MYRTLE BEACH TV viewers are about to see a different side of a destination known for its beaches, golf courses and attractions.
“Welcome to Myrtle Manor,” which filmed in Patrick’s Mobile Home Park off Highway 15 in Myrtle Beach last year, will debut at 10 p.m. March 3 on TLC, a network known for shows such as “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” and “Breaking Amish.”
The 10-part series follows “Becky,” who takes over the reins of the family-built mobile home park from her father, Cecil. She’ll be trying to turn the community into a five-star resort, according to promos about the show. Each episode will last an hour.
The cast includes Becky and other family members, as well as the park’s security guard, a former drag queen, a Goth wiccan, owner of a hot dog business on wheels, an owner of a salon that was built in the mobile home park, a local club promoter and others.
Here’s part of the description TLC provided about the show:
“A transient community, the residents of Myrtle Manor come from all walks of life-- some have lived there for 30 years, others only 30 days, and like the legions of tourists visiting Myrtle Beach, they treat every day like a vacation. From wacky hijinks and relationship drama, to evictions and backyard brawls, there’s never a dull moment inside the Manor. While at first glance it seems very different from the places most of us live, at its core, it’s a neighborhood and although these colorful characters may argue, scream and fight, at the end of the day, they abide by trailer park law -- you mess with one, you mess with the whole trailer park.”
A TLC spokeswoman could not be reached Thursday. Becky declined to talk about the show until TLC signed off on the interview.
Myrtle Beach spokesman Mark Kruea said he “will wait and see what the program looks like” before commenting on how it represents Myrtle Beach. What folks across the country think of Myrtle Beach is important because it could influence the area’s top industry: tourism. About 14 million people visit the Grand Strand every year.
“The viewing public is aware that everything may not be what it seems on television,” Kruea said.
Myrtle Beach has been featured on other national TV shows, including another TLC series, “Cake Boss.”
“Welcome to Myrtle Manor” might end up creating an attraction: The mobile home park itself, Kruea said.
“Who knows? It may become a tourist attraction,” he said. “That wouldn’t surprise me at all.”
Below is a list of the cast, with descriptions provided by the TV network:• Becky: The Trailer Park Landlord. Myrtle Manor has been in Becky’s family for generations and now her father Cecil is turning over the business to her. Will she turn it into the five-star trailer park she has always dreamed of or will Cecil have to fire her before Myrtle Manor falls apart?
• Jeana: Aunt to Becky. Miss Jeana (with a J) is Becky’s aunt. Having just split from her husband of over 20 years, Jeana is making a fresh start in Myrtle Manor with her motorcycle, her new look, and her no excuses approach to life.
• Cecil: Becky’s father, brother to Jeana, Owner of Myrtle Manor. Cecil is the patriarch of Myrtle Manor and one of Myrtle Beach’s largest landowners. Cecil’s daddy built the trailer park and now Cecil is entrusting the family legacy to Becky. If she cannot keep the money coming in and the riff raff going out, Cecil may have to reconsider the future of the park.
• Jared: The New Guy. After drifting from place to place, Jared storms into Myrtle Manor on his crotch rocket. Seeing Jared down on his luck, Miss Becky has a soft spot for him and literally gives him a new lot in life with a beat-up Airstream on a patch of grass. Jared can live rent free until he gets a job if he earns his keep by doing odd jobs for Myrtle Manor. He wants to do right by Becky, but will his wild ways get him into trouble?
• Chelsey: Darlin’ Dog Wiener Girl. Chelsey is the co-founder of Darlin’ Dogs – a struggling hot dog business on wheels. Chelsey is determined to create a hot dog empire on the boardwalks of Myrtle Beach, but when all the earnings go to parties and booze, the Darlin’ Dogs will have a hard time making rent at Myrtle Manor.
• Lindsay: Darlin’ Dog Wiener Girl. The perpetually giggling Lindsay is co-founder of Darlin’ Dogs. Less business savvy than her partner Chelsey, Lindsay is more interested in the Myrtle Beach nightlife than slinging hot dogs for cash.
• Amanda: Newest Darlin’ Dog. Wearing a “Bless Your Heart” trucker hat and a whole lot of attitude, Amanda is the turtle hunting, four wheel driving redneck of the Darlin Dogs Empire. The Weiner Girls, Chelsey and Lindsey, found their new co-worker at a bar and they better be careful, because Amanda’s motto is, “You can’t call someone a true friend until you get into a fight.”
• Gina: Co-owner of Tangulls (Myrtle Manor hair salon) and hairdresser. Miss Gina has lived in Myrtle Beach all her life. When Becky wanted to give the trailer park a new image, she looked no further than Miss Gina to open a salon in Myrtle Manor. Although she doesn’t live in the park, Miss Gina is more than happy to have Tangulls serve as the rumor mill for the residents.
• Roy: Co-owner of Tangulls (Myrtle Manor hair salon), hairdresser and former drag queen. Roy might not be your average good ole boy, but Roy is as Southern as they come. Originally from a small town in North Carolina, Roy moved to the “New York of the South” after beauty school. He’s worked the pageant route and is considered one of the top make-up artists in Myrtle Beach. Roy is the first to admit that his lips and cheekbones are surgically enhanced, but his man boobs are all his.
• Taylor: Local Club Promoter. Taylor is the king of Myrtle Beach nightlife. When he’s not at the club, Taylor is trying to manage his volatile relationship with his live-in girlfriend, Jessica. And if he needs any help, his mom Anne lives in the trailer across the street.
• Gus: Taylor’s Dog. Gus is Taylor’s wingman, his confidant and his best friend. When not drooling all over Taylor’s trailer, Gus is watching over Myrtle Manor.
• Jessica: Taylor’s Girlfriend. With her fire engine red hair and piercings, Jessica is hard to miss at Myrtle Manor. The young beauty can be found flirting with the boy next door or fighting on the front porch of the trailer that she shares with her boyfriend Taylor.
• Anne: Taylor’s Mother. Anne lives across the street from her son Taylor. With white wine in hand, she tries to keep the peace between Taylor, Jessica and all of Myrtle Manor. A little quirky, Anne’s wisdom is uniquely Myrtle Beach.
• Marvin: Security Guard. Marvin is this five-star trailer park’s head of security. Marvin’s job is to ensure the safety of the residents, direct traffic and help Miss Becky keep the rules enforced.
• Bandit: Jingle Writer. This jingle writer, hot rod driving and New Yorker Roger is also known as “Bandit.” His deluxe doublewide may look fancy on the outside, but inside, the roaches and mold are threating his makeshift recording studio. With his livelihood in jeopardy, Bandit is a jingle session shy from being evicted by Becky.
• Miss Peggy: The eyes and ears of Myrtle Manor. Miss Peggy is the oldest resident at Myrtle Manor, but this little old lady has some surprises in store. Not your average Grandma, Miss Peggy reminds everyone you only live once and Miss Peggy is here to LIVE.
• Shellie: The Wiccan. Shellie, one of Myrtle Beach’s few and proud Goth wiccans, resides at Myrtle Manor. As the owner of a Goth/Metal Club on the boardwalk, her odd hours keep the trailer park residents talking. Ask her what kind of witch she is and she will explain there is no such thing as good or bad witches. Just witches.
• Alyson: Becky’s Daughter. Alyson is Becky’s youngest daughter and the princess of the park. Currently in school for business, she one day hopes to take over management of Myrtle Manor.