SATURDAY, MONDAY, NEXT THURSDAY | 05.28, 05.30, 06.02
‘Alice Flagg,’ ‘Dixie Swim Club,’ Charlie Daniels grace stages
▪ Carolina Forest High School show choirs in “To the Stage,” 10-10:30 a.m. Saturday, viewable only at www.dancenetwork.tv; from there, choose the prompts for “Channels,” then “Original content,” and “To the Stage” (tothestage.tv).
▪ Local premiere – after its formal debut last year in Washington, D.C. – of Pawleys Island native Joseph R. Kaz’s “Alice Flagg” opera, about a romantic legend among Lowcountry ghost stories – with Christine Browne-Munz, mezzosoprano; Emily Casey and Catherine Wethington, sopranos; Matthew Woorman, baritone; and Jerrod Laber, tenor – 7 p.m. Monday at Winyah Auditorium, 1200 Highmarket St., Georgetown. But tickets for $25 at 843-520-0744 or ccgc.yapsody.com/event/index/32173/alice-flagg.
▪ “Dixie Swim Club,” about five college chums who reunite annually, opening June 2 – 8 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays and 3 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays, through June 19 – at Stage Left Theatre Company, 3064 DeVille St., Myrtle Beach, between Nevers and Lewis streets, in The Market Common, next to Coastal Dance Centre. $18 general admission, and $15 active-duty military, veterans and students. 843-232-0339 or www.stagelefttheatremb.com.
▪ Charlie Daniels Band, at 7:30 p.m. June 2 at Francis Marion University Performing Arts Center, 201 S. Dargan St., Florence. $57 or $67. 843-661-4444 or www.fmupac.org.
FRIDAY, SATURDAY | 05.27, 05.28
Wild Water & Wheels, Splashes water parks open for summer
Two more area water parks open for the summer this weekend, and each has combination rates available for all-day rides nearby:
▪ Wild Water & Wheels, 910 U.S. Business S., Surfside Beach: 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday and May 31-June 2, Aug. 22-26 and 31, and Sept. 1-3; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday-Monday, and Aug. 27-28 and Sept. 4-5; and 10 a.m.-6 p.m. June 3-Aug. 21 (but closed June 4 – and open until 9 p.m. Fridays, June 10-Aug. 12). Rides and miniature golf open later in day and usually closing later as well. Admission, plus tax: $27.98 for anyone 4 feet or taller, $19.98 under 4 feet or ages 55 and older, and respective rates dip at 3 p.m. to $19.98 and $17.98, respectively, and to $9.95 for ages 3 and older entering 5-9 p.m. on Fridays open later. Entry is always free for ages 2 and younger. Season passes also available. 843-238-3787 or www.wild-water.com.
▪ Splashes Oceanfront Water Park, 300 S. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, across from Family Kingdom Amusement Park, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday-June 10 and Aug. 14-Sept. 4; and 10 a.m.-6 p.m. June 11-Aug. 13. Admission, plus tax: $21.95 for anyone 4 feet or taller, $18.95 children under 4 feet; also, $37.95 combo ticket for one day water park, and one day amusement park. 843-626-3447 or www.familykingdomfun.com.
Also, since opening for weekends on May 7, Myrtle Waves Water Park, at U.S. 17 Bypass and Mr. Joe White Avenue (formerly 10th Avenue North) Extension in Myrtle Beach, is open 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Saturday-Monday, and going daily, 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m. June 4- Aug. 14 (and open till 9 p.m. Wednesdays in that period), then back to Saturdays-Sundays, Aug. 14-Sept. 4, plus Sept. 5. More details on prices, and discounts with ID, at 843-913-9250 or www.myrtlewaves.com.
FRIDAY, MONDAY | 05.27, 05.30
Both local amusement parks open daily for season
▪ Family Kingdom Amusement Park, 300 S. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, through Sept. 11, then weekends through Oct. 1. Opening time varies by day of the week, so for the next week: 6-10 p.m. weekdays, and 4-8 p.m. Saturday-Sunday. Ride wristbands for all ages – which do not include go-carts and zip lines – are $27.35 plus tax (or $15.75 total for local residents with ID, sold only in the office under Swamp Fox roller coaster), and individual ride tickets cost $1.15 plus tax each, with 2-5 tickets needed per ride. 843-626-3447 or www.familykingdomfun.com.
▪ Ocean Drive (OD) Pavilion Amusement Park, 90 S. Ocean Blvd., North Myrtle Beach, at “Horseshoe”/Main Street, 5-11 p.m. daily from Monday (Memorial Day) through Sept. 5 (Labor Day). Ride tickets $1.50 each (3-5 tickets needed for most rides), 15-pack of tickets for $22, 27 tickets for $38, or $27 all-ride wristband. 954-871-4777 or www.odpavilion.com.
SUNDAYS | Through 09.25
‘Surfside Sunday Serenades’ starts eighth summer
The eighth annual “Surfside Sunday Serenades,” will swing into summer this weekend, 2-5 p.m. Sundays through Sept. 25.
Acoustic musicians take turns entertaining for 45 minutes each, in the gazebo at Surfside Beach’s Passive Park, near the veterans memorial, at Surfside and Willow drives, by the front of Horry County Memorial Library’s Surfside Beach branch. The opening schedule comprises:
▪ May 29 – (2-4 p.m.) Glenn “Houndog” Hanson, Acoustic Johnny, Dr. Joe Moyer, and Lana Guy.
▪ June 5 – Neal Peterson, Lara Maraqa, Zoey Lee, and Lola.
▪ June 12 – Wind, John Billigen, Brian Roessler, and M.I. Blue (bluegrass).
▪ June 19 – Stephanie Fagan, Acoustic Johnny, Rich Johnson, and Amanda Miele.
▪ June 26 – Doug Fankhauser, Sudie & Da’blooze, Eddie Blackmon, and Anna Corley.
Admission is free. Details at 843-450-7281.
FRIDAY, MONDAY, NEXT THURSDAY | 05.27, 05.30, 06.02
Exhibits, “Endangered Species Art Classes’ sail into June
▪ Opening of “Shipwrecks” exhibit – a slide show on coastal shipwrecks, as well as some shipwreck artifacts, and a new 700-gallon aquarium incorporating part of ship’s paddlewheel – noon Friday at Museum of Coastal Carolina, 21 E. Second St., Ocean Isle Beach, N.C. Free with admission: $9.50 ages 13-61, $8.50 ages 62 and older, $7.50 ages 3-12, and free ages 2 and younger. Museum hours through Sept. 5 are 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Fridays, and 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Saturdays. 910-579-1016 or www.museumplanetarium.org.
▪ The Associated Artists of Southport’s “Summer Regional Show,” Monday-June 18 at Franklin Square Gallery, 130 E. West St., Southport, N.C., with announcement of winners during “First Friday Gallery Walk” reception, 5-7 p.m. June 3. Gallery open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays. Free. 910-457-5450 or www.franklinsquaregallery.com.
▪ “Endangered Species Art Classes,” for ages 10 and older on several Thursdays starting June 2 – 9 a.m.-noon for acrylic painting on 16-by-20-inch canvasses, then 1:30-4:30 p.m. for sculpting 8-12-inch figures – with Stephanie Sellers, in North Myrtle Beach’s J. Bryan Floyd Community Center, 1030 Possum Trot Road, with this schedule: hawksbill sea turles on June 2, leatherback sea turtle June 16, fin whale June 30, American alligator July 7, West Indian manatee July 21, humpback whale Aug. 4, and Kemp’s Ridley sea turtle Aug. 18. $35 per class, and preregistration required. 843-280-5584, 919-353-2522, or email Gaumedup@gmail.com.