Mopars, art among events
▪ Opening of National Sculpture Society’s 82nd annual Awards Exhibition, continuing through Nov. 1, at Brookgreen Gardens, on U.S. 17, between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach. Free with admission, which lasts seven days: $15 ages 13-64, $13 ages 65 and older, and $7 ages 4-12, and free ages 3 and younger. Gardens open 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. daily. 235-6000 or www.brookgreen.org, and www.nationalsculpture.org.
▪ Opening of fourth annual “Mopars at the Beach,” with “Shootout” at Rockingham Dragway, 2153 U.S. 1 N., Rockingham, N.C. (www.rockinghamdragway.com). Gates open 8 a.m.. Race event $25, and “Show n’Shine: admission $15 – both for car and driver – and walk-in general admission $10. Details at 803-361-3362, 803-461-7708 or www.moparsatthebeach.com.
▪ Horry County Gullah Geechee Festival, continuing with marketplace opening at 8:30 a.m.; panel discussions 9 a.m.; start of festivities, noon; continued panel discussions, 1 p.m.; and “Gospel Explosion,” 5 p.m., at C.B. Berry Historical & Community Center and Vereen Memorial Gardens, 2250 S.C. 179, Little River. Email GullahHorry@yahoo.com or reach host site at 249-4157.
▪ Craft show benefitting Safe Haven 4 Cats – which traps, spays/neuters and releases feral cats, and find homes for cats suitable for adoption, also with goal to build cat sanctuary – 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at The Cooper House, 6011 Dick Pond Road, Socastee. 448-7083, or host site at 236-7077.
▪ Second annual Back to School Supply Drive, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at Myrtle Waves Water Park, open until 7 p.m. at U.S. 17 Bypass and Mr. Joe White Avenue Extension in Myrtle Beach. Anyone who donates items worth at least $5 collectively will receive same-day park admission of $13.99 each, plus tax, for all heights and ages 3 and up, plus free admission the next day, Sunday. 913-9250 or www.myrtlewaves.com.
▪ “Back to School Bash and Fundraiser,” 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at Coastal Leadership Academy charter school, 3710 Palmetto Pointe Blvd., south of Myrtle Beach, off U.S. 17 Bypass, south of S.C. 707. Meals $10 a plate – dine-in or to go. 294-9337 or www.coastalleadership.org.
▪ Myrtle Beach Car Club cruise-in, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Surfside Shine Car Wash, 600 U.S. 17 Business S., Surfside Beach, at Surf Pine Drive. 742-9802.
▪ “Music & Wine Saturday,” noon-6 p.m., with music until 5 p.m. by Creampuffs & Bourbon, at La Belle Amie Vineyard, 1120 St. Joseph Road, Little River, just west of North Myrtle Beach Middle School. Free. 399-9463 or labelleamie.com.
▪ “The History of Roots and Ethnic Music in South Carolina,” with John Fowler, 1 p.m. at Horry County Museum (open 9 a.m.-5 p.m.), 805 Main St., Conway. Free. 915-5320 or www.horrycountymuseum.org.
▪ “The International DOTA 2,” 5 p.m. at Cinemark at Coastal Grand mall, off Seaboard Street in Myrtle Beach. $20 adult, $19 senior/student, $18 child. 839-3225 or www.cinemark.com.
▪ USA Dance Grand Strand Chapter 6024 monthly dance, 6:30-10 p.m. at Myrtle Beach Base Recreation Center, 800 Gabreski Lane, close to Horry-Georgetown Technical College Grand Strand Campus. Bring dish to share for community table, beverages provided. Members $7, otherwise $9. 570-881-0244, www.usadancegrandstrand.org, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ UR1 concert, 7 p.m. at Homewood Baptist Church, 3290 Highway 319, Conway. Free. 685-0070 or email email@example.com.