Myrtle Beach area health events
12/30/2012 2:49 PM
12/30/2012 2:50 PM
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Georgetown Memorial Hospital, but some take place at different locations. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.georgetownhospitalsystem.org.
Chronic kidney disease education | Varying schedule, varying locations in Horry and Georgetown counties. Free. 866-647-9396 or www.ultracare-dialysis.com/TOPS.
Health screenings | 7:30 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, mall area, Georgetown Memorial Hospital; Thursdays, front lobby, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Finger-stick lipid profiles with blood sugar test: $20; diabetes screening-hemoglobin A1C: $15; blood sugar levels: $3. Free blood pressure screenings. 546-0623.
Move Well Fitness classes | held at Spine Institute, 12465 Ocean Highway, Pawleys Island. 979-2273 to reserve your spot. Scheduled as follows:• 3-2-1 ... cardio, strength and core, all in one, 8 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 9:30-10:30 a.m. Saturdays.
• Beach walk fitness, noon-1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, on the beach behind Litchfield Inn.
• Senior fitness class, 12:45 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Sibling Preparation class | 6-7:30 p.m. Thursday, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 529-8490 to register.
Red Cross blood drive | 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Wachesaw Conference Center, 4367 Riverwood Drive, Murrells Inlet. 652-1135
Prepared Childbirth class | 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday, education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital campus. $50. 520-8490 to register.
Obstetrics tour | 6 p.m. Jan. 8, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 520-8490 to register.
I Can Cope Education series | 5:30-7:30 p.m. Jan. 9, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Free. 652-1640 to register.
Community Health BLS-CPR | 8 a.m. to noon Jan. 10, education building, Georgetown Memorial Hospital. $35. 520-8490 to register.
“Create Your Weight” program for adults over the age of 18 | programs offered weekly from noon-1 p.m. $75. 520-8288 to register. Scheduled as follows:• Tuesdays from Jan. 15-March 12, two east classroom, Waccamaw Community Hospital.
• Thursdays from Jan. 17-March 14, second-floor training room, Georgetown Memorial Hospital.
Support groups• Young stroke survivors between ages 20 and 65 | 11:30 a.m. third Wednesday each month, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Hospital or 5:30 p.m. education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital. 655-2835 or visit www.YoungStroke.org.
• Alzheimer’s | noon Jan. 7, Prince George Episcopal Church.
• Alzheimer’s | 10 a.m. Jan. 9 and 23, Belin Memorial United Methodist Church, U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet. 651-9711
• Stroke | 3 p.m. Jan. 9 and 23, fourth-floor dining room, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 652-1875
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Conway Medical Center, but some take place at the Conway Medical Wellness and Fitness Center. Call the numbers listed for more information or log on to www.conwaymedicalcenter.com.
Obstetrics tour | 2 p.m. every Sunday, The Birthplace, Conway Medical Center, 300 Singleton Ridge Road, Conway. 347-8108
Parents Anonymous | 5-7 p.m. every Wednesday, Conway Medical Center. 347-8108
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Grand Strand Regional Medical Center, but some take place at the YMCA on 62nd Avenue North in Myrtle Beach or at HealthFinders in Coastal Grand mall. Call the numbers listed for more information or log on to www.grandstrandmed.com.
Walk-in screenings | 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday, HealthFinders. $7 for cholesterol screening; $20 for lipid panel; $20 for A1C testing; blood pressure and weight screenings free. A 12-hour fast required for lipid profile. 692-4444
BLS CPR/AED classes | First Aid; Babysitter and Family Care Giving classes and certifications offered weekly by appointment. All instructors are AHA/ARC certified. K-Loc Healthy Kids, Inc., 1435 Cannon Road, Myrtle Beach. Classes available in Georgetown and North Myrtle Beach. Registration required. 467-0068.
Addiction counseling | Narconon. Call for free assessments or referrals, 877-413-3073 or www.drugsno.com.
Nar-Anon family group | 7 p.m. Sundays, Recovery Warehouse, 3116 Shetland Lane, unit 34, Myrtle Beach. 233-9017
Prepared Childbirth course | 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. $50. 692-4444 to register.
Prepared Childbirth course | 7 p.m. Jan. 7, 14, 21, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. $50. 692-4444 to register.
Infant Care class | 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Jan. 12, HealthFinders. Free. 692-4444 to register.
Breastfeeding class | 1:30-3:30 p.m. Jan. 12, HealthFinders. Free. 692-4444 to register.
Sibling Preparation class for children ages 3-10 | 10-11:30 a.m. Jan. 19, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. Free. 692-4444 to register.
Infant/Child CPR | 1-4 p.m. Jan. 19, HealthFinders. $15. 692-4444 to register.
Support groups• Rape Crisis Center | Individual counseling, support group, 24-hour hotline for victims of sexual assault. 448-3180 or 448-7273
• Non-offending parents of child victims of sexual assault | 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays, Conway. Visit www.victimtosurvivor.org or 448-3180.
• Young stroke survivors between ages 20 to 65 | 11:30 a.m. fourth Friday each month, meeting room, Rotelli’s restaurant, U.S. 501, Conway. 655-2835 or visit www.YoungStroke.org.
• Automatic Defibrillator | 2 p.m. Jan. 8, Cardiac Rehabilitation Center, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. 692-4444
• Prostate | 6 p.m. Jan. 9, HealthFinders. 692-4444
• Mended Hearts | 11:30 a.m. Jan. 14, Cardiac Rehabilitation Center, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. 692-4444
• Grief | 1:30 p.m. Jan. 15, HealthFinders. 692-4444
• Celiac | 2 p.m. Jan. 15, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. 692-4444
• Stroke | 2 p.m. Jan. 15, Grand Strand Senior Health-Carolina Forest. 692-4444
• Thyroid Cancer | 6 p.m. Jan. 15, HealthFinders. 692-4444
• Fibromyalgia | 10:30 a.m. Jan. 17, HealthFinders. 692-4444
• Grand Strand Breathers | 2 p.m. Jan. 17, Cardiac Rehabilitation Center, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. 692-4444
LORIS/NORTH MYRTLE BEACH
McLeod Health/Loris/Seacoast sponsors the following events, classes and meetings. The hospital system offers a physician referral line, 716-7527 or online at www.lorishealth.org.
Injury screenings | 8-11 a.m. every Monday, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic and Fitness Center. 360-213-3620 or 281-3737 to schedule an appointment.
Zumba | 6 p.m. Monday and Thursday, Center for Health & Fitness. $5 members and $8 non-members. 716-7111
Blood drive | 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan. 8, McLeod Seacoast parking lot. 390-8326
Lecture: Tobacco Cessation | 5:30 p.m. Jan. 9, McLeod Seacoast. 390-8326
AARP Safe Driver’s course | 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Jan. 12, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic & Fitness Center. $12 for members; $14 for nonmembers. 390-8326
Nutrition Series: Are You Gambling With Your Health? | 10-11 a.m. Jan. 15, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic & Fitness Center. 390-8326 to register.
Lecture: Dementia-The Scoop on Shingles | 7:30-8:30 a.m. Jan. 16, Center for Health & Fitness. 390-8326 to register.
Weight Loss program | 5:30-7:30 p.m., for women ages 18 to 64 with a BMI of +27, $65. Mandatory Private consultation required by Jan. 18. To register, 910-253-2583 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Scheduled as follows:• Tuesdays, Jan. 22-April 9, South Brunswick Island Center
• Thursdays, Jan. 24-April 11, Bolivia Government Complex
Living with Grief | 10 a.m. to noon Mondays, Jan. 8-Feb. 12 at SECU Hospice House of Brunswick, 955 Mercy Lane, Bolivia, N.C., and from 10 a.m. to noon Thursdays, Jan. 10-Feb. 14 at Seaside United Methodist Church, Sunset Beach, N.C. Groups are free and donations are appreciated. 910-796-8056 registration deadline is Jan. 4. Please leave your name, phone number, and indicate the specific program you wish to attend.
Support groups• North Strand Ostomy Association | 2 p.m. Sunday, McLeod Seacoast. 390-8326
• Multiple Sclerosis | 6 p.m. Jan. 8, Center for Health & Fitness. 390-8326
• Fibromyalgia and Arthritis | 11 a.m. Jan. 9, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic & Fitness Center. 390-8326
• Diabetes | 10-11 a.m. Jan. 25, McLeod Seacoast. 390-8326
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.