Summer is beginning to kick into gear, which means that many of the free and cheap events that will take place over the next two weeks in Myrtle Beach will continue throughout the summer. Here’s the list:
May 31-June 1
• The Myrtle Beach Hot Summer Nights downtown concert series begins this Saturday in Plyler Park (next to the SkyWheel). Admission is free. The concerts will take place every Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday night from 8 to 11 p.m. through Sept. 30. You might want to bring a chair.
Never miss a local story.
• Every day this summer, kids can bowl for free (two free games per day) at Waccamaw Lanes at 101 Gray Drive, Myrtle Beach. If you want to bowl with your kids, you can buy a family pass for a one-time fee of $24.95. With the family pass, up to four family members can also bowl two games per person per day. To get the free bowling vouchers and/or the family pass, you’ll need to sign up athttp://www.kidsbowlfree.com/
• Every Monday through August 25 from 7 to 10 p.m., the Oceanfront Merchants Association will be putting on a kids’ carnival in Plyler Park. Admission is free. The carnival will include an inflatable slide, bounce houses, face painting, stilt walkers, street entertainers, music and more.
• Fun Warehouse at 2349 Dick Pond Road is participating in a national Kids Skate Free program this summer for kids ages 10 and under. Each week, the kids will get passes they can use to skate for free (Monday and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.). Skate rental is not included. You’ll need to sign your kids up for the free skating vouchers at http://kidsskatefree.com/.
• The City of North Myrtle Beach is holding its Music on Main Concert Series from 7 to 9 p.m. every Thursday night through Sept. 25. Admission is free. The concerts will either be on Main Street or at The Horseshoe (11 S. Ocean Blvd.). You can find the schedule at http://parks.nmb.us/pages.aspx?id=11.
• On Fridays during the months of June, July, and August, The Market Common will be showing free movies in Valor Park. This week’s movie is “Happy Feet.” The movies start at 9 p.m. Beer, wine, popcorn and candy will be available for purchase. Bring a blanket or a chair.
• From 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, all Home Depot locations are holding a free workshop for kids ages 5-12. The kids will be building a riding lawn mower.