Surfside Beach will not hold a traditional fireworks display for July 4 because its pier remains damaged after Hurricane Matthew ripped off part of it last fall.
The town announced the cancellation in a Facebook post on Monday. It will still hold live entertainment starting at 6 p.m. on Surfside Drive, however.
Town Administrator Micki Fellner said town staff considered ordering a barge that could be anchored as a platform for pyrotechnics. But after the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce said it could not help with the cost, the town was not able to absorb the more than $35,000 to rent the barge and put it in place, Fellner said.
Never miss a local story.
She said she may instead bring a proposal to town council to shoot the fireworks on Martin Field at 650 S. Dogwood Dr.
“The police chief needs to say whether its a viable option or not,” Fellner said.
The Surfside Pier was damaged when the end of it was washed away by Hurricane Matthew in October, and the town has since held several workshops on how the structure might be rebuilt, what engineering is needed to fix it and what the cost would be.
Last month, the town selected Collins Engineers Inc., of Charleston, to aid in the design process. Town officials have said they expect the pier to be closed for the remainder of 2017.