Myrtle Beach area health events
12/09/2012 6:00 AM
12/08/2012 7:07 PM
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Georgetown Memorial Hospital, but some take place at different locations. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.georgetownhospitalsystem.org.
Chronic kidney disease education | Varying schedule, varying locations in Horry and Georgetown counties. Free. 866-647-9396 or www.ultracare-dialysis.com/TOPS.
Health screenings | 7:30 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, mall area, Georgetown Memorial Hospital; Thursdays, front lobby, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Finger-stick lipid profiles with blood sugar test: $20; diabetes screening-hemoglobin A1C: $15; blood sugar levels: $3. Free blood pressure screenings. 546-0623.
Drive-through flu vaccine clinic | $25. Medicare B is accepted and a Medicare card must be presented. 520-8579. Scheduled as follows:• 7:30 a.m. to noon every Tuesday at Georgetown Memorial Hospital in the mall area of the hospital.
• 7:30 a.m. to noon every Thursday at Waccamaw Community Hospital in the hallway next to Same Day Surgery.
Breastfeeding class | 6-8 p.m. Monday, education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital campus. Free. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Lecture: Holiday Healthy Eating | 10:45 a.m. Tuesday, HealthPoint for Health and Fitness, Pawleys Island.
Handle with Care-Baby Care class | 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Free. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Community Health BLS-CPR | 6-9 p.m. Tuesday, Wachesaw Conference Center. $35. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
I Can Cope Education series | 5:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Free. Pre-registration required, 652-1640.
Sibling Preparation class | 6-7:30 p.m. Thursday, education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital campus. Free. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Obstetrics tour | 6 p.m. Dec. 17, Georgetown Memorial Hospital. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Car Seat Safety class | 6-8 p.m. Dec. 18, Wachesaw Conference Center, 4367 Riverwood Drive, Suite 160, Murrells Inlet. Free. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Friends and Family CPR | 6-8 p.m. Dec. 20, Wachesaw Conference Center, 4367 Riverwood Drive, Suite 160, Murrells Inlet. $10 per couple or $5 for individual. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Move Well Fitness classes | held at Spine Institute, 12465 Ocean Highway, Pawleys Island. 979-2273 to reserve your spot. Scheduled as follows:• 3-2-1 ... cardio, strength and core, all in one, 8 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 9:30-10:30 a.m. Saturdays.
• Beach walk fitness, noon-1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, on the beach behind Litchfield Inn.
• Senior fitness class, 12:45 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Support groups• Young stroke survivors between ages 20 and 65 | 11:30 a.m. third Wednesday each month, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Hospital or 5:30 p.m. education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital. 655-2835 or visit www.YoungStroke.org.
• Alzheimer’s | 10 a.m. Wednesday and Dec. 26, Belin Memorial United Methodist Church, U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet. 651-9711
• Stroke | 3 p.m. Wednesday and Dec. 26, fourth-floor dining room, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 652-1875
• Amputee | 1 p.m. Dec. 19, fourth-floor dining room, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 652-1839
• Diabetes | 1:30 p.m. Dec. 27, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 652-1281 or 652-1638
Blood drives sponsored by American Red Cross are scheduled as follows. Call 839-4483 or 800-RED-CROSS.• 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, City of North Myrtle Beach, 1000 Second Ave. S., North Myrtle Beach. 281-3743
• 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday, WPDE-TV15, 2000 Coastal Grand Circle #520, Myrtle Beach. 234-9733
• 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Williamsburg Regional Hospital, 500 Nelson Blvd., Kingstree. 355-0330
• 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, Hemingway High School, 402 Main St., Hemingway. 558-9413
• 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, Carolinas Hospital System, 2929 E. U.S. 76, Marion. 431-2554
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Conway Medical Center, 300 Singleton Ridge Road, Conway. 347-8035
• 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday, St. Andrew Catholic Church, 3501 N. Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach. 448-5930 ext. 106
• 2-7 p.m. Dec. 17, Socastee United Methodist Church, 5575 Dick Pond Road, Myrtle Beach. 650-3373
• 1-6 p.m. Dec. 18, McLeod Medical Center, 301 E. Jackson St., Dillon. 487-1397
• 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 18, Horry County Complex - Ralph Ellis Building, 107 Highway 57 N., Little River. 915-8070
• 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 19, Horry County Complex, 1201 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach. 915-5293
• 1-6 p.m. Dec. 19, Santee Electric Cooperative, 424 Sumter Highway, Kingstree. 355-6187
• 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Dec. 19, Surfside Civic Center, 115 U.S. 17 N., Surfside Beach. 650-9548
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Conway Medical Center, but some take place at the Conway Medical Wellness and Fitness Center. Call the numbers listed for more information or log on to www.conwaymedicalcenter.com.
Obstetrics tour | 2 p.m. every Sunday, The Birthplace, Conway Medical Center, 300 Singleton Ridge Road, Conway. 347-8108
Parents Anonymous | 5-7 p.m. every Wednesday, Conway Medical Center. 347-8108
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Grand Strand Regional Medical Center, but some take place at the YMCA on 62nd Avenue North in Myrtle Beach or at HealthFinders in Coastal Grand mall. Call the numbers listed for more information or log on to www.grandstrandmed.com.
Walk-in screenings | 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday, HealthFinders. $7 for cholesterol screening; $20 for lipid panel; $20 for A1C testing; blood pressure and weight screenings free. A 12-hour fast required for lipid profile. 692-4444
BLS CPR/AED classes | First Aid; Babysitter and Family Care Giving classes and certifications offered weekly by appointment. All instructors are AHA/ARC certified. K-Loc Healthy Kids, Inc., 1435 Cannon Road, Myrtle Beach. Classes available in Georgetown and North Myrtle Beach. Registration required. 467-0068.
Addiction counseling | Narconon. Call for free assessments or referrals, 877-413-3073 or www.drugsno.com.
Nar-Anon family group | 7 p.m. Sundays, Recovery Warehouse, 3116 Shetland Lane, unit 34, Myrtle Beach. 233-9017
Sibling Preparation class for children ages 3-10 | 10-11:30 a.m. Saturday, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. Free. 692-4444 to register.
Infant/Child CPR class | 1-4 p.m. Saturday, HealthFinders. $15. 692-4444 to register.
Safe Sitter Babysitting class for children ages 11-13 | 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 20, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. $35 fee includes materials and a book bag. Pre-registration required, 692-4444.
Support groups• Rape Crisis Center | Individual counseling, support group, 24-hour hotline for victims of sexual assault. 448-3180 or 448-7273
• Grief Share | 3-4 p.m. every Wednesday through Nov. 7, National Healthcare Center, 9405 U.S. 17 Bypass, Murrells Inlet. 349-4400
• Non-offending parents of child victims of sexual assault | 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays, Conway. Visit www.victimtosurvivor.org or 448-3180.
• Young stroke survivors between ages 20 to 65 | 11:30 a.m. fourth Friday each month, meeting room, Rotelli’s restaurant, U.S. 501, Conway. 655-2835 or visit www.YoungStroke.org.
• Mended Hearts | 11:30 a.m. Monday, Cardiac Rehabilitation Center, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. 692-4444
• Prostate | 6 p.m. Tuesday, HealthFinders. 692-4444
LORIS/NORTH MYRTLE BEACH
McLeod Health/Loris/Seacoast sponsors the following events, classes and meetings. The hospital system offers a physician referral line, 716-7527 or online at www.lorishealth.org.
Injury screenings | 8-11 a.m. every Monday, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic and Fitness Center. 360-213-3620 or 281-3737 to schedule an appointment.
Zumba | 6 p.m. Monday and Thursday, Center for Health & Fitness. $5 members and $8 non-members. 716-7111
Zumba | 8-9 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday through Dec. 20, Body Dimensions, Shallotte, N.C. $35 month/$10 drop-in. 910-253-2583.
AARP Safe Driver’s course | 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday,Center for Health & Fitness. $12 members; $14 non-members. 390-8326
Blood drive | 12:30-6:30 p.m. Thursday, Center for Health and Fitness Auditorium. 390-8326
Safe Sitter Babysitting class for children ages 11-13 | 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Dec. 21, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic and Fitness Center and Dec. 28, training classroom, McLeod Seacoast, Suite 245. $35. 390-8326 to register.
Weight Loss program | 5:30-7:30 p.m., for women ages 18 to 64 with a BMI of +27, $65. Mandatory Private consultation required by Jan. 18. To register, 910-253-2583 or email@example.com. Scheduled as follows:• Tuesdays, Jan. 22-April 9, South Brunswick Island Center
• Thursdays, Jan. 24-April 11, Bolivia Government Complex
Living with Grief | 10 a.m. to noon Mondays, Jan. 8 – Feb. 12 at SECU Hospice House of Brunswick, 955 Mercy Lane, Bolivia, N.C. and from 10 a.m. to noon Thursdays, Jan. 10 - Feb. 14 at Seaside United Methodist Church, Sunset Beach, N.C. Groups are free and donations are appreciated. 910-796-8056 registration deadline is Jan. 4. Please leave your name, phone number, and indicate the specific program you wish to attend.
Support groups• Multiple Sclerosis | 6 p.m. Tuesday, Center for Health and Fitness. 390-8326
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.