SATURDAY | 05.31
‘Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist’ contest
Elvis Presley Enterprises’ seventh annual “Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist” preliminary contest in Myrtle Beach will bring about 12 contestants from across the continent seeking a $1,000 prize and a berth for the national finals in Memphis, Tenn., in August during Elvis Week.
At 7 p.m. Saturday, Legends in Concert, at 29th Avenue North and U.S. Bypass, next to Planet Hollywood, will be all shook up as each entrant will perform a song before the panel of judges: Cecil Chandler, co-host of WPDE-TV 15’s “Carolina & Co.”; Deacon Dawson, actor and longtime Myrtle Beach radio personality; and Melissa Armstrong, Broadway at the Beach marketing director. Leo Days, Legends’ current Elvis tribute artists, also will make a special appearance.
Tickets are the same price as regular Legends shows, plus tax: $37.95 or $42.95 for ages 17 and older, and $13.95 or $18.95 ages 3-16; booth $48.95 and $23.95, respectively per age group; and VIP $45.95 for all.
Legends in Concerts shows continue 8 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 2 p.m. Tuesdays with tributes to the Blues Brothers, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Elvis Presley, and Steven Tyler from Aerosmith.
Also, Friday is the final day of a free ticket available for active and retired military, and all teachers in Horry and Georgetown counties, with the purchase of one full price, regular adult ticket.
Details at 238-7827, 800-960-7469 or www.legendsinconcert.com.
SATURDAY | 05.31
Bevy of benefits
Pick a special cause to help on Saturday:
• Jazz concert by Stephanie Trick-Alderighi, pianist, for Help A Veteran, a nonprofit organization assisting veterans with special needs, and the Veterans Welcome Home and Resource Center of Little River, 1-4 p.m. at Grand Strand Senior Center, 1268 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach. $15 individual, or two for $25. Call 222-0718 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Backsliders, in dinner concert for South by Southeast charity helping music programs in local schools, with doors opening at 6 p.m., show at 7, at Myrtle Beach Train Depot, 851 Broadway St., Myrtle Beach. $20 advance at
, or $25 at door. 251-6402, or email email@example.com.
• Fourth annual “Wines of the World: A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” for Litchfield Ballet Foundation, 5:30-8:30 p.m. at Litchfield Dance Arts Academy, 97 Otis Drive, Litchfield Beach, including music by local singer/guitarist Don Thomas, dance vignettes by Litchfield Dance Arts Academy students, and a silent auction. $30. 237-7465 or www.litchfielddance.com.
• Annual “Great Gatsby Gala,” by Georgetown Hospital System’s Women’s Board, for Georgetown Hospital System Foundation, 7 p.m. at Pawleys Plantation Golf & Country Club, 70 Tanglewood Drive, Pawleys Island, off U.S. 17. $125. 652-8080 orwww.georgetownhospitalsystem.org/womensboardgala
SEVERAL NIGHTS EVERY WEEK | Through August
Outdoor events at The Market Common
The Market Common, off Farrow Parkway in Myrtle Beach, has shifted into full gear for summer, and almost all the special events are free:
• Horse-and-carriage rides, 5-8 p.m. Fridays from outside La Dolce Lusso Salon and Spa, 3060 Howard Ave.
• “Paws Parade,” Saturday in Valor Memorial Garden, with registration at 10 a.m., for $15 per dog, or $10 each for two or more, benefiting Grand Strand Humane Society (3241 Mr. Joe White Ave. Extension, Myrtle Beach – 918-4910 orwww.grandstrandhumanesociety.com)
• Second annual “Meet-and-Greet Block Party” with Carolina Panthers TopCats cheerleaders (www.panthers.com/cheerleaders/index.html) , 6-8 p.m. Saturday, outside La Dolce Lusso Salon and Spa. 839-2655 or dolcelusso.com
• “Music in the Streets,” 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays through Aug. 27 in gazebos, with face painting for children.
• “Music on the Green” concerts 7-10 p.m. Thursdays in Valor Memorial Garden: Painted Man on June 5, July 3, and Aug. 7 and 21; Tracy Thompson and the Denny Hess Trio June 12, July 10 and Aug. 14 and 28; Austin Mowery Band June 19; Josh Brannon Band June 26 and July 31; Paul Grimshaw July 17; and Hot Sauce July 24.
• Starting next week: “Movies Under The Stars,” at dusk on most Fridays in Valor Memorial Garden: “Happy Feet,” from 2006, on June 6; “Annie” (1982) June 13; “Freaky Friday” (2003) June 20; “Toy Story” (1995) June 27; “Field Of Dreams” (1989) July 4; “A Bug’s Life” (1998) July 11; “Honey, I Shrunk The Kids” (1989) July 18; “Space Jam” (1996) July 25; “Cloudy with a Chance Of Meatballs” (2009) Aug. 15; “Monsters University” (2013) Aug. 22; and “G-Force” (2009) Aug. 29.
Details at 839-3500 or www.marketcommonmb.com.
NIGHTLY AND MONTHLY | Starting 06.01, 06.05
‘Summerfest!’ ‘Alive After Five’ open
Two regular celebrations that emerge every summer make no exception in 2014, and they’re both free.
Barefoot Landing, on U.S. 17 in North Myrtle Beach, has “Summerfest!” 7-11 p.m. nightly, June 1-Aug. 3, including:
• Boardwalk entertainers from stilt walkers to magicians, clowns, Nigel & Ally’s Traveling Dance Party, children’s karaoke, and Nick Pike, a unicyclist, juggler and comedian who has competed on NBC’s “America’s Got Talent.”
• Fireworks 10:15 p.m. Mondays, weather permitting.
• Free carousel rides on Saturdays.
Details at 272-8349 or www.bflanding.com.
Also, Conway Downtown Alive presents “Alive After Five” 6-8 p.m. on the first Thursday monthly from June through November downtown in the seat of Horry County. Festivities kick off June with at Third Avenue and Main Street, with a classic car cruise-in and a concert by the Parrot Party Band. Details at 248-6260 or www.conwayalive.com.
MONDAY | 06.02
‘Holes for Heroes’
Miniature golfers are invited to play all day 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday in the fourth annual “Holes for Heroes” event, with donations benefiting the American Red Cross locally.
Gather at Gilligan’s Island Funland Golf, 3009 U.S. 17 Business S., Garden City Beach, across from Kroger and the Jensen’s community. Call 651-4220. Food and beverages will be available for purchase, along with face painting and balloon artists. All proceeds will go to the Red Cross’ Coastal S.C. Chapter, which based in Myrtle Beach, serves Horry, Georgetown and Williamsburg counties. Details at 477-0020 or www.redcross.org/sc/myrtle-beach.