Former Myrtle Beach Mayor Mark McBride has taken to Facebook to announce his intention to once again run for the office.
Keith Van Winkle, who ran for city council previously in 2013, also announced Monday morning that he will run for a council seat.
McBride was a city councilman from 1994 to 1998 and then mayor from 1998 until 2006, when he was ousted by the current incumbent, John Rhodes. Rhodes has said he also intends to run for re-election.
Never miss a local story.
In a short video posted Sunday night, McBride said, “We have three issues that are facing us: it’s public safety, public safety and public safety.”
McBride also touted a plan for “$10 million to hire 100 new officers, pay raises, and more help for Memorial Day,” but did not specify in the 53-second video from where that funding might come.
He could not be reached by phone Monday. McBride ran unsuccessfully for city council in 2015, and filed to run for mayor in 2013 but withdrew before the filing period closed.
He is the third candidate in the mayoral field, after Rhodes and Brenda Bethune, a local business owner who says she intends to focus on downtown redevelopment and a more open dialogue with local businesses.
Keith Van Winkle
Van Winkle, who lives off of 13th Avenue South and works for medical logistics company Meditam, said he’s running on a platform of public safety, government transparency and uniting the city.
He said his focus on crime wasn’t taken seriously four years ago, in his last run.
“They said that I was politicizing a few incidents that happened. Well guess what? The city faced the worst shooting in its history over Father’s Day,” he said.
Van Winkle suggested using money from the 1 percent sales tax for tourism promotion to hire at least 50 more police officers. Currently, 80 percent of those revenues go to the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce for out-of-market advertising and 20 percent goes to Myrtle Beach property owners as a tax break.
Myrtle Beach City Council and mayoral candidates are all at-large and do not run with a party affiliation.
The terms of Councilmen Randal Wallace, Mike Lowder and Wayne Gray also will expire this year. Ann Dunham has told The Sun News she will seek a city council seat.
Voters will go to the polls on Nov. 7.
Monday was the deadline for municipal candidates to file a quarterly fundraising report. Candidates who have not yet raised or spent $500 do not have to file a report; Rhodes, McBride and Bethune had not filed reports on Monday afternoon.
Gray’s report was unchanged from his initial filing earlier this year, showing a single $1,000 donation from Sea Crest Inc.
Wallace reported $2,550 in contributions for the quarter, including one $1,000 donation from Burroughs & Chapin TRS Inc. He also reported $2,349 in expenditures.
For the campaign so far, Wallace reported $3,402 in cash on hand and $3,166 in outstanding loans.
Lowder reported $1,500 in contributions for the quarter, including $1,000 from Burroughs & Chapin TRS Inc. He has a total of $6,780 in cash on hand.
Dunham reported $50 in contributions for a total of $1,047 in cash on hand.