Plan for a safe New Year’s Eve in Myrtle Beach

12/31/2012 11:00 AM

12/29/2012 4:09 PM

New Year’s Eve is here and there’s no shortage of parties.

From a comedy extravaganza at the Comedy Cabana to a ball at Ripley’s Aquarium, the options are endless.

For a list of events, both indoors and out, visit Kicks! or click here.

If alcohol is in your plans, consider calling a cab.

Diamond Cab, which runs a taxi service throughout Horry County, offers Safe Ride every year.

The program offers a free taxi ride to someone who drove to a bar or party and had too much to drink. Simply have the bartender or host of the party call the company at 448-8888 for a ride anywhere in Horry County.

If you call yourself, you’ll be expected to pay. Drivers must prove they had driven to the bar or party, and must be going home – not to another bar or party.

Increased patrols can be expected through Jan 1 with safety checkpoints.

In a 78 hour period around New Years last year, seven people were killed in traffic crashes on South Carolina roads.

That’s why the S.C. Highway Patrol will be out in enforcing the Sober or Slammer campaign, which started Dec. 14 and ends Jan. 1.

So far this year, more than 500 DUI arrests have been made during the campaign. Last year, there were more than 800 total DUI arrests.

The goal is to prevent traffic fatalities, particularly ones involving an alcohol-impaired driver.

The total traffic fatalities this year caught up with last year’s numbers. On Friday, the S.C. Highway Patrol said 827 people have died on state roads this year.

That’s why Highway Patrol Col. Mike Oliver said he will be pulling extra resources for New Year’s enforcement including troopers who normally work in the offices. These numbers will also be boosted by joint public safety checkpoints and patrols with local law enforcement agencies.

“New Year’s eve is not a holiday for troopers,” he said. “We know visibility makes a difference. If people know we are out in large numbers, they tend to adjust their driving behaviors. Our troopers will tell you that your very best insurance policy on the road is your seat belt and a designated driver.”

Drivers can call *HP or *47 to report a motorist operating while impaired.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service