condition was not known, police said.
About 8:30 p.m. Sgt. Joey Crosby said officers were still on scene investigating.
From staff reports