• Croissants Bistro & Bakery will host its 3rd Annual Cupcake Eating Contest and Festival on Independence Day (Friday). The event will feature a wide variety of entertainment, including carnival games, pony rides, a petting zoo, music, face painting, balloon animals and kid’s cupcake decorating. Hamburgers, hotdogs and ice cream will be available for purchase. New South Brewery will be at the event and all proceeds from beer sales will benefit the Culinary Institute of Myrtle Beach at Horry-Georgetown Technical College. Competition participants must be 18 or older to enter. The winner will be crowned, Cupcake Champion of Myrtle Beach. Prize package includes tickets to Myrtle Beach area attractions, restaurants and retail stores as well as a vacation package, all valued at more than $1,000. The event will be held at Croissants Bistro & Bakery at 3751 Robert M Grissom Parkwway, Myrtle Beach from 2-5 p.m. Friday. Croissants Bistro & Bakery is accepting entries, but space is limited. Contestants are encouraged to register by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 448-2253.
• Malibu of Surfside is open for business in the building that was Charleston Café for a long time, and then Opa!, a short-lived Greek restaurant. The site has been transformed into an elegant, casual sunset-themed atmosphere that offers authentic, real Italian food. Malibu of Surfside opens six days a week at 11 a.m. with paninis, bugers, hotdogs, grilled cheese and salads. The all-Italian vibe begins at 5:30 p.m. with appetizers, such as the fried cappellini made with angel hair pasta cakes, egg, ricotta and parmigiana cheese. Pasta, lobster, chicken bruschetta, veal, shrimp, steak and grouper are entrée options. A wine menu is also available. You can find Malibu of Surfside at 815 Surfside Drive in Surfside Beach and the number is 945-4948. It is closed on Sundays.
• DJ, radio personality, promoter and club owner Jonathan "DJ ROC" Blye and club owners, real-estate investors and promoters Henry Brewington Sr. and Jr. are teaming up to bring Myrtle Beach urban nightlife at Levelz of Myrtle Beach will open on Independence Day, with state of the art sound and lights, three big screen TVs, top shelf bar options, VIP sections, free Wi-Fi and a full service kitchen. Live performances and DJ appearances are planned throughout the summer and Levelz also offers a free app for Androids and iPhones that allows app users to receive updated information, exclusive discounts, specials and more. Levelz opens every night this summer at 10 p.m. and is located at 515 9th Avenue N. in Myrtle Beach. Levelz can be contacted by calling 267-6900
• Alfresco Georgetown Bistro will participate in “Dining For a Cause” on July 23 by offering a portion of that day’s proceeds to support the work of Miss Ruby’s Kids, an early childhood literacy program that was founded 11 years ago. Located in the heart of Georgetown at 812 Front Street, Alfresco specializes in Italian and seafood dishes. Lunch features a selection of dishes including antipasti with the choice of tuna nachos, mussels, calamari, steamed clams or shrimp. Luncheon entrees also offer pork tacos, salmon, lamb chops, and filet. The dinner menu features entrees with chicken, veal, pork, pasta, filet mignon and grilled rack of lamb. Alfresco Georgetown Bistro is open Monday through Saturday for lunch from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m., and dinner is served from 4 until 10 p.m. Reservations can be made by calling 344-3869. For additional information about Miss Ruby’s Kids, call 436-7197 at www.missrubyskids.net.
• Bojangles’ is turning its Bo-Berry Biscuits red, white and blue in celebration of Independence Day. The limited-time two-for-99=cents offer on Red, White and Bo-Berry Biscuits are available at locations in the Florence and Myrtle Beach areas through July 20. Red, White and Bo-Berry Biscuits have the taste as Bojangles’ original Bo-Berry Biscuit with Bo-berries baked into them and topped with sweet icing. Bojangles’ also offers Bo-Berry Biscuits by the half-dozen and dozen. For more information, visit www.bojangles.com.
• Salsarita’s Fresh Cantina has recently created what’s being dubbed the World’s hottest burrito known as The BurHEATo. It is made with the infamous Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper, the Guinness World Record Holder for Hottest Chile Pepper. To give the hot burrito a shot visit Salsarita’s Fresh Cantina between 11 a.m. and 9 p.m. at 3731 Oleander Drive, Myrtle Beach.
July 1, 2014
Red, white and blue Myrtle Beach-area restaurant news and notes
An open and shut case for July 3, 2014