Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Tidelands Health, but some take place at different locations. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.tidelandshealth.org
Chronic kidney disease education | Varying schedule, varying locations in Horry and Georgetown counties. Free. 866-647-9396 or visit www.ultracare-dialysis.com/TOPS
TAKE OFF POUNDS SENSIBLY
Never miss a local story.
▪ Survivors of Suicide-SOS | 6-8 p.m. first Wednesday of each month, meeting room, Inlet Square mall. 843-357-6848
▪ Grief | 10:30-noon first and third Wednesday, Burroughs Funeral Home, 3558 Old Kings Highway, Murrells Inlet. Free. 843-979-0304
▪ Diabetes | 11 a.m. to noon, first Wednesday of every month, Tidelands Community Resource Center, 1101 Highmarket St., Georgetown. Free. 843-520-8599 or email@example.com or 843-520-8576 or firstname.lastname@example.org
▪ Autism | 6-7:30 p.m. Oct. 6, Georgetown Library, 405 Cleland St. 843-436-5900 or 843-325-9355
▪ Parkinson’s | 7 p.m. second Thursday, NHC Health Care, 9405 U.S. 17 Bypass, Garden City Beach. 843-357-2306
Blood drives sponsored by American Red Cross are scheduled as follows. Call 843-839-4483 or 800-RED-CROSS or www.redcrossblood.org.
▪ 2 -7 p.m. Oct. 3, Grace Christian Fellowship, 1223 Highway 57 N., Little River
▪ Noon - 6 p.m. Oct. 4, King of Glory Lutheran Church, 805 11th Ave. N., North Myrtle Beach
▪ 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 5, Edward Jones Myrtle Beach, 7833 N. Kings Highway.
▪ 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 7, Georgetown Memorial Hospital, 606 Black River Road.
▪ 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 11, Sea Glass Towers, 1400 N. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach
▪ 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 12, Golf Academy, 1900 Joe White Ave., Myrtle Beach
▪ 12:30 - 6:30 p.m. Oct. 13, McLeod Loris, 3655 Mitchell St., Loris
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Conway Medical Center. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.conwaymedicalcenter.com.
Obstetrics tour | 2 p.m. every Sunday, Conway Medical Center. 843-347-8108
Freedom from Smoking Class series | 3-5 p.m. or 5-7 p.m. every Tuesday through Oct. 20, Conway Medical Center. $50. 843-347-7107
Breastfeeding Class | 7-9 p.m. Oct. 4, private dining room #2, Conway Medical Center. 843-347-8108
“Walk to Remember” | 2-4 p.m. Oct. 9, CMC Patient Services and Birthplace entrance. Ceremony and a symbolic walk dedicated to all the babies who die each year though pregnancy loss, stillbirth or newborn death. Refreshments and fellowship to follow. 843-347-8007
Seminar: Joint Replacement | Noon Oct. 11, Conway Medical Center. Lunch will be served. 843-347-8108
Seminar: Spine | Noon Oct. 14, Conway Medical Center. Lunch will be served. 843-347-8108
Childbirth class | 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Oct. 15, Conway Medical Center. 843-347-8108
▪ Al-Anon | 8 p.m. every Tuesday, 508 Beaty St., Conway. 843-450-5620
▪ Conway Al-Anon | 6 p.m. Wednesday, 6 p.m. Thursday and 10 a.m. Saturday, Serenity Hall, 2118 Oak St., Conway. 843-465-7416 or email@example.com
▪ Breast Cancer | 5:30 p.m. Oct. 11, CMC Outpatient Diagnostic Center, 801 Farrar Drive, Conway. 843-234-7309
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Grand Strand Medical Center, but some take place at the YMCA on 62nd Avenue North in Myrtle Beach or at HealthFinders in Coastal Grand mall. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit MyGrandStrandHealth.com/Events.
Walk-in screenings | 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, HealthFinders. Offers low cost cholesterol and A1C screenings daily. 843-692-4444
Ask the Pharmacist | 2-4 p.m. Fridays, HealthFinders. Bring your medication for review. One-on-one consults with a registered pharmacist. 843-692-4444
AARP Smart Driver course | 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Oct. 3, HealthFinders. $20; $15 AARP members. 843-692-4444
Grief Educational workshop | 3-4:30 p.m. Wednesdays through Oct. 26, meeting room B, Grissom campus, First Presbyterian Church, 3810 Robert Grissom Parkway, Myrtle Beach. Free. 843-448-4496 to register.
Baby and children’s health fair | 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 8, HealthFinders. 843-692-4444
Seminar: Weight Loss Surgery | 6-7 p.m. Oct. 11, HealthFinders. 843-692-4444
Seminar: Hip Replacement Surgery | 6-7 p.m. Oct. 13, HealthFinders. 843-692-4444
Infant Care class | 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Oct. 15, HealthFinders. Free. 843-692-4444
Breastfeeding class | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. Oct. 15, HealthFinders. Free. 843-692-4444
Sibling Preparation class for children ages 3-10 | 2-3 p.m. Oct. 16, Grand Strand Medical Center. Free. 843-692-4444
Obstetrics tour | 3:30-4 p.m. Oct. 16, Grand Strand Medical Center. Free. 843-692-4444
Coping with grief during the holidays | 3-4:30 p.m. Oct. 18, Mercy Care, 8216 Devon Court, Myrtle Beach. The program is free but donations are appreciated. 843-234-6271 to register.
Medicare workshop for prescription drug plans - part D | 9:30 a.m. Oct. 19, 26, Nov. 2, 9, 23, 30, Socastee Library, 141 S.C. 707- Connector Road, Myrtle Beach. 843-436-6252 or firstname.lastname@example.org, registration required.
Self Defense class | 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 22, X Gym, 568 George Bishop Parkway, Myrtle Beach. Free. 843-448-3180
AARP Smart Driver course | 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Oct. 29, Chapin Memorial Library. $20; $15 members. 843-945-4455 to reserve a seat.
Turkey Trot 5K - autism awareness 1-mile run for the kids | 8 a.m. Nov. 24, Market Common. To register, www.festivalpromos.com
▪ Alcoholics Anonymous meetings | Varying schedule, varying locations on the Grand Strand. 24-hour hotline. 843-445-7119 or visit www.aamyrtlebeach.org
▪ Living with Kidney Disease education | Varying schedule, varying locations in Horry and Georgetown counties. Free. 866-647-9396 or visit www.fresenius kidneycare.com
▪ Overeaters Anonymous, Meetings throughout the Grand Strand. Call for information. 843-222-3416.
▪ Rape Crisis Center | Individual counseling, support group, 24-hour hotline for victims of sexual assault. 843-448-3180 or 843-448-7273
▪ National Safe Haven Alliance | Operates a 24-hour hotline that women in distress can use for anonymous assistance. 888-510-2229
▪ Unplanned pregnancy? | Free pregnancy testing, free counseling and support. Coastline Women’s Center. 843-488-9971
▪ Addiction counseling | Narconon Arrowhead. Call for free assessments or referrals, 800-468-6933 or www.narcononarrow- head.org
▪ Brain and Stroke Injury | 6:30-8 p.m. second Thursday, September through May, room A, Base Recreation Center, 800 Gabreski Lane, Myrtle Beach. 843-918-2380
▪ Waccamaw Regional Family Caregiver Support | 1-3 p.m. first Friday, Grand Strand Senior Center, 1268 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach. 843-436-6144
▪ Myasthenia Gravis - Myrtle Beach | 1-3 p.m. second Saturday, AA Health, 4620 Dick Pond Road, Myrtle Beach. 843-504-8063 or 843-997-9119
▪ Recovering couples anonymous | 7-8:30 p.m. Sundays, 48th Avenue North, Myrtle Beach. Call for directions, 843-602-4380 or 843-602-3171
▪ Mended Hearts | 11:30 a.m. second Monday, Mercy Care, 8216 Devon Court, Myrtle Beach. 843-685-3378 or email@example.com
▪ Grief | 3-4:30 p.m. first and third Tuesday, meeting room A, Grissom campus, First Presbyterian Church, 3810 Robert Grissom Parkway, Myrtle Beach. 843-448-4496 to make reservation
▪ Adult Survivors’ | 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays, 1551 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach. 843-448-3180
▪ Brain Injury (TBI) and Stoke (ABI) | 6:30 p.m. second Monday of each month, Sept.- May, the Base Recreation Center, 800 Gabreski Lane, Myrtle Beach. http://billjarvis.org/
▪ Spinal Cord Injury | 6 p.m. Oct. 5, HealthFinders. 843-692-4444
▪ Cushing’s | 1 p.m. Oct. 11, HealthFinders. 843-692-4444
▪ Stroke | 2 p.m. Oct. 11, HealthFinders. 843-692-4444
▪ La Leche Breastfeeding | 10:30 a.m. Oct. 12, HealthFinders. 843-692-4444
▪ Prostate Cancer | 6 p.m. Oct. 12, HealthFinders. 843-692-4444
LORIS/NORTH MYRTLE BEACH
▪ Al-Anon | 6:30-7:30 p.m. every Tuesday, A.A. Building, U.S. 17 S., Grissettown, N.C., across from Ocean Ridge, near Calabash and Shallotte. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or just show up at the next meeting
▪ Grief | 10:30 a.m. first Tuesday, the Center for Counseling and Wellness, 110 Ye Olde Kings Highway, North Myrtle Beach. 843-663-0770
▪ Alzheimer’s Caregiver | 11 a.m. to noon second Tuesday, Loris Library, 4316 Main St. Free and open to the public. 843-655-7192
▪ Parenting of Teens | 6-8 p.m. second and fourth Tuesday, the Brunswick County Courthouse, 310 Government Center Drive NE #1, Bolivia, N.C. Free. 910-253-4087 or email@example.com to pre-register.
▪ NAMI Family | 6-8 p.m. first Thursday, room D, Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church, 1100 Eighth Ave. N., North Myrtle Beach. 843-281-0245
▪ Ostomy | 2-4 p.m. first Sunday of April, May, June, Oct. and Nov., cafeteria, McLeod Seacoast Hospital, 4000 S.C. 9 E., Little River. 518-821-7675 or 843-430-1474.
To have your local health events and information listed, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information: Name of your group, time and date of meeting/event, location/address, topic/purpose, whether it is open to the public, whether it's free or the amount it costs. These announcements are listed each Monday on a space-available basis.