Fall is my favorite time of year in Myrtle Beach. The weather is spectacular, the water’s still warm, and there are plenty of free and cheap activities to keep me busy. Here’s a list of what’s happening over the next few weeks:
Friday, Saturday and Sunday
• Broadway at the Beach is holding a Fall Crawl on Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Admission is free. This event includes sidewalk sales, family-style entertainment, a fireworks extravaganza (9 p.m. on Saturday), and food sampling. The sampling will take place in Celebrity Square from 4 to 8 p.m. on Friday and from noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday. Sampling tickets are $1 each. You’ll need more than one for each sample.
Never miss a local story.
• During the months of September and October, several organizations will be participating in the Nickelodeon/United States Tennis Organization Free Play Days. The Play Days, which are open to all ages and skill levels, are designed to get kids active. Kids will have the opportunity to play tennis, as well as participate in a variety of tennis skills activities. For a list of dates and locations, go to http://www.youthtennis.com/find_events/.
• Oktoberfest at The Market Common begins on Sept. 28 and runs through Sept. 30. Admission is free. There will be live entertainment; German food, beer and wine for purchase; kids’ games and activities; and craft vendors. Hours are from 4 to 9 p.m. on Friday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, and noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday.
• The 37th Annual Atalaya Arts & Crafts Festival will be held on Sept. 28-30 in Huntington Beach State Park. Admission is $6 daily for adults; free for kids 15 and under. Multi-day passes are $10. The festival will feature works by more than 100 artisans. There will also be live music, and food and drinks for purchase. Festival hours are from noon to 6 p.m. on Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday and 10na.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.
• On Sept. 29, the town of Surfside Beach is holding a Skyhoundz Disc Contest at the Huckabee Complex (499 Spanish Oak Drive) from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This event, which they’re advertising as the “largest disc-dog competition series in the world,” is free for both participants and spectators. Call 650-9548 for more information.
• The 9th Annual Irish Italian International Festival will take place on Sept. 29 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Main Street in North Myrtle Beach. Admission is free. This event includes live music and other entertainment, kids’ activities, vendors, a spaghetti eating competition, food and drinks for purchase, and more.