River blockade recounted
A summer lecture series on Tuesdays continues, with Lori Sanderlin, curator of education for the N.C. Maritime Museum at Southport, talking about Civil War river pilots and the blockade of the Lower Cape Fear, and their their economic, strategic, and geographic importance. Details at 910-579-1016 or www.musemplanetarium.org.
Details: 6 p.m. at Museum of Coastal Carolina, 21 E. Second St., Ocean Isle Beach, N.C. (open 10 a.m.-8 p.m.). Free with admission: $9 ages 13-61, $8 ages 62 and older, $7 ages 3-12, and free ages 2 and younger.
Special programs at library
Never miss a local story.
Georgetown County Library’s new Waccamaw Neck branch, 41 St. Paul Place, Litchfield Beach, off Willbrook Boulevard, has two special programs, for free. More details from Steele Bremner at 545-3363 or email email@example.com:
▪ “Let the Beauty We Love Be What We Do” retreat, 1-4 p.m. with Sally Z. Hare, senior facilitator of the national Center for Courage and Renewal and retired dean of graduate and continuing education at Coastal Carolina University.
▪ “Author’s Table,” 5:30-7 p.m. with David Maring, a retired circuit court judge and author of a historical fiction novel, “Winyah Bay.”
Hypnosis, grandma at club
Carolina Comedy Club, at Broadway at the Beach’s Celebrity Square, off 29th Avenue North in Myrtle Beach, has special events on this evening, each for $15. Details at 839-2565 or www.carolinacomedyclub.com:
▪ Comedy Hypnosis Show with Herb McCandles, 7 p.m.
▪ Grandma Lee, an Oklahoma City native and widowed mother of four grown children, 9:05 p.m.
Sports, sculpture in exhibits
Two special national exhibits continue in Georgetown County, both free with respective admission:
▪ “Hometown Teams: How Sports Shape America” Smithsonian Institution traveling exhibition, through Sept. 5 at Georgetown County Museum, 120 Broad St., Georgetown, open 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays and 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturdays. $5 ages 19-59, $4 ages 60 and older, $2 ages 7-18, free ages 6 and younger. 545-7020 or www.georgetowncountymuseum.com.
▪ National Sculpture Society’s 82nd annual Awards Exhibition, through Nov. 1 at Brookgreen Gardens, on U.S. 17, between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach, across from Huntington Beach State Park, open 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. daily. $15 ages 13-64, $13 ages 65 and older, and $7 ages 4-12, and free ages 3 and younger. 235-6000 or www.brookgreen.org; and www.nationalsculpture.org.