Upcoming Myrtle Beach area health events
05/11/2014 4:43 PM
05/11/2014 4:44 PM
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Georgetown Memorial Hospital, but some take place at different locations. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.georgetownhospitalsystem.org.
Chronic kidney disease education | Varying schedule, varying locations in Horry and Georgetown counties. Free. 866-647-9396 or www.ultracare-dialysis.com/TOPS.
Chronic Disease Self-Management workshop | 1:30-4 p.m. every Monday, Wachesaw Conference Center. Free. 520-8490 to register.
Create Your Weight program | 5:30 p.m. Thursdays through May 29, Waccamaw Community Hospital. $75. 520-8288 to register.
Seminar: Training for Waccamaw High School mud run | 6-7 p.m. Monday, HealthPoint Center for Health & Fitness, 12965 Ocean Highway, Pawleys Island. 237-2205 to register.
Handle with Care - Baby Care class | 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Wachesaw Conference Center. Free. 520-8490 to register.
I Can Cope Education series | 5:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Free. 652-1640 to register.
Handle with Care | 9-11 a.m. Saturday, education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital campus. Free. 520-8490 to register.
Breastfeeding class | noon to 2 p.m. Saturday, education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital campus. Free. 520-8490 to register.
Sibling Preparation class | 3-4:30 p.m. Saturday, education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital campus. Free. 520-8490 to register.
Dietitian supermarket tour | 5 p.m. May 22, Food Lion, 9380 Ocean Highway, Pawleys Island. Free. 520-8288 to register.
Friends and Family CPR | 6-8 p.m. May 22, Wachesaw Conference Center. $20 couple or $10 individual. 520-8490 to register.
Better Choices, Better Health Six Day series | 1-3:30 p.m. Mondays starting May 26 through June 30, Wachesaw Conference Center. 520-8490 to register.
Obstetrics tour | 6 p.m. May 27, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 520-8490.
SUPPORT GROUPS• Mended Heart | noon fourth Tuesday of each month, Health Point Center for Health & Fitness. 685-3378 or email@example.com.
• Young stroke survivors between ages 20 and 65 | 11:30 a.m. third Wednesday of each month, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Hospital or 5:30 p.m. education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital. 655-2835 or www.YoungStroke.org.
• Survivors of Suicide-SOS | 6-8 p.m. first Wednesday of each month, meeting room, Inlet Square mall. 357-6848.
• Parkinson’s | 7 p.m. second Thursday of each month, NHC Health Care, 9405 U.S. 17 Bypass, Garden City Beach. 357-2306.
• Anytime Fitness partnered with insurance companies | They offer 24-hour virtual classes with live-instructor classes. To find out if your insurance will pay for your gym membership, visit the club on Willbrook Boulevard, Pawleys Island or visit www.anytimefitness.com.
• Cancer | 4:30-5:30 p.m. Monday, education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital. 520-8062.
• Alzheimer’s | 10 a.m. Wednesday and May 28, Belin Memorial United Methodist Church, U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet. 651-9711.
• Stroke | 3 p.m. Wednesday and May 28, fourth-floor dining room, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 652-1415.
• Amputee | 3:45 p.m. May 21, fourth-floor dining room, Waccamaw Community Hospital 652-1415.
• Diabetes | 1:30 p.m. May 22, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 652-1281 or 652-1638.
• Bosom Buddies | 6-7 p.m. May 26, Wachesaw Conference Center. 237-8787.
Blood drives sponsored by American Red Cross are scheduled as follows. Call 839-4483 or 800-RED-CROSS or www.redcrossblood.org.• 1-6 p.m. Monday, Surfside Presbyterian Church, 8732 U.S. 17 Bypass, Myrtle Beach. 651-2020.
• 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Santee Cooper, 305A Gardner Lacy Road, Myrtle Beach. 347-3399.
• 1-6 p.m. Wednesday, Beach Church, 557 George Bishop Parkway, Myrtle Beach. 504-3002.
• 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, Aynor High School, 201 Jordanville School, Aynor. 488-7101.
• 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, North Myrtle Beach Aquatics and Fitness Center, 1100 Second Ave. S. 281-3743.
• noon to 5 p.m. Saturday, Wyndham, 401 S. Ocean Blvd., North Myrtle Beach. 429-5403.
• 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday, Christ United Methodist Church, 2901 Fantasy Way, Myrtle Beach. 236-6201.
• 2-7 p.m. May 19, Oceanview Baptist Church, 7202 N. Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach. 449-3384.
• 3-8 p.m. May 21, ITT Technical Institute, 9654 N. Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach. 497-7383.
• 7 a.m. to noon May 21, Horry Telephone Cooperative, 3480 U.S. 701 N., Conway. 369-8714.
• 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. May 22, Ocean Lakes Family Campground, 6001 S. Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach. 828-4827.
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 23, Business & Medical Record Office Building, Georgetown Hospital System, 160 Willbrook Blvd., Litchfield Beach.
• 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 23, HealthPoint,. 237-2205.
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Conway Medical Center, but some take place at the Conway Medical Wellness and Fitness Center. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.conwaymedicalcenter.com.
Obstetrics tour | 2 p.m. every Sunday, The Birthplace, Conway Medical Center, 300 Singleton Ridge Road, Conway. 347-8108.
CX60 with Calvin exercise | 9-10 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays through May 28, CMC Wellness and Fitness Center. $80 members; $120 non-members. 347-1515.
Wakeup call with Calvin | 5:15-6 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays through May 28, CMC Wellness and Fitness Center. $80 members; $120 non-members. 347-1515.
Wellness coaching with Robin | all May includes coaching sessions, food and nutrition analysis, exercise workouts and more for $99 month. 347-1515.
Introductory massage special | all May CMC Wellness and Fitness Center offers therapeutic massages for $39 for 45 minutes. 347-1515 to book an appointment.
Seminar: Joint Replacement | noon Tuesday, auditorium, Conway Medical Center. Lunch provided. 347-8108 to reserve your seat.
Seminar: Weight Loss Surgery | 6 p.m. Tuesday, auditorium, Conway Medical Center. 347-8018.
Childbirth class | 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Conway Medical Center. 347-8108 to register.
Quit Smart smoking cessation class | 5-10:30 a.m. May 20, June 3 and June 5, CMC Wellness & Fitness Center. $50. 234-5019.
Heartsaver CPR AED | 1 p.m. May 27, Conway Medical Center. $45. 234-5019.
Swim lessons | times, days and classes vary. CMC Wellness and Fitness Center. 347-1515.
Mobile Health services | 7:30-9:30 a.m. Free screenings include blood pressure, finger stick full lipid panel; total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides and blood sugar. 347-8068 or 234-5019.• Wednesday, Mt. Olive AME Church, 1108 Carver St., Myrtle Beach
• Friday, Donzelle’s Restaurant, 1703 Main St., Conway
• May 20, Gate Bay Apartments, 1300 Creel St. #30C, Conway
• May 21, Hotspot Gresham, 2524 U.S. 378, Gresham
• May 27, Quick Shop, 5100 Cates Bay Highway, Conway
• May 28, Griffin IGA, 8729 S.C. 90, Longs
• May 30, Tilly Swamp Baptist Church, 4619 S.C. 90, Conway
SUPPORT GROUPS• Grief | 10:30 a.m. second Tuesday of the month, Watson Funeral Services and Crematory, 2300 U.S. 378, Conway. 397-2500.
• Al-Anon | 8 p.m. every Tuesday, 508 Beaty St., Conway. 248-5083.
• Conway Al-Anon | 6 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Shoreline Behavior, 2404 Wise Road and 6 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m. Saturdays, 2118 Oak St., Serenity Hall. 465-7416 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Breast Cancer | 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, CMC Outpatient Diagnostic Center, 801 Farrar Drive, Conway. 234-7309.
• Weight Loss | 6:30 p.m. May 20, auditorium, Conway Medical Center. 234-6686.
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Grand Strand Regional Medical Center, but some take place at the YMCA on 62nd Avenue North in Myrtle Beach or at HealthFinders in Coastal Grand mall. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.grandstrandmed.com.
Walk-in screenings | 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Saturday, HealthFinders. $7 for cholesterol screening; $20 for lipid panel; $20 for A1c testing; blood pressure and weight screenings free. A 12-hour fast required for lipid profile. 692-4444.
Ask the Pharmacist | 2-4 p.m. Fridays, HealthFinders. Bring your medication for review. One-on-one consults with a registered pharmacist. 692-4444.
Heart Health Profiles | 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Saturday, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
BLS CPR-AED classes | First Aid; Babysitter and Family Care Giving classes and certifications offered weekly by appointment. All instructors are AHA/ARC certified. K-Loc Healthy Kids, Inc., 1435 Cannon Road, Myrtle Beach. Classes available in Georgetown and North Myrtle Beach. Registration required. 467-0068.
Prime of Life Yoga | 11 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, HealthFinders. $8 per class. 692-4444.
Hatha Yoga class | 10-11 a.m. Fridays, HealthFinders. $8 per class. 692-4444.
Advanced Wound Center | 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, South Strand Medical Center, 5050 U.S. 17 Bypass, Myrtle Beach. 839-6000.
Cholesterol screenings | 8:30-9:30 a.m. May 21, YMCA and Wednesday, main lobby, Grand Strand Medical Center. Finger stick $7; lipid profile $20, requires a 12-hour fast. 692-4444.
Atrial Fibrillation screenings for ages 25 and older | 6-7 p.m. Thursday, HealthFinders and 2-3 p.m. May 19, YMCA. Free. 692-4444 to register.
Seminar: How Smoking Affects your Lungs and Overall Health | 1-2 p.m. Monday, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
Seminar: Using a Post Stroke Checklist | 6-7 p.m. Monday, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
Seminar: Learn Ways to Quit Smoking | Noon to 1 p.m. Thursday, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
Autism Network meeting | 5:30-6:45 p.m. Thursday, Surfside Library, 410 Surfside Drive.
Camp Air Waves | 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 10-13, HealthFinders. The day camp is $25; includes meals, field trips and activities. For children, ages 7-11 with asthma and diabetes. 839-9933.
Safe Sitter Babysitting class for ages 11-13 | 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 30, July 24, Aug. 6, HealthFinders and June 18 and July 29, YMCA. $35 includes materials and book bag. 692-4444 to register.
Blood pressure screenings |10 – 11 a.m. weekdays during May, main lobby, Grand Strand Medical Center. Free screenings during May in recognition for stroke awareness month. 692-4444. Mercy Care will provide additional screenings throughout the area on:• 8-8:30 a.m. Monday, Briarcliff RV Park Clubhouse, 10495 N Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach
• 9 a.m.-noon Monday, Loris Senior Center, 4214 Railroad Ave., Loris
• 10 a.m.-noon Tuesday, Loris Library, 4316 Main St.
• 9-11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Burgess Senior Center, 10299 S.C. 707, Myrtle Beach.
• noon-2 p.m. Thursday, Carolina Forest Library, 2250 Carolina Forest Blvd., Myrtle Beach.
SUPPORT GROUPS• Rape Crisis Center | Individual counseling, support group, 24-hour hotline for victims of sexual assault. 448-3180 or 448-7273.
• National Safe Haven Alliance | Operates a 24-hour hotline that women in distress can use for anonymous assistance. 888-510-2229.
• Unplanned pregnancy? | Free pregnancy testing, free counseling and support. Coastline Women’s Center. 488-9971
• Addiction counseling | Narconon. Call for free assessments or referrals, 877-413-3073 or www.narcononworks.com.
• Nar-Anon family group | 7 p.m. Sundays, Recovery Warehouse, 3116 Shetland Lane, unit 34, Myrtle Beach. 233-9017.
• Mended Hearts | 11:30 a.m. second Monday of each month, meeting room behind cafeteria, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. 685-3378 or email@example.com.
• Inflammatory Bowel Disease | 6:30 p.m. third Friday of every month. 997-1671 for location.
• Stroke | 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
• Prostate | 6 p.m. Wednesday, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
• La Leche Breastfeeding | 10:30 a.m. May 19, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
• ARC | 5:30 May 19, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
• Grief | 1:30 p.m. May 20, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
• Thyroid Cancer | 6-7:30 p.m. May 20, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
• Diabetes | 3 p.m. May 27, HealthFinders. 692-4444.
LORIS/NORTH MYRTLE BEACH
McLeod Health/Loris/Seacoast sponsors the following events, classes and meetings. The hospital system offers a physician referral line. 716-7527 or www.lorishealth.org.
Injury screenings | 8-11 a.m. every Wednesday, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic and Fitness Center. 360-213-3620 or 281-3737 to schedule an appointment.
Fitness classes | Center for Health and Fitness. Free for members; $5 for guest of members; $8 non-members. 716-7111. Classes scheduled as follows:• Zumba | 10 a.m. Monday
• Just Step | 6 p.m. Monday and 5 p.m. Wednesday
Mall Walkers | 9 a.m. first Tuesday of each month, Myrtle Beach mall food court. Registration requested, 272-4040, ext. 110.
Lymphedema screenings |10 a.m. to noon Wednesday, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic and Fitness Center. 390-8326.
AARP Smart Driving program | 9 a.m. May 22, Center for Health and Fitness. $15/AARP members and $20/non-members. 301- 536-1107 to register.
Health and Fitness program for ages 13 and up | 5:30-7 p.m., the North Myrtle Beach Park and Sports Complex, 150 Citizens Circle, Little River. Free medical screening and one-on-one nutrition counseling. 390-8326 to register. Scheduled as follows:• Tuesday, Proper Stretching Before and After Physical Activity
• May 20, Hypertension and Fitness
• May 27, Joint Movement
SUPPORT GROUPS• Al-Anon | 6:30-7:30 p.m. every Tuesday, A.A. Building, U.S. 17 S., Grissettown, N.C., across from Ocean Ridge, near Calabash and Shallotte. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or just show up at the next meeting.
• Grief | 10:30 a.m. first Tuesday of each month, the Center for Counseling and Wellness, 110 Ye Olde Kings Highway, North Myrtle Beach. 663-0770.
• Multiple Sclerosis | 6 p.m. second Tuesday of each month, Center for Health and Fitness. 390-8326.
• Parkinson’s | 2 p.m. third Wednesday of each month, parish hall, Our Lady Star of the Sea Church. 399-7029.
• Ostomy | 2 p.m. first Sunday of each month, McLeod Seacoast Cafe. 390-8326.
• Fibromyalgia/Arthritis | 11 a.m. first Wednesday of each month, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic and Fitness Center. 390-8326.
• Diabetes | 10 a.m. May 30, McLeod Seacoast Cafe. 390-8326.
Join the Discussion
Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.