‘Mr. Peabody’ in series
The “Summer Kids Series,” with a different family movie at 10 a.m. every Thursday, continues with “Mr. Peabody & Sherman.” Details at 272-6598 or www.carmike.com/Events/Category/8.
Details | at Carmike Cinemas 12 at Myrtle Beach mall, U.S.17 and S.C. 22, near Briarcliffe Acres, for $4, including a small popcorn and small beverage.
Special days for children
Never miss a local story.
“Children’s Activity Days,” for ages 4-12, continue daily through Saturday, with the theme “Music Makers,” including the making of musical instruments to take home for play, celebration and jewelry. Details at 235-6000 or www.brookgreen.org.
Details | 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. at Brookgreen Gardens (open 9:30 a.m. daily), on U.S. 17, between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach; free with admission, which lasts seven days: $14 ages 13-64, $12 ages 65 and older, $7 ages 4-12.
Movies in two parks
Two towns have movies outside, both for free:
• “Rio 2,” in series finale, 9 p.m. in Surfside Beach’s Martin Field, at Dogwood Drive and Sixth Avenue South, free. Details at 650-9548 orwww.surfsidebeach.org
• “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2,” at dusk, in Calabash (N.C.) Town Park, 868 Persimmon Road. 910-253-2031 orwww.brunswickcountync.gov.
Various concerts outside
Choose from these free outdoor concerts series:
• Blackwater Rhythm & Blues, 6:30 p.m. in Rourk Gardens, on Main Street in Shallotte, N.C.910-253-2031
• “Music on Main,” with Gary Lowder and Smokin’ Hot, 7-9 p.m. in North Myrtle Beach’s Horseshoe, at Main Street and Ocean Boulevard. 280-5570, ext. 1, orparks.nmb.us/Page.aspx?id=11
• “Music on the Green,” with Tracy Thompson and the Denny Hess Trio, 7-10 p.m. in Myrtle Beach’s Valor Memorial Garden, on Farrow Parkway at The Market Common. 839-3500 orwww.marketcommonmb.com
• “Hot Summer Nights,” with Painted Man, 8-11 p.m. in Myrtle Beach’s Plyler Park, at Mr. Joe White Avenue and North Ocean Boulevard.ww.myrtlebeachdowntown.com
‘Opry,’ ‘Vibrations’ discount
Local discounts, covering residents of 12 proximate counties, including Horry, Georgetown and Brunswick (N.C.), continue through Sept. 13 for “The Carolina Opry” and “The Good Vibrations Show.” Details at 913-4441, 800-843-6779 or www.thecarolinaopry.com.
Details | Each 7 p.m. — through August, “Opry” on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Aug. 31, and “Good Vibrations” Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays — at Calvin Gilmore Theatre, U.S. 17 Business at U.S. 17 Bypass at north tip of Myrtle Beach, for 50 percent off all tiers at these regular rates, plus tax: $34.95, $45.95 or $49.95 ages 17 and older, $17 ages 3-16, and $23 for students with ID, with six-person limit.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeach