Police roundup | Man faces third domestic violence charge
01/02/2013 9:13 PM
01/02/2013 9:15 PM
Man faces third domestic violence charge
A Myrtle Beach man was charged with his third-offense of criminal domestic violence after a woman reported that he tried to strangle her on a motel room bed, according to a police report.
Tam Wayne Stacy, 45, was charged after officers were called at 11:30 p.m. Tuesday to 708 N. Kings Highway for a disturbance, police said.
A 41-year-old woman told police she and Stacy had argued about her ex-husband and Stacy attacked her in the room, according to the report. The victim said Stacy tried to strangle her while they were on the bed.
The couple had been drinking and has been in a relationship for about two years, including living together for the last eight months, according to the report. The victim had a busted lip, bloody nose and scratches and redness on her face and neck.
Stacy had a small scratch on his lip and told police the victim hit him earlier, according to the report. When police checked Stacy’s criminal record they learned he had three prior offenses of domestic violence and was last charged in September.
Man assaulted while on the telephone
An 18-year-old New York man told police he was standing outside a Myrtle Beach apartment complex talking on his cell phone to a friend about his great-grandmother’s death when two men, who were walking by, assaulted him, according to the report.
The victim told officers he was outside 100 Cedar St., at 1 a.m. Tuesday talking on the phone after finding out his great-grandmother had just died when the two men walked by, police said.
The victim said the men were talking about hitting a girl and they got upset when they overheard the victim tell the other person on the phone about their conversation, according to the report. The victim said one man tried to hit him, but missed and then put him in a headlock, while the other man punched him in the head.
The victim said he felt like he was going to pass out and screamed for his parents to help, according to the report. The victim said his mother ran outside and pushed one of the men off of him. Then, the men ran away.
When officers arrived they found the victim bleeding from his head and he was taken to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center for treatment. The victim had cuts to his head and back, and a swollen hand.
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH
Teen charged in string of burglaries
North Myrtle Beach police arrested an 18-year-old Monday on several burglary charges.
Justin Steve Blevins, of North Myrtle Beach, is charged with seven counts of first degree burglary and seven counts of petit or simple larceny under $2,000.
Blevins is accused of breaking into multiple homes between 43rd Avenue North and 59th Avenue at the end of November, according to incident reports.
Doors were pried open or windows were broken in each of the homes and electronics including TVs, gaming systems, computers and DVD players were stolen. The items were returned to the owners when Blevins was arrested.
Two men, one from North Carolina and the other from Little River, were identified as suspects. It’s not clear if they faced the same charges.
Channel will stay after new contract
Time Warner Cable customers will keep seeing WBTW, the local CBS channel, after the cable company and Media General agreed on a new contract this week.
The channel had been in jeopardy as the deadline Monday to reach a new contract agreement approached.
“They reached an agreement and [customers] will continue to be able to get the programming,” Time Warner spokeswoman Rose Dangerfield said.
Mayor being monitored in Charleston
Mayor John Rhodes was still recovering in the hospital Wednesday after having surgery to repair an aneurysm in his brain Saturday morning at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, said city spokesman Mark Kruea.
Rhodes, 69, is expected to be released late this week.
“He’s alert and talkative. And not very happy about still being in the hospital,” Kruea said. “He’s looking forward to coming home.”
Kruea said the doctors want to monitor Rhodes for a few more days before releasing him. He was moved out of ICU on Monday, Kruea said.
Rhodes was initially admitted to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center on Thursday afternoon when his blood pressure spiked.
Concern over complications from the condition and a possible brain aneurysm sent him to MUSC for further testing Friday that led to the weekend surgery.
Rhodes is in his second term as mayor after first being elected in 2005.
City hosts health fair
The city of Myrtle Beach will host a health and Fitness Fair on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Pepper Geddings Recreation Center.
For details, visit www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/choose.hmtl or call 918-2280.
The fair will feature the kickoff to the city’s Choose Health and Fitness event, where participants select a fitness plan and compete to win prizes and “recreation bucks.”
Those interested must register by Dec. 31.
From staff reports
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.