Splash at water parks
All three local water parks are open on this federal holiday, and prices vary per site:
• Splashes Oceanfront Water Park, across from Family Kingdom Amusement Park, 300 S. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. 916-0400 orwww.familykingdomfun.com
• Myrtle Waves Water Park, at Mr. Joe White Avenue North Extension and U.S. 17 Bypass in Myrtle Beach. 10 a.m.-7 p.m. 913-9260 orwww.myrtlewaves.com
• Wild Water & Wheels, 910 U.S. Business S., Surfside Beach: 10 a.m.-9 p.m., including concert 5-9 p.m. by Below the Bassline. 238-3787 orwww.wild-water.com
Also, Trippo inflatable beachfront water slide, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. at First Avenue South and Ocean Boulevard in North Myrtle Beach. 280-5674 or 280-5620.
State parks open daily
Both area state parks are open every day of the year, including this holiday, 6 a.m.-10 p.m., for walks, bicycling, and nature and bird watching. Details at www.southcarolinaparks.com:
• Myrtle Beach State Park, on U.S. 17 Business, one mile south of Farrow Parkway/South Ocean Boulevard, across from Seagate Village; 238-5325 or
• Huntington Beach State Park, on U.S. 17 between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach, across from Brookgreen Gardens; call 237-4440. Also, in “Coastal Kayaking,” Mondays through October, take a guided salt-marsh tour from Oyster Landing in Murrells Inlet, for $35. Register at 235-8755 by 4 p.m. the previous Sunday.
Pick a space show
Sky Theater dome shows play Mondays-Saturdays through Sept. 1: “Legends of the Night Sky” at 11 a.m. for half-price admission, “Dinosaur Passage to Pangaea” 1 p.m., “Sea Monsters: A Prehistoric Adventure” 2 p.m., “Undiscovered Worlds” 3 p.m., “Back to the Moon for Good” 4 p.m., and “Dynamic Earth” 5 p.m.; and laser shows 6-8 p.m. hourly Thursdays-Saturdays. Also, at noon on this day: “The Science of Flight,” a free lecture by Robert Morris. Details at 910-575-0033 or www.museumplanetarium.org.
Brookgreen extends hours
“Cool Summer Evenings” continue, with extended hours Wednesdays-Fridays through Aug. 8, including on Fridays, “Concerts on the Lawn,” on this night with Big Bang Boom. Details at 235-6000, 800-849-1931 or www.brookgreen.org.
Free skating for locals
Monthly free-skate nights are today (till 11 p.m. on this night) and Aug. 18 for local residents with a VIP card. Details at 748-0302 or www.funwarehousemb.com.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeach