Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Tidelands Health, but some take place at different locations. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.tidelandshealth.org.
Chronic Disease Self-Management workshop | 1:30-4 p.m. every Monday, Wachesaw Conference Center. Free. 520-8490 to register.
▪ Breastfeeding class | 6-8 p.m. Monday, Wachesaw Conference Center. Free. 520-8490 to register.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Obstetrics tour | 6 p.m. Tuesday, Waccamaw Community Hospital and Aug. 17, Georgetown Memorial Hospital. 520-8490.
▪ Parkinson’s | 7 p.m. second Thursday of each month, NHC Health Care, 9405 U.S. 17 Bypass, Garden City Beach. 357-2306.
▪ Recovering couples anonymous | 7-8:30 p.m. Thursdays, open share meeting and 8:30-9:30 p.m. alternate Thursdays, step study meeting, Inlet Oasis, 4450 U.S. 17 Bypass, Suite D-5, Murrells Inlet. 602-4380 or 602-3171.
▪ Cancer | 4:30-5:30 p.m. Monday, Georgetown memoiral Hospital. 520-8062.
▪ Stroke | 3:30 p.m. Wednesday and Aug. 26, fourth-floor dining room, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 652-1395.
▪ Amputee | 3:45 p.m. Aug. 19, Waccamaw Community Hospital, fourth-floor dining room. 652-1395.
▪ Better Breathers club | 1-2:30 p.m. Aug. 21, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 652-1624
Blood drives sponsored by American Red Cross are scheduled as follows. Call 839-4483 or 800-RED-CROSS or www.redcrossblood.org.
▪ 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday, Holy Cross Faith Memorial Episcopal Church, 88 Baskervill Drive, Pawleys Island.
▪ 3-8 p.m. Monday, Evergreen Free Will Baptist Church, 4070 U.S. 501 W., Conway.
▪ 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
▪ 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Horry County Complex, Olin B. Blanton Building, 1201 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach.
▪ 1-6 p.m. Wednesday, First Baptist Church, 711 16th Ave. N., Surfside Beach.
▪ 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, Anderson Brothers Bank, 2651 Church St., Conway.
▪ 2-7 p.m. Thursday, Christ Community Church, 1500 U.S. 501 Business, Conway.
▪ 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, North Myrtle Beach Aquatics and Fitness Center, 1100 Second Ave. S., North Myrtle Beach.
▪ 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Myrtle Beach Harley Davidson, 4710 S. Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach.
▪ 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday, St. Paul's Anglican Church, 710 Main St., Conway.
▪ 1-6 p.m. Aug. 17, Grand Strand Community Church, 3820 Holmestown Road, Myrtle Beach.
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Conway Medical Center, but some take place at the Conway Medical Wellness and Fitness Center. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.conwaymedicalcenter.com.
▪ Grief | 10:30 a.m. second Tuesday of the month, Watson Funeral Services and Crematory, 2300 U.S. 378, Conway. 397-2500.
▪ Al-Anon | 8 p.m. every Tuesday, 508 Beaty St., Conway. 248-5083.
▪ Conway Al-Anon | 6 p.m. Wednesday, 6 p.m. Thursday and 10 a.m. Saturday, Serenity Hall, 2118 Oak St., Conway. 465-7416 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Grand Strand Medical Center, but some take place at the YMCA on 62nd Avenue North in Myrtle Beach or at HealthFinders in Coastal Grand mall. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.grandstrandmed.com.
Walk-in screenings | 10 a.m. to7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, HealthFinders. $10 for cholesterol screening; $20 for lipid panel; $20 for A1c testing; blood pressure and weight screenings free. A 12-hour fast required for lipid profile. 692-4444.
Heart health profiles | 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
Mercy Care offers grief program | 4-6 p.m. Tuesdays through Sept. 8, Lower Cape Fear Hospice Mercy Care, 8216 Devon Court in Myrtle Beach. Free. 234-6271; www.mercyhospice.org.
Workshop: Diabetes for any senior, 55 or older | 10 a.m. to noon Fridays through Sept. 11, Grand Strand Senior Center, 1268 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach. 626-3991 or 800-922-3089, ext.7585, to register or sign up at the first class.
Infant Care class | 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday, HealthFinders. Free. 692-4444.
Breastfeeding class |1:30-3:30 p.m. Saturday, HealthFinders. Free. 692-4444.
Safe Sitter Babysitting classes for 11 – 14 year olds | 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 17, HealthFinders. $35 includes a book bag and materials. 692-4444 to register.
Family and Friends CPR class | 3-5 p.m. Aug. 19, HealthFinders. $15 includes book. 692-4444.
Sibling Preparation class for children ages 3-10 | 10-11:30 a.m. Aug. 22, Grand Strand Medical Center. Free. 692-4444.
Infant/Child CPR and First Aid class | 1-4 p.m. Aug. 22, HealthFinders. $15 per person. 692-4444.
Self-Defense class | 6-8 p.m. Aug. 24, HealthFinders. Free. 692-4444.
▪ Rape Crisis Center | Individual counseling, support group, 24-hour hotline for victims of sexual assault. 448-3180 or 448-7273.
▪ National Safe Haven Alliance | Operates a 24-hour hotline that women in distress can use for anonymous assistance. 888-510-2229.
▪ Unplanned pregnancy? | Free pregnancy testing, free counseling and support. Coastline Women’s Center. 488-9971.
▪ Addiction counseling | Narconon. Call for free assessments or referrals, 877-413-3073 or www.narconon works.com.
▪ Nar-Anon family group | 7 p.m. every Sunday, Recovery Warehouse, 3116 Shetland Lane, Unit 34, Myrtle Beach. 233-9017.
▪ Mended Hearts | 11:30 a.m. second Monday of each month, Mercy Care, 8216 Devon Court, Myrtle Beach. 685-3378 or email@example.com.
▪ Survivors of Suicide Loss | 6-8 p.m. third Monday of each month, Grand Strand Senior Center, 1268 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach. 336-707-0022 or Lwhite42@sc.rr.com or 1-800-SUICIDE Crisis Line, AFSP.org .
▪ Inflammatory Bowel Disease | 6:30 p.m. third Friday of each month. 997-1671 for location.
▪ Grief | 3-4:30 p.m. first and third Tuesday of each month, meeting room C, First Presbyterian Church, 3810 Robert Grissom Parkway, Myrtle Beach. 448-4496 to make reservation.
▪ La Leche Breastfeeding | 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
▪ Cushing’s | 1 p.m. Wednesday, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
▪ Stroke | 2 p.m. Wednesday, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
▪ ARC | 5:30 p.m. Aug. 17, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
▪ Grief | 1:30 p.m. Aug. 18, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
▪ Thyroid Cancer | 6 p.m. Aug. 18, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
LORIS/NORTH MYRTLE BEACH
McLeod Health/Loris/Seacoast sponsors the following events, classes and meetings. The hospital system offers a physician referral line. 716-7527 or www.loris health.org.
Fitness classes | Center for Health and Fitness. Free for members; $5 for guest of members; $8 non-members. 716-7111.
▪ Al-Anon | 6:30-7:30 p.m. every Tuesday of each month, A.A. Building, U.S. 17 S., Grissettown, N.C., across from Ocean Ridge, near Calabash and Shallotte. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or just show up at the next meeting.
▪ Parkinson’s | 2 p.m. third Wednesday of each month, parish hall, Our Lady Star of the Sea Church. 399-7029.
To have your local health events and information listed, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with the following information: Name of your group, time and date of meeting/event, location/address, topic/purpose, whether it is open to the public, whether it's free or the amount it costs. These announcements are listed each Monday on a space-available basis.