Myrtle Beach area health events
11/11/2012 1:00 PM
11/11/2012 7:55 AM
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Georgetown Memorial Hospital, but some take place at different locations. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.georgetownhospitalsystem.org.
Chronic kidney disease education | Varying schedule, varying locations in Horry and Georgetown counties. Free. 866-647-9396 or www.ultracare-dialysis.com/TOPS.
Health screenings | Tuesdays, mall area, Georgetown Memorial Hospital; Thursdays, front lobby, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Finger-stick lipid profiles with blood sugar test: $20; diabetes screening-hemoglobin A1C: $15; blood sugar levels: $3. Free blood pressure screenings from 7:30 a.m. to noon. 546-0623.
Drive-through flu vaccine clinic | $25. Medicare B is accepted and a Medicare card must be presented. 520-8579. Scheduled as follows:• 7:30 a.m. to noon every Tuesday at Georgetown Memorial Hospital in the mall area of the hospital.
• 7:30 a.m. to noon every Thursday at Waccamaw Community Hospital in the hallway next to Same Day Surgery.
Lecture: “Osteoporosis: Healthy Habits, Healthy Bones” | noon, Tuesday, HealthPoint Center for Health and Fitness, Pawleys Island. Lunch provided. 520-7842 to reserve your seat.
Breastfeeding class | 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Free. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Lecture: Allergies, Sinus and Asthma | noon Wednesday, Wachesaw Conference Center. Lunch provided. 520-7842 to reserve your seat.
I Can Cope Education series | 5:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Free. Pre-registration required, 652-1640.
Support groups• Young stroke survivors between ages 20 and 65 | 11:30 a.m. third Wednesday each month, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Hospital or 5:30 p.m. education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital. 655-2835 or visit www.YoungStroke.org.
• Alzheimer’s | 10 a.m. Wednesday and Nov. 28, Belin Memorial United Methodist Church, Murrells Inlet. 651-9711
• Stroke | 3 p.m. Wednesday and Nov. 28, fourth-floor dining room, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 652-1875
Blood drives sponsored by American Red Cross are scheduled as follows. Call 839-4483 or 800-RED-CROSS.• 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 19, South Strand Complex, 9630 Scipio Lane, Myrtle Beach. 455-5543
• 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 20, Belin United Methodist Church, 4183 U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet. 267-0752
• 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 21, Ocean Lakes Family Campground, 6001 S. Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach. 828-4827
• 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 27, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center, 809 82nd Parkway, Myrtle Beach. 692-1572
• 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 28, Horry-Georgetown Technical College-Grand Strand Campus, 743 Hemlock Ave., Myrtle Beach. 477-2062
• 2:30-7 p.m. Nov. 29, St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, 65 Crooked Oak Drive, Pawleys Island. 237-2795
• noon to 5 p.m. Nov. 30, Grand Strand Baptist Church, 350 Hospitality Lane, Myrtle Beach. 236-2233
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Conway Medical Center, but some take place at the Conway Medical Wellness and Fitness Center. Call the numbers listed for more information or log on to www.conwaymedicalcenter.com.
Obstetrics tour | 2 p.m. every Sunday, The Birthplace, Conway Medical Center, 300 Singleton Ridge Road, Conway. 347-8108
Parents Anonymous | 5-7 p.m. every Wednesday, Conway Medical Center. 347-8108
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Grand Strand Regional Medical Center, but some take place at the YMCA on 62nd Avenue North in Myrtle Beach or at HealthFinders in Coastal Grand mall. Call the numbers listed for more information or log on to www.grandstrandmed.com.
Walk-in screenings | 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday, HealthFinders. $7 for cholesterol screening; $20 for lipid panel; $20 for A1C testing; blood pressure and weight screenings free. A 12-hour fast required for lipid profile. 692-4444
BLS CPR/AED classes | First Aid; Babysitter and Family Care Giving classes and certifications offered weekly by appointment. All instructors are AHA/ARC certified. K-Loc Healthy Kids, Inc., 1435 Cannon Road, Myrtle Beach. Classes available in Georgetown and North Myrtle Beach. Registration required. 467-0068.
Addiction counseling | Narconon. Call for free assessments or referrals, 877-413-3073 or www.drugsno.com.
Nar-Anon family group | 7 p.m. Sundays, Recovery Warehouse, 3116 Shetland Lane, unit 34, Myrtle Beach. 233-9017
Memory screenings | 8:30-11:30 a.m. Tuesday, Brightwater, 101 Brightwater Drive, Myrtle Beach. Free. Light refreshments served. 903-8953
Infant/Child CPR | 1-4 p.m. Saturday, HealthFinders. $15 per person. 692-4444 to register.
Sibling Preparation class for children ages 3-10 | 10-11:30 a.m. Saturday, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. Free. 692-4444 to register.
Safe Sitter Babysitting class for children ages 11-13 | 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 20, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. $35 fee includes materials and a book bag. Pre-registration required, 692-4444.
Support groups• Rape Crisis Center | Individual counseling, support group, 24-hour hotline for victims of sexual assault. 448-3180 or 448-7273
• Grief Share | 3-4 p.m. every Wednesday through Nov. 7, National Healthcare Center, 9405 U.S. 17 Bypass, Murrells Inlet. 349-4400
• Non-offending parents of child victims of sexual assault | 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays, Conway. Visit www.victimtosurvivor.org or 448-3180.
• Young stroke survivors between ages 20 to 65 | 11:30 a.m. fourth Friday each month, meeting room, Rotelli’s restaurant, U.S. 501, Conway. 655-2835 or visit www.YoungStroke.org.
• Mended Hearts | 11:30 a.m. Monday, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. 692-4444
• Automatic Defibrillator | 2 p.m. Tuesday, Cardiac Rehabilitation Center, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. 692-4444
• Prostate | 6 p.m. Wednesday, HealthFinders. 692-4444
• Fibromyalgia | 10:30 a.m. Thursday, HealthFinders. 692-4444
• Grand Strand Breathers Group | 2 p.m. Thursday, Cardiac Rehabilitation Center, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. 692-4444
• Grief | 1:30 p.m. Nov. 20, HealthFinders. 692-4444
• Celiac | 2 p.m. Nov. 20, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. 692-4444
• Stroke | 2 p.m. Nov. 20, Grand Strand Senior Health-Carolina Forest. 692-4444
• Thyroid Cancer | 6 p.m. Nov. 20, HealthFinders. 692-4444
• Diabetes | 3 p.m. Nov. 27, HealthFinders. 692-4444
LORIS/NORTH MYRTLE BEACH
McLeod Health/Loris/Seacoast sponsors the following events, classes and meetings. The hospital system offers a physician referral line, 716-7527 or online at www.lorishealth.org.
Injury screenings | 8-11 a.m. every Monday, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic and Fitness Center. 360-213-3620 or 281-3737 to schedule an appointment.
Zumba | 6 p.m. Monday and Thursday, Center for Health & Fitness. $5 members and $8 non-members. 716-7111
Yoga | 6:30-7:45 p.m. Mondays and 1-2:15 p.m. Wednesdays through Nov. 28, Brunswick Center,1513 N. Howe St., Suite 1, Southport, N.C. $25/month for one class or $40/month for two classes or $10/drop-in. 910-253-2583.
Weight Loss Program: Why "Weight" Women, Get Healthy Now | 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Nov. 29, offered by Brunswick County Parks and Recreation. $65 per person. Pre-registration required, 910-253-2583.
Zumba | 8-9 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday through Dec. 20, Body Dimensions, Shallotte, N.C. $35 month/$10 drop-in. 910-253-2583.
AARP Safe Driver’s course | 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Nov. 26, Center for Health & Fitness. $12 members; $14 non-members. 390-8326
Lecture: Pre-Diabetes | 5:30-6:30 p.m. Wednesday, McLeod Seacoast physician lounge. 390-8326 to reserve your seat.
Lecture: Dementia-Losing Pieces to the Puzzle | 7:30-8:30 a.m. Nov. 21, Center for Health & Fitness. 390-8326 to reserve your seat.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.