FRIDAY-SUNDAY, TUESDAY | 04.15-04.17, 04.19
Special shows include ‘The Sleeping Beauty” ballet
▪ “The Sleeping Beauty,” by Coastal Youth Ballet Theatre , 7 p.m. Friday and 4 p.m. Saturday-Sunday at Beach Church, 557 George Bishop Parkway, just west of Myrtle Beach, between U.S. 501 and U.S. 17 Bypass. $25 ages 13 and older and $10 ages 3-12. 843-839-5678, 843-651-2006 or www.cybt.org.
▪ “Bird Songs” Nashville Songwriters in the Round event, 5:30-9 p.m. Saturday for and at The Center for Birds of Prey, 4719 U.S. 17 N., Awendaw, about 35 miles south of Georgetown. $125, including dinner and beverages. 843-606-3400, 843-971-7474 or www.thecenterforbirdsofprey.org.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Drifters, Coasters and Platters, 7 p.m. Saturday at Alabama Theatre, at Barefoot Landing, on U.S. 17 in North Myrtle Beach. $35.95, $43.95 or $49.95. 843-272-1111 or www.alabama-theatre.com.
▪ Reunion concert by King Hippo – a jam band from Columbia that played 1999-2007 across the Carolinas, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida and Louisiana – 9 p.m. Saturday at Pawleys Island Tavern, 10635 Ocean Highway, Pawleys Island. Free. 843-241-7069.
▪ 13th annual “Sing into Spring Concert” benefit for South Brunswick Interchurch Council, 3-5 p.m. Sunday at Calabash Covenant Presbyterian Church, 8820 Old Georgetown Road, Calabash, N.C. Free; donations of nonperishable food requested. 910-579-7356, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Chicora Rotary Club’s “Waves of the Future: Rotary’s Celebration of Horry County Schools,” 4 p.m. Sunday at Calvin Gilmore Theater, on U.S. 17 Business at U.S. Bypass on northern tip of Myrtle Beach. $24.95, $29.95 or $45.95 ages 17 and older; and $9.95, $14.95 or $19.95 ages 3-16. 843-913-4000 or chicorarotary.org/waves-of-the-future/.
▪ Grand Strand Chapter of American Guild of Organists’ “Festival of Hymns,” 4 p.m. Sunday at Belin United Methodist Churchm 4182 U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet. 843-488-4251 or www.agograndstrand.org.
▪ Pawleys Island Concert Band spring concert, “Around the World in 80 Minutes,” 7 p.m. Tuesday at Pawleys Island Community Church, 101304 Ocean Highway. Free. 843-274-5991 or www.pawleysislandconcertband.org.
SATURDAY-SUNDAY, WEDNESDAY | 04.16-04.17, 04.20
‘Neighbor to Neighbor Open House,’ ‘BaconFest’ among celebrations
▪ “Pet Fair,” 9 a.m.-noon Saturday in Surfside Beach Dog Park, along Willow Drive North, between First Avenue North and Pine Drive, near Horry County Memorial Library Surfside Beach branch. Free. 843-650-9548 or www.surfsidebeach.org/Data/Sites/1/media/ events/pet-fair.pdf.
▪ “Neighbor to Neighbor Open House,” 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at Myrtle Beach’s Crabtree Memorial Gymnasium, on Crabtree Lane, near The Market Common. including Ultimate Pet Services’ 50/50 raffle benefiting Bikini Beach Cat Rescue of Surfside Beach (843-655-7881 or ). Free admission. 843-918-2355.
▪ “Earth Day at the Bay” festival, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.Saturday at Ocean Bay Middle School, 905 International Drive, west of Myrtle Beach and S.C. 31. Free. Bring cell phones, hand held electronics, and phone books to recycle, for raffle tickets 843-903-8420, or email email@example.com.
▪ WLFF-FM “Nash” 106.5’s “BaconFest,” 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday at House of Blues, in Barefoot Landing, on U.S. 17 in North Myrtle Beach, with Tru Sol performing noon-2 p.m. Free admission, and sampling tickets $1 each. 843-357-8664.
▪ “Pig Picking” meal, with music by The Coastal Boys, noon Saturday at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10420, 4359 U.S. 17 Bypass S., Murrells Inlet. $7. 843-651-6900.
▪ “Woofstock” benefit for Grand Strand Humane Society of Myrtle Beach, 1-8 p.m. Saturday at Sticky Fingers Ribhouse, off Harrelson Boulevard in Myrtle Beach, outside south end of Coastal Grand mall. 843-861-2698, 843-918-4910 or www.grandstrandhumanesociety.com.
▪ Grand Strand Beach Social Dancers’ season finale, in “Hello, Spring” theme, 7-10 p.m. Saturday at Grand Strand Senior Center, 1268 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach. $7. 843-903-3765.
▪ South by Southeast Music Feast with Geoff Achison & The SoulDiggers, benefiting local school music programs, 7 p.m. Saturday at Myrtle Beach Train Depot, 851 Broadway St. $20 advance or $25 at door. 843-251-6402 or www.southbysoutheast.org.
▪ Garden Party for Miss Ruby’s Kids early childhood education program in Georgetown County, 2-5:30 p.m. Sunday, with Kevin Jayroe, emcee, at Kaminski House Museum, 1003 Front St., Georgetown. $100. 843-436-7197 or www.missrubyskids.net.
▪ “Beethoven & Blue Jeans” Barbecue, benefiting Long Bay Symphony and Youth Orchestra, 5-9 p.m. Sunday at Inlet Affairs, 4024 U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet. $50, including meal, dancing, and cash bar. 843-448-8379, 843-503-2794 or longbaysymphony.com.
▪ Jazzercise class, benefiting The Humane Society of North Myrtle Beach, 9-10 a.m. Wednesday at OD Pavilion, 90 S. Ocean Blvd., North Myrtle Beach. Donations welcome. 843-457-9923, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FRIDAY-SUNDAY, TUESDAY | 04.15-04.17, 04.19
Artists works’ shine in galleries, park, museum
▪ Seacoast Artists Guild’s 13th annual Spring Art Show and Sale, opening Friday – including awards reception 4-6 p.m. Saturday – going through April 25, at Seacoast Artists Gallery, 3032 Nevers St., Myrtle Beach, in The Market Common – open 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and noon-6 p.m. Sundays. 843-232-7009 or www.seacoastartistsguild.com.
▪ Waccamaw Arts and Crafts Guild’s 44th annual “Art in the Park,” 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday-Sunday in Myrtle Beach’s Valor Memorial Garden, on Farrow Parkway, at The Market Common. Free. 843-446-3830 or www.artsyparksy.com.
▪ “Horry-Georgetown County High Schools’ 15th annual Juried Art Exhibition,” Sunday-May 22 at Franklin G. Burroughs-Simeon B. Chapin Art Museum, 3100 S. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, across from Midway Par 3 Golf and Springmaid Beach Resort, open 1-4 p.m. Sundays and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays. Free. 843-238-2510 or www.myrtlebeachartmuseum.org.
▪ Spring open house, 5-7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Island Art Gallery, in the Village Shops, 10744M Ocean Highway, Pawleys Island. 843-314-4260 or www.pawleysislandart.com.
OPENS FRIDAY | 04.15-04.24
Pick a shag event, and hit the floor
Shaggers will amass for the SOS (Society of Stranders) “Spring Safari,” Friday-April 24 at various sites across North Myrtle Beach. Events include:
▪ North Myrtle Beach Rotary Club’s “Shaggin’ on the Boulevard” dance competition, 6-9 p.m. Saturday at Avista Resort, 300 N. Ocean Blvd., North Myrtle Beach. $60, including dinner. Details at 843-222-4014 or www.rotary7770.org.
▪ Outings with the Coastal Shag Club, based in Brunswick County, including its “Spring Fling” dinner dance with the Sea & Sand Band, 6-10 p.m. April 21 at Sea Trail Golf Resort & Convention Center, 75 Clubhouse Road, Sunset Beach, N.C. $22, with cash bar. 910-579-8028 or 910-575-0224. More details: www.coastalshagclub.org.
▪ Association of Carolina Shag Clubs’ 22nd annual SOS Parade – also honoring Don David for 20 years, and finale, as parade chairman – 1 p.m. April 23 on Main Street in North Myrtle Beach.
Full details on SOS membership and activities at shagdance.com.
FRIDAYS, SUNDAYS | Into summer
Free concerts twice every weekend at Boathouse
The Boathouse Waterway Bar & Grill has two free concert series making waves, with this schedule through May:
▪ 9 p.m. Fridays, with Cole Taylor on April 15, an act to be announced for April 22, OutshyneApril 29, Tyler Hammond May 6, Davisson Brothers May 13, Old Southern Moonshine Revival May 20, and Adam Carter May 27.
▪ 5 p.m. Sundays, with Dangermuffin on April 17, The Lacs April 24, Ballyhoo! May 1, Saving Abel May 8, The Outlaws May 15, Tone Loc with Tru Sol May 22, Cadillac Three May 29.
The Boathouse is at 201 Fantasy Harbor Blvd., along the Intracoastal Waterway, just west of Myrtle Beach, off U.S. 501, next to Clarion Hotel.
Details at 843-903-2628 or www.boathousemb.com.