We all go through phases in which we cannot afford the prices of spa treatments. No need to allow yourself to go grizzly and rough. Spa treatments can be done at home (even certain yoga poses are similar to massage for your body) for little money.
The key is to get rid of the pets and distractions. Create a relaxing environment and give yourself a home facial. This is especially effective for glowing skin for a special date or event.
▪ Cleanse face to remove makeup. I like Neutrogena cleanser; it’s gentle and inexpensive. When cleansing, massage in cleanser a bit to clean skin. Remove cleanser with warm wet towels or washcloths.
▪ Make an herbal face steam: 8 tsp. each dried sage, mint, yarrow, lemon balm and rosemary. Combine and wrap herbs in cheesecloth. Place into steaming pot of low boil purified water. Steam face for 5-10 minutes. Do not steam acne skin.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Give yourself a facial massage to stimulate circulation, oxygenate the blood, soften lines and expel toxins. Consider a massage a natural facelift! With a light massage oil, work upward from décolleté, up neck (one of the first places to show age), jawline area and up cheeks (gentle around tender eye areas) and working in an upwards motion across forehead.
Don’t neglect nose creases beside nostrils. Using ring and middle fingers on both hands, use slight pressure and a lifting up repeating massage and then small circular movements, especially around temple points. Remove oil with warm cloth. Keep massage to a minimum if your skin is broken out.
▪ Apply citrus deep cleaning mask: 1 oz. citrus toner (recipe below) and 2 oz. Chinese clay. Slowly add toner to clay and mix well. Apply all over face and leave on 15 minutes. Remove with warm water, patting dry.
▪ Apply a light moisturizer (Lubriderm is a great one, and it’s cheap) then makeup.
One of the best ways to get glowing skin is to use home hydrotherapy, also known as a long, hot (not too hot!) shower with a strong flow showerhead. People pay a lot of money for hydrotherapy treatments in a spa. It’s basically water massage. Using the strength of the flow to create pressure (massage) and the steam to open pores, a home hydrotherapy treatment is an amazing way to have beautiful skin. Is it my imagination that women who take long showers every night, as opposed to women who take baths, have prettier skin?
Having spa treatments is a little more work in preparation but “self-care” in every way is well worth that effort. Beautiful skin is easy to obtain … just start by taking a long shower.
Recipe for citrus toner
▪ Zest from 2 lemons
▪ Zest from 2 grapefruits
▪ Zest from 2 oranges (peel only)
Combine above with 1 cup purified water.
Place in pitcher; cover and leave for 12 hours. Strain liquid through coffee filter and pour into sterilized bottle. Store in fridge and use within two weeks.