Police roundup | Horry County police charge Conway man with neglect after 10-year-old found home alone
11/26/2012 9:25 PM
11/26/2012 9:26 PM
Man charged with neglect of 10-year-old
A Conway man is charged with child neglect after Horry County police learned a 10-year-old girl was left in a home alone, according to a police report.
Ronald Lee Wise, 31, of Conway is charged with unlawful neglect of a child or helpless person by a legal custodian after officers were called about 6:30 p.m. Friday to the home, police said.
Wise is being held at J. Reuben Long Detention Center on $10,000 bond.
Horry County police learned a 10-year-old girl went to a neighbor’s house because she was scared and had been left alone for about an hour, according to the report. The girl was at the home for a holiday visit and was released to her legal guardian.
Police noted there were empty beer cans inside the home and that two other children, ages 5 and 8, were involved, according to the report.
Man accused not paying restaurant bill
A 19-year-old homeless man was charged by Myrtle Beach police with trying to leave a restaurant without paying for his bill, according to a police report.
Walter Cole Robertson, 19, was charged with defrauding a restaurant after officers were called at 12:10 a.m. Monday to Denny’s at 800 S. Kings Highway, police said.
Robertson told police that he was with two friends and they left without paying their bills of $11.36 and $11.35 and left him to pay his bill, according to the report. Robertson told police he is homeless and did not have any money to pay for the food.
Officers asked Robertson to call someone to bring him money, but he told them he didn’t have anyone to call, according to the report.
Robertson was evasive and deceptive in his answers to police and the restaurant manager, police wrote in their report.
Officers were unable to get any other details about Robertson’s friends other than they live in Andrews, according to the report. Police are continuing to investigate the incident to determine the identity of the other two people.
Eight die on roads around Thanksgiving
State public safety officials said that eight people were killed on South Carolina roads during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, which brings the total to 744 people killed this year, according to the S.C. Department of Public Safety.
Public safety officials said the weekend began at 6 p.m. Wednesday and ended at midnight Sunday. The fatalities included eight crashes on U.S. routes or state roads and included two people who wore seatbelts, two people who did not wear seatbelts and one unknown, according to a release. Two pedestrians and a bicyclist were also killed during the weekend.
As of November 25, state officials have recorded 744 people killed on state highways compared to 766 highway deaths in this same time period in 2011. That includes 45 in Horry County this year compared with 52 during the same period last year, and 13 in Georgetown County this year compared with five last year.
Safety outreach program set for Saturday
Myrtle Beach firefighters will be at Home Depot on Oak Forest Lane Saturday for a fire safety outreach program in which they will receive smoke alarms and batteries to be distributed to residents in need, according to officials.
The event is being held across the country to increase fire safety awareness and is sponsored by Home Depot and Kidde and coordinated by the National Fire Protection Association.
Myrtle Beach fire crews will be at the store at 11 a.m. Saturday as part of the event, which includes a kid’s workshop, Lt. Christian Sliker said. Myrtle Beach firefighters will receive 2,500 10-year sealed lithium ion battery alarms as part of the event.
“Nearly 20 percent of homes in the U.S. have smoke alarms that don’t work. This program will benefit thousands of families by providing long-life smoke alarms that offer maintenance-free protection for ten years. The recipients never need to remember to replace the battery because it’s sealed inside the unit, and will last the life of the alarm,” said Chris Rovenstine, marketing and sales manager for Kidde, in a release.
Coast RTA begins Coats for Kids effort
Coast RTA has kicked off its Coats for Kids campaign and the city of Myrtle Beach has five drop-off locations for you to donate your outerwear.
Donations of new and gently worn coats, jackets, sweaters, gloves, hats and blankets are being accepted through Friday Nov. 30 at the five city building drop-off locations.
Locations in Myrtle Beach include:• City Hall, 937 Broadway
• City Services Building, 921 N. Oak St.
• Chapin Memorial Library, 400 14th Ave. N.
• Ted C. Collins Law Enforcement Center, 1101 N. Oak St.
• Law Enforcement Center Annex, 3340 Mustang St.
Locations are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Chapin Memorial Library, which opens at 10 a.m. and closes at 5 p.m., 6 p.m. or 7:00 p.m., depending on the day.
Coats also can be dropped off at the Coast RTA main terminal located at 1418 Third Ave. in Conway.
Coast RTA will collect the boxes from the city locations and plans to distribute them on Dec. 15 at the National Guard Armory, 501 19th Ave. South, Myrtle Beach.
From staff reports
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.