Salt Games begin
The second annual Native Sons Salt Games, benefiting the Surfrider Foundation Grand Strand Chapter (333-2034, 222-8288 or surfridergrandstrand.org), kick off for two full days through Sunday, include a pro-am surfing tournament and evening concerts both days, and on such activities Saturday as a children’s run for ages 5-12 at 11 a.m., bikini contest 3 p.m., and lifeguard games 6 p.m. Full schedule at www.thesaltgames.com. 448-0585.
Details | Open 8 a.m. on Ocean Boulevard between Eighth and Ninth avenues North in Myrtle Beach. Free to attend. Some contests have registration fees.
Paddlefest benefits home
The Third annual “Family Fun Day & Paddlefest,” benefiting Tara Hall Home for Boys of Georgetown County, includes paddle launches at 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for trips lasting 2-3 hours to or from Tara Hall, and for people not paddling, a festival ($10 admission) opens at 10 a.m., including live music by local groups, arts and crafts vendors, games, a children’s barrel race for ages 8-12, kayak race for ages 13-16, a pileau dinner, and door prizes. Details at 546-3000, 546-3666 or www.tarahall.org.
Details | at Mingo Creek, on Van Vlake Street, off S.C. 41/51, between Hemingway and Andrews, in northwest Georgetown County. Fee for paddlers: $30 ages 17 and older, $15 ages 8-16, and free ages 4-7 (with adult on vessel), all including paddle trip and meal; kayak rentals $10.
Some other special events• EASY ESCAPES: “Armored Cruiser North Carolina (ACR-12) and the Great War” program, showcasing World War I firearms, clothing, and equipment from costumed collectors, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at Battleship North Carolina, open 8 a.m.-8 p.m. at at U.S. Routes 17, 74, 76 and 421 in Wilmington, N.C., Free with admission: $12 ages 12 and older; $10 ages 65 and older, and active duty or retired military with ID; $6 ages 6-11; and free ages 5 and younger. 910-251-5797 or www.battleshipnc.com.
• Myrtle Beach Car Club cruise-in, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Moe’s Southwest Grill and Rotelli’s Pizza and Pasta, on Graduate Road, off U.S. 501 in Conway. Free. 742-9802.
• Conway Downtown Alive’s “Rivertown Wine-Around” wine tasting, 3-6 p.m. across downtown. $20. 248-6260 or www.conwayalive.com.
• Annual spaghetti dinner, benefiting North Strand Housing Shelter, 4:30-7:30 p.m. at Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church, 1100 Eighth Ave. N., North Myrtle Beach. $8. 504-0032.
• “Wine Tasting from the South – South Africa and South America” benefit for Brookgreen Gardens, 5:30-8 p.m. at gardens, on U.S. 17, between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach. $50 members, otherwise $65. 235-6016 or www.brookgreen.org.
• Father’s Day-themed social dance, by USA Dance Inc. Grand Strand Chapter 6024, 7-10 p.m. at Myrtle Beach Base Recreation Center, 800 Gabreski Lane, near The Market Common, with music provided by Rosalie and Jack Drust. Singles welcome, beverages supplied, and everyone’s asked to bring a snack to share. $7 members, otherwise $9. 808-3397 or www.usadancegrandstrand.org.
• Oceanfront Merchants Association’s Hot Summer Nights” soul concert by Reggie Sullivan Band, 8-11 p.m. in Myrtle Beach’s Plyler Park, at Mr. Joe White Avenue and North Ocean Boulevard. Free. www.myrtlebeachdowntown.com.
• “The Fantasticks,” 8 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays and 3 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays through June 29 at Stage Left Theatre Company, 3064 DeVille St., Myrtle Beach, between Nevers and Lewis streets, and next to Coastal Dance Centre. $15. 232-0339 or www.stagelefttheatremb.com.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeach